Why the hate?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Spuds Bodyguard

Reserve Grader
I know there is already a number of threads on this question, but what is with all the bull**** about hating Manly?

There wasn't any of this crap in the media in 08, so what has changed since then?

Its getting to the point of ridiculous.

Because in 08 their was hate towards Melbourne.

This year we are not playing Melbourne, and people seemingly have forgotten why they hated Melbourne anyway, but remember nothingness from 40 years ago about Manly.

Spuds Bodyguard said:
I know there is already a number of threads on this question, but what is with all the bull**** about hating Manly?

There wasn't any of this crap in the media in 08, so what has changed since then?

Its getting to the point of ridiculous.

Really you "should" know the answer to that

Jeez i'm looking forward to watching the game on a projector in your backyard on sunday spud! I'll probably get naked at some stage too. That should get a crowd there.

Other than playing Melbourne we had a few other things on our side. We were the underdog, everyone loves the underdog and its part of Australian culture so its no surprise to me that the Warriors are picking up a lot more of the casual interest than us, and the other is we had a bloke called Beaver. All my friends who don't go for Manly hate us, but every single one of them would have finished "I hate Manly" with "but I like Beaver." Only Melbourne supporters that day would have said that the great man didn't deserve to go out a winner.

I was heckled at on the Train for wearing my Manly Jacket, by some bum on the train, more than likely a Tigers Supporter, I was on the Liverpool line. He basically said in very colourful words that he hoped Manly got smashed and that all of us supporters got cancer and died but in a lot more colourful language.

I replied to him that I dont get to sniff asbestos as my unit is made of bricks therefore it was more than likely he had cancer because of this, most of the train laughed however he was giving me death stares the whole way home.

I tell you what but.. This year I can really feel the hatred more so than any other year that I have experienced. I really hope we do a number to the warriors to shut everyone up. No disrecet to the warriors I rate them as a team , but this is getting ridiculous, to the point where personal attacks are getting invovled.. Lucky i'm 6'1 and 108Kg most of the lil worms think twice about gettin into an argument, Im all for having a bit of fun but this is in exusable.. Anyway GO THE SEA EAGLES... be loud and proud MAAAAAAANLY!!!!

SeaEagle007 said:
No disrecet to the warriors I rate them as a team , but this is getting ridiculous, to the point where personal attacks are getting invovled.. Lucky i'm 6'1 and 108Kg most of the lil worms think twice about gettin into an argument, Im all for having a bit of fun but this is in exusable.. Anyway GO THE SEA EAGLES... be loud and proud MAAAAAAANLY!!!!

try living in brisbane where the whole city goes for one team, the broncos! well not true exactly, half the town loves broncos the other half hate them but everyone hates manly.
like you, lucky i am 6ft3 110kgs... people say stuff from afar, but in person up close not many are brave.
also this year the hatred seems worse than ever, 99% of people on my facebook are in anti manly/pro warriors groups, have warrior emblems as profile pics etc it is much worse than 08
but in a way i am thriving on it...the win will be all the better..and i wont be letting it drop for a loooooooong time
payback is a bitch, bitches

( will admit tho, this is the most nervous ive ever been before a GF)

The H8ers can sense the inevitable Manly Win this year. IN 2008, they all assumed that the Storm were going to smash us again, and they were waiting to gloat.

The 40-0 scoreline has encased Manly as Tall Poppies for the foreseeable future.

Loving the Hate of the infantile Media, the Public just tows the line:p

I know some of you guys like being hated. But last time I wore my Manly jersey in public I was punched in the back, and is why I only wear it to games now. It's going beyond friendly banter to genuine hatred. Some comments in the media this week have been over the top, almost to the point of inciting violence. They should really tone it down

angryassdrummer said:
SeaEagle007 said:
No disrecet to the warriors I rate them as a team , but this is getting ridiculous, to the point where personal attacks are getting invovled.. Lucky i'm 6'1 and 108Kg most of the lil worms think twice about gettin into an argument, Im all for having a bit of fun but this is in exusable.. Anyway GO THE SEA EAGLES... be loud and proud MAAAAAAANLY!!!!

try living in brisbane where the whole city goes for one team, the broncos! well not true exactly, half the town loves broncos the other half hate them but everyone hates manly.
like you, lucky i am 6ft3 110kgs... people say stuff from afar, but in person up close not many are brave.
also this year the hatred seems worse than ever, 99% of people on my facebook are in anti manly/pro warriors groups, have warrior emblems as profile pics etc it is much worse than 08
but in a way i am thriving on it...the win will be all the better..and i wont be letting it drop for a loooooooong time
payback is a bitch, bitches

( will admit tho, this is the most nervous ive ever been before a GF)

I am about half that height and gee don't I get some fingers and angry stares, everyt day this week a different shirt or jersey....**** em all I say!!

