Will Matai evolve or revolve in 2013?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
Love him to death, clearly one of my favourite players. Clear favourite with my 13 year old son. My five year old also calls him his favourite, but I suspect that he is too young to know why.

I am over complaining about the ban on shoulder charges. Has always been part of the game and as an ex-halfback, I always thought that it was my reponsibility to get my head out of the way of an incoming shoulder.

But, I get it. NRL has taken action to limit litigation and also improve player long-term mental health.

So, how is Steve going to adjust and excel in 2013? Still want him to be a favourite in my household.

I suggest that he creates a "shoulder-swamp" tackle. He should continue to shoot up at speed at the attacking line, particularly to shut-down an overlap. However, the "shoulder-swamp" start with a very low action, uses maximum leg power to launch into the players rib section and rather than "charge and bounce off" he should end up lying on top of the player. The other player ends up on their back-side.

Yes, pretty much a good old fashioned head-on tackle ... But with Matai like speed, power and intimidation.

Either way, I hope that he doesn't get suspended for a high shot this year.

As a fan I hope he continues his massive hits. He will need to fine tune and pick his moments carefully.

Yes, Kiwi, vast majority of his shots are good shots. That's why we love him.

But the numb-nuts will pay Matai extra special attention, so I just hope that he handles the rule changes well, but still smashes the tits off opposition players.

I'm more worried about his contact area, a genuine shoulder charge is very easy to distinguish from a good hit, but you're right, who knows what the refs will see !!

Opposition fans call him Catai as he comes in from the blindside and takes out guys and then runs off. This new rule will change his style for sure. Keep the aggression up Steve!!!

I think you will find most of Matai's so called shoulder charges are fall within the legal parameters. As long as he is attacking with his arms spread to engulf the player as his shoulder hits, its legal. The shoulder shots they are trying to get rid of are the one where the arms are kept down and the shoulder is used as a battering ram. Rugga Williams was a regular exponent of it.

I also have a lot of time for Matai and he offers a great foil for the magic of Lyon. He's fast tough, a very strong defender and knows where the try line is. His style reminds me a little of what Foran was doing two years ago. The latter is a little more careful these days, but Matai still goes hell for leather.

Matai is fine, just his high timing is the issue.

Shoulder charges are more in line with what SBW is known for with the cocked elbow getting beyond a tucked position and following through into the face, or the point of the shoulder without out-stretched arms making contact with the face.

Business as usual for Matai if he feels the need to be that way.

Darren said:
Opposition fans call him Catai as he comes in from the blindside and takes out guys and then runs off. This new rule will change his style for sure. Keep the aggression up Steve!!!

Those are some special fans Darren, must make for a few good yarns with them down at the local RSL ;)

Generally after a tackle you run back into your defensive slot unless you are marker lol

I don't know why so many people hate him? When you chat footy and you tell them you go for Manly, it's always that grub/actor/kinghitter Matai and never positive stuff like Brett's magnificent tries or Lyon magic etc.

Kiwi Eagle said:
He doesn't need to change his tackling style, his aren't shoulder charges, they are good shots

Exactly!

Matai is a true Manly Legend. Plays with heart and stayed when he could have signed for more elsewhere.:angel:

The stints on the sideline actually helped Manly in the back end of the season as his body had the required rest.

in 2013 as Stevie, according to Buzz, is 12 months older this year, he will pace himself more.
Also, he had to do the work of Tdog for the last 4 years, so he should have less stress on his right shoulder and be able to wrap it around the sweet spot :p

How many times are we going to have this argument?

Once again my favourite vid of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL6b96jaazU

Watch how many of these are "shoulder charges". I think they will do the majority of penalising post game in suspensions rather than in the game

Darren said:
I don't know why so many people hate him? When you chat footy and you tell them you go for Manly, it's always that grub/actor/kinghitter Matai and never positive stuff like Brett's magnificent tries or Lyon magic etc.

I understand why he is disliked I guess, a player that pushes the limits a lot and has a bad record for high shots. People also seem to have a problem with him being down injured a lot

Wouldn't trade him for any other centre though :)

I agree KE, Stevie is just a character and we don't have many of them. He's also loyal as well which is forgotten. He plays hard and gets stuck in, even in obvious pain and difficulty. Guys like him will be missed when he finishes up. Couldn't never picture him in a Sharks uniform (rumour in 2012 they were chasing him)

lsz said:

Watch how many of these are "shoulder charges". I think they will do the majority of penalising post game in suspensions rather than in the game

I counted 1 shoulder charge. That was the one on the Brisbane girl catching the ball. But even that was touch and go. Matai hits front on and looks to wrap the player up. That saved his big hits from being classed as a shoulder charge.
I believe a shoulder charge is when you tuck the elbow in to your body hit with the shoulder and make no attempt to wrap the player up.
The problem for matai is that his big hits are as dangerous as shoulder charges. The immediate thought will be penalty shoulder charge. But the replays show the intent and his front on technique.Hopefully his tackles gets judged correctly.
It makes a mockery of what they are trying to achieve by removing the shoulder charge. Maybe more players will copy his style.
Btw I don't mind the banning of the shoulder charge as long as hard hits are still allowed, and it doesn't become a nanas game. No offence to the nanas out there.

There are very few centres running around that I would trade Stevie for, he is tough, skillful, defensively imposing, a metre eater from dummy half, and more importantly a great clubman. One of my favourite memories of last year was that shot he put on Hally, absolute gold.

This shoulder charge rule won't affect him too much, his shots are pure most of the time. He does get a little high and tends to swing the arm, but that's his aggressive style, you've got to take a little bad with the loads of good.

Darren, "blindsiding" players isn't a cat act. It shows great timing, anticipation and an ability to read the attack. He'll keep plenty of players nervously looking out of the corners of their eye down our LHS, and that means they aren't concentrating on what they are supposed to be doing.

Long live the Hitman.

By the way what is everyones favourite Stevie ??

Stevie Buzzcut, Stevie Fro, Stevie Cornrows or Stevie Ponytail ??

I think I like Stevie Fro the best.

I think Matai is underestimated in attack due to his deserved reputation of his punishing defence. Has changed many games with his dummy half busts where he must be rated 1 of the best in the game. His bust up the left hand side in the dying minutes of last years Bronco game was the main play in the Winning Wolfman try. A great allround centre no doubt.

It's also interesting that the sprint coach in his vid (on the mwse site) rates Matai as one of the fastest in terms of acceleration over a short distance, hence his metres from dummy half.

He also gave Kane Lawton and Brenton Lawrence a huge wrap for their speed and for Lawrence it's great for a prop and some exciting times ahead. He said whilst the wingers and fullback probably reach about 36kmh to 37kmh, he's aiming to have a large group of the players to be reaching a speed of 34 - 35kmh over 20m-30m, the critical distance in NRL. To put it in perspective, he suggested Usain Bolt would reach a speed of about 42kmh during a 100m race. An interesting video if you haven't seen it.

Dan79 said:
lsz said:

I counted 1 shoulder charge. That was the one on the Brisbane girl catching the ball. But even that was touch and go. Matai hits front on and looks to wrap the player up. That saved his big hits from being classed as a shoulder charge.
I believe a shoulder charge is when you tuck the elbow in to your body hit with the shoulder and make no attempt to wrap the player up.
The problem for matai is that his big hits are as dangerous as shoulder charges. The immediate thought will be penalty shoulder charge. But the replays show the intent and his front on technique.Hopefully his tackles gets judged correctly.
It makes a mockery of what they are trying to achieve by removing the shoulder charge. Maybe more players will copy his style.
Btw I don't mind the banning of the shoulder charge as long as hard hits are still allowed, and it doesn't become a nanas game. No offence to the nanas out there.

Yep, 1 shoulder charge is all I could find as well. The same one you found.

Thanks for the many wise responses; Manly fans, as well as Manly club men are a cut above the rest!

Sounds like we all love his aggression and the legal purity of his head on tackling style. But I still maintain that his success in 2013 will hinge on whether the administration acknowledges his aggressive style and talent or whether they will gun for him at the hint of any anti-Manly hysteria in 2013.

Exhibit A for any 2013 defence for Matai should be the video clip attached to this thread. Just watched it for the 100th time and it is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L and P-U-R-E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8