Why Storm are in GF & we are watching

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Why Storm are in GF & we are watching

Just the same as our flogging in 07 GF paved the way for our premiership last season, the 40 nil result contributed to their success this season where as we to a certain extent rested on our laurels.  In other words they had the eye of the tiger, we had the eye of a pussy cat.

Storm halfback Cronk out to atoneTODD BALYM
September 30, 2009 - 9:49AM
Melbourne halfback Cooper Cronk says he found it difficult not to take last year's 40-0 record NRL grand final defeat to Manly personally.

With skipper Cameron Smith out suspended, Cronk was called upon to captain against the Sea Eagles but the decider could not have gone worse with the Storm blown off the park right from the start.

Cronk said he struggled to come to terms with the result during the off-season but believes the Storm players have all learnt from that painful experience.

"I'm a very proud person and when things don't go right you obviously get a bit upset and worked up," said Cronk.

"At the end of the day, we didn't go out there and perform as a team.

"We had things preceding us that didn't help us but there was no excuses last year, we got out-gunned by a long way.

"A few things didn't go our way. (But) what's happened previously has definitely moulded me as an individual and us as a team to be a lot more respectful of how hard it is to get there but also again how hard it is actually to finish the day on a good result."

Re: Why Storm are in GF & we are watching

It showed all year, guys laughing as they walked aff after a loss, arguing on the field, poor options, poor positional changes.  It was all there.. 

Des is going to have one hell of a job next year lifting our guys to where they were in 2008.

I just get the impression that we will need the next generation of players to come thriugh before we will win another premiership as a lot of the current crop seem to be content with wining in 2008.

tookey link said:
Des is going to have one hell of a job next year lifting our guys to where they were in 2008.

I just get the impression that we will need the next generation of players to come thriugh before we will win another premiership as a lot of the current crop seem to be content with wining in 2008.

My thoughts aswell, complacency set in and everyone was still thinking about last year barring choc and rose. The likes of foran and co are needed to add that bit of enthusiasm.

And there are posters on this site who seem to think that poor form by players this year can be excused because we won in 2008.  A clean out would set us up for three years time.  Kite, Perry, Orford and a few others should be either let go or put on notice like Parra seem to have done, or reports suggest, to sharpen their squad up.  Does Des have the balls for it?  If he doesn't, then maybe he should be let go.

I have said before that Des' loyalty to his players could be his biggest downfall. 

It worked well for him over recent seasons and and the players repaid him (& us) with last years premiership.  But as has been highlighted above some players appear to have lost their edge that made them so good last season. Unfortunately fulfilling a career/lifetime dream does that to some.

Des has shown he can make hard decisions ie Monas, Hall, Heath & probably Bell.  But were those players thought of in the same manner by Des as say Ox & Kite??

I think it is clear that we do need generational change after 4 successful seasons, hopefully Des knows the right time to do it and does not wait until it is too late.

I think slightly differently. To go out the way we did this year should have the alarm bells ringing to anyone who thinks a Finals game can be treated lightly. Manly to bounce back much hungrier next year.

This year has been terrible to be a Manly fan for a lot of reasons. I hope we all stick with it though, and have a go next year.

DSM5 link said:
And there are posters on this site who seem to think that poor form by players this year can be excused because we won in 2008.  A clean out would set us up for three years time.  Kite, Perry, Orford and a few others should be either let go or put on notice like Parra seem to have done, or reports suggest, to sharpen their squad up.  Does Des have the balls for it?  If he doesn't, then maybe he should be let go.
Throw in wolfman,matai,bailey also.

Storm are there because of thier solid on-field performances over the past 2-3 months, as well as all that.

When many of thier players fire across the park, they really do execute well in both offense & defence.

However, F them, and I hope they get smashed again (tho I would tip them).

I am watching it to hopefully see a good, honest game of rugby league.
If the Storm start running away with it in the last 1/3 of the game, I'll lose interest mightily.

Go Eels 2009 GF!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7