Why Jake and Tom Trbojevic are the future of the Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Why Jake and Tom Trbojevic are the future of the Manly Sea Eagles
DECEMBER 19, 20158:51PM

Bob Fulton key to rebuilding of Manly Sea Eagles
external

origin:video_integrator.ZpNW1reTr-D9y3lCZQOeNb37Duwvj9ba

JAMES HOOPERThe Daily Telegraph
  • Email a friend
HERE’S another reason why the Manly Sea Eagles have undergone the strongest roster overhaul of any NRL club over the off season.

Aside from landing $2.5 million worth of new recruits, the Sea Eagles also boast two of the NRL’s best emerging prospects in home grown local juniors Jake and Tom Trbojevic.

The brotherly pairing might be polar opposites as far as playing styles are concerned but when it comes to raw talent, there’s only a struck match between them.

At 21, older brother Jake collected Manly’s Roy Bull award as the club’s best and fairest player last season after leaving a trail of more experienced opposition forwards in his wake.

The Australian Schoolboys product has already made a name for himself at Sea Eagles training, where the rookie forward consistently wins the majority of wrestling and collision drills.

Retired champion forward Mark Carroll told The Sunday Telegraph Trbojevic was among the best emerging front rower’s in the NRL.

“I’ve never met the kid but from what I’ve seen he looks like he’s got plenty of old school about him,” Carroll said.

“He reminds me of a slightly different version of Shane Webcke. Webcke just wanted the ball and he wanted to hurt you.

“This kid looks the same. He’s got a real tenacity about the way he goes about his work.

SACRIFICE: Roberts needs to give up $300,000 to join Brisbane

RETENTION: Burgess helps Souths keep dual-code star

“It’s funny, I didn’t really find my feet as a front-rower until I was 28. This kid’s 21.

“From what I’ve seen he looks like he’s got a good motor on him too so the reduction in interchange won’t hurt him at all.

While Jake’s game is built around brute strength, Tom Trbojevic is all about speed, finesse and an instinctive finishing touch.

78880175e706bd6d36ee21ecb2506321

Jake Trbojevic won Manly’s player of the year award.Source:News Corp Australia

Tom, 19, already stands 194cms and knocked back Des Hasler, the Sydney Swans and the majority of other NRL clubs to remain at the Sea Eagles under the tutelage of champion fullback Brett Stewart.

“Coming in and playing first grade is such a big step and when you start on the wing it does make the transition easier,” Tom said.

“I’d like to make the transition to fullback later in my career but for now, the wing is a great place to learn.

PREDICTION: Where will your club finish in 2016?

BACKFLIP: Taylor says Farah still the Tigers hooker

“Snake is one of the best full-back’s to ever pull the boots on for Manly and in the NRL in general, to have him around training every day is just a blessing.

“I like to try and look at the best full-back’s in the game and see the little subtleties they use.

“Billy Slater and Brett Stewart are the two I’ve probably spent the most time studying.”

With the additions of Nate Myles, Martin Taupau and Lewis Brown providing the Sea Eagles with some much-needed experience in the forward pack, Jake can take his game to the next level next year.

b59a894cb136f1c871ded47a96fa4db9

Tom Trbojevic scored eight tries in nine matches.Source:News Corp Australia

“Nate’s been a great asset to the club. He brings a lot of leadership and experience and it’s been unreal for me to have him join the club and be able to help me in terms of development,” Jake said.

The Trbojevic brothers still live in the family home they have been in their entire lives in Mona Vale and were regulars on the Brookvale Oval as kids.

In total there are four Trbojevic brothers, with Luke, 16, a talented cricketer and Ben, 14, earmarked as an emerging backrower for the Mona Vale Raiders.

“Sitting on the hill was one of our favourite things as kids. We watched Snake, Steve Matai and Jamie Lyon whenever we could,” Tom said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/se...s/news-story/c0a74b5632704783c2faaae0e0c97790

Jake ( and Tom) has set a high standard in 2015. I hope he improves a little each year. I really think he has as a great footy brain. He will be a leader of the future.

So much for this deal with Hasler NOT to poach players between Manly & his Dogs.
Already tried stealing Foran when he was actually playing & possibly the catalyst to his form slump since.
Then tries a play at the turbo's.
The hide of them to play the hands off Klemmer card because we have this deal to not sign each others players....BS.
At least they were good enough to steal She Rex...great signing Des....did you backend his contract too??

I still say that Jake reminds me more of Glenn Lazarus than anyone. He can run the ball, he has good ball skills and I would say that even after just one season in top grade he is already the best defensive front rower in the game, not just in the NRL.

We saw it so many times this year. Hard nosed opposition forwards would run at him early in games, and they found out that he could actually tackle. After that his tackle count usually stagnated not because he was falling off tackles through fatigue, but because the opposition worked out NOT to run at this kid.

In fact, I think that he's a better player at 21 than Lazarus was at that age.

And I like Tommy's attitude. He know's that fullback is his spot but he is prepared to play on the wing and learn from the best (Snake). Plus he brings much needed pace to our backline that for a number of years has pretty much relied on Snake to provide all the speed.

I don't expect it from Tommy at this stage (though I wouldn't be surprised), but barring injury I would say that Jake will make his Origin and possibly test debut in 2016.

You're preaching to the converted. I think Williame has potential, but why would you keep him ahead of one your own, who is demonstrably a better player? It can only be about money surely.

ive seen some great local talent go through manly over the many years ive been a supporter,these young men are probably the amoung best ive seen,names like ian martin,max krilich,alex tennant come to mind and the turbos will play for australia in the future imo:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I think Jake will be playing for nsw and australia next year. Tom is also going to be a future rep player, IMO he will end up playing fullback for nsw and australia too! A younger version of the Stewarts

Yes, nice to read another positive article...but it is disturbing that a professional journalist doesn't know how to use an apostrophe... On the forums - fair enough, we ain't professionals - but it really does point out what a rubbish standard is set by Murdoch's outfit.

Me fail English? That's unpossible...

Pity the NRL will ruin Jake's potential by the penalties Manly will cop during games for his tackling the opposition too hard. It already happened in 2015 too many times. Referees were wrong but it will keep on happening as Jake tackles legally but ferociously & the NRL can't cop that. Wimps will kill the game.

Des Hasler attempted to get Tom / Jake to The Bulldogs? Jesus Christ, does every coach that leaves us try and canibalise us? Piss off, and develop your own you farkwits.
We have signed Tapau, Walker, Brown, Myles, Lyon, Korosai, Myles, Lawrence, Symonds, Mateo, Parcell from other clubs.
We've developed the Turbos, Matai, Snake, DCE, Buhrer, Taufua

You're preaching to the converted. I think Williame has potential, but why would you keep him ahead of one your own, who is demonstrably a better player? It can only be about money surely.
I agree he is the better player but when releasing contracted players, you need another club who is prepared to sign them. It would be a lot easier to find a club prepared to take Gutho than it would be Williame. They probably couldn't get any takers for Brayden, such is his talent.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6