Williams a chance to fulfill dream

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/williams-a-chance-60595

17/11/2008 1:57 PM
Steve Orme
Sportal

David Williams has played down his chances of earning a shock selection in the Kangaroos' starting line-up for Saturday's World Cup Final showdown with the Kiwis in Brisbane.

Williams made the most of his Test debut scoring a hat-trick against the Kumuls in Townsville on last weekend and is the obvious replacement for injured flyer Brent Tate who succumbed to a hip injury in his side's 52-0 demolition of Fiji.

The bearded 22-year-old, who amazingly only made his NRL debut against the Broncos a matter of months ago, declared himself ready to go if required but expressed sympathy for his team-mate should he be forced out of the decider.

"It's not the way you want to get a spot in the squad but that's football these days, it's probably the only way you usually get a spot," Williams said at the side's recovery session in Sydney on Monday.

"It's how I got a spot at the start of the season and if it happens it happens."

Asked how Tate had pulled up on Monday morning after suffering the bizarre injury which saw him fall to the ground in agony without a hand being laid on him, Williams revealed: "He's a bit disappointed that he didn't get to finish the game but I think he's hopeful that his injury will come through and I think he should be sweet going into the rest of the week hopefully."

Williams, however, was willing to indulge the assembled media scrum when asked if he was responsible for Tate's downfall.

"I saw a sniper in I think it was the fifth row from the top (of the grandstand) but I've got an alibi - I'm not saying I wasn't an accomplice," he joked.

Meanwhile, the game's newest cult figure said his high-profile team-mates have helped keep him grounded throughout his dramatic rise to the top and said he has already begun mentally preparing for the game of his life if required.

"It's (playing in a World Cup Final) one of those things you always dream of - same as the grand-final and even just playing first grade," he said.

"But I suppose I