I'm just itching for someone to have a go about Manly. Fair dinkum anyone tries it on they will cop it back.

fortynil said:
I know some of you guys like being hated. But last time I wore my Manly jersey in public I was punched in the back, and is why I only wear it to games now. It's going beyond friendly banter to genuine hatred. Some comments in the media this week have been over the top, almost to the point of inciting violence. They should really tone it down

You are correct. It is not simply irresponsible 'colour commentary' it is bordering on criminal. Unfortunately the results of the media-driven hate campaign are quite predictable.

Wow, I live on the Central Coast and the only time a complete stranger has put **** on me for being a Manly supporter was my first day at a new school. On the bus trip home this guy, who is now one of my best mates had worked out I was a Manly supporter and began to put **** on Manly and then Geoff Toovey. Once he started on Toovey I smacked him one in the mouth and it shut him up. To this day we still laugh about it. Turns out he is a Cronulla supporter so I had the last laugh and still do.

Hate never goes out of fashion
Wayne Heming
September 29, 2011

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/hate-never-goes-out-of-fashion-20110928-1kxby.html#ixzz1ZH2f5mRj

MANLY and Collingwood premierships this weekend would be about as popular as a double dose of the carbon tax. No football teams across the country polarise fans more than the Sea Eagles and the Magpies.
Fans whose clubs aren't contesting a grand final in either code will be cheering for the Warriors in the NRL and Geelong in the AFL - or, at least, against Manly and Collingwood.
Both clubs thrive on a ''them against us'' psyche that coaches often play to create a siege mentality among their players.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Wayne Bennett, when he was in charge of Queensland, used the ''everybody hates us'' card and, for Manly and Collingwood, it's how fans treat them every weekend.
Retired former Manly chairman and Australian Rugby League boss Ken Arthurson believes the close bond such enmity creates within the playing group could help the Sea Eagles land the premiership on Sunday. ''The hate and us-against-them mentality has built up and gathered momentum over the years to an extent where it now works in our favour,'' he said.
''I think it's jealousy as much as anything else.''
According to Curtin University cultural studies expert Professor Jon Stratton, it was the success of the predominantly working-class Collingwood through the 1920s and '30s that got up the collective noses of teams ''up the road'' who jeered the Magpie name.
It proved the start of a kind of suburban warfare that, over time, has extended to a national level.
''I think it's the tradition,'' said Stratton in a recent interview. ''They have been hated for a very long time, especially in Melbourne.
''[The hatred] is something very strong that has continued from generation to generation.''
The final word comes from prominent sports and corporate psychologist Phil Jauncey, who has spent a lot of time working with various national sporting clubs and elite athletes.
''Generally, if the public feel one side has an unfair advantage over the other, or is up themselves, they like to bring them down,'' he said.
''I think what's happened is the stereotype of the feral Collingwood and Manly fans has been perpetuated over the years. You get feral fans for all clubs, just some stick in your mind.
''The brain doesn't like to think it through, it's easier just to go along with it [the stereotype] without looking at the evidence.''
Generally, fans wanted a team to follow. ''But if you don't have someone you really like, you like to have someone you really want to hate,'' he said.
''We all find teams we don't like, Man United, Barcelona, Real Madrid, AC Milan, those teams have so much success fans become jealous, even the New York Yankees who everyone but New Yorkers want to lose.
''The Brisbane Broncos have been known to say how much people in the south hate them and how much the press writes about them, even though it wasn't always necessarily true.
''Having that siege mentality can actually help you pull together.''
Jauncey said fans paid their money and loved to have their say. ''If they go and watch a game of marbles, they'll pick someone and cheer hard for them.''
AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/hate-never-goes-out-of-fashion-20110928-1kxby.html#ixzz1ZH2Yr4NX

There are many answers to the question you proposed..

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, we live in a world where the majority are uninformed and uneducated.. this includes the general public and journalists within Australia alike.

Normally it is just friendly banter. But this finals series I can only describe it as ugly and irrational. It just shows how easily people's thoughts can be swayed by the media as I doubt most non-Manly supporters would have thought about it that much without having it reinforced every day. I don't think you could say it is a News Ltd conspiracy, but that probably isn't that far off the truth.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6