Will 30 points be enough to make the finals this year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
If you look over historical data, 30 points seems to be the magic number that qualifies you for the top 8.

This year its seems to me that 30 points wont be enough. The top 10 teams are all very close in points, and no real clear dominant force this year.

Im thinking its going to be more like 32+ to qualify.

Thoghts?

Of course im hoping for a manly Minor/Major premiership this year :)

2 byes =4points. Draw 24 rounds = 24 points
Total = 28 points
Win 3 finals and you are a grand finalist.

I really don't like top 8/16 being in finals.

bob dylan said:
I always thought 28 got a team there.

Yeah 28 is the general rule, but many seasons have seen 8th and 9th finishing on 28pts and F/A getting the team home. (like 2011 knights and dogs equal 28 pts, knight went through on F/A).

30 points seems to guarantee a spot in the 8, like in 08 for the worriers.

I think it has varied between 26 and 30 over all the year with the majority of 8th place getters being on 28 points.

Yep could be one of those years where the top 8 is a higher points cut off, if the bottom 4 continue to get belted by the middle of the pack teams.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you'll need 32 points to make the 8.
I have the Broncos, Panthers, Warriors and Eels fighting for 3 spots, with Rabbits, Roosters, Manly, Storm and Bulldogs filling the other 5 spots.

Given the raft of top 8 vs top 8 match ups heading into the back end of the year, I'd suggest that this year is no different to most others we've seen.

Since '98, there has only been two seasons where it come down to for/against to make the finals (2007 and 2011). Over the NRL period the minimum points to make it is 24 (2007) and the most being 32 (1999).

Recent history indicates that 28-30 is the minimum required and I would lean on that being no different this year, as teams 4-12 shuffle around over the backend of the season.

Chip and Chase said:
If we win the next two weeks I think we will be minor premiers.

Yep C & C I'm inclined to agree with that, only maybe subject to unforeseen occurrences (I don't want to put the mock on us).

It is that slightly strange thing about us, if we were to be minor premiers, whether we handle being favourites or prefer that underdog status...

I'd almost prefer us not to finish first, but if we do, then so be it.

Top 4 is a minimum of course. And it could be a real dog-fight for the bottom 4 too (especially 7th and 8th).

26 can get you there with a good PD, but could also miss out.
28 guarantees a spot.
Willing to bet anyone that a team on 30 points never misses out.

silvertail said:
26 can get you there with a good PD, but could also miss out.
28 guarantees a spot.
Willing to bet anyone that a team on 30 points never misses out.

Happened in 1999, but there were different factors at play for that competition, compared to now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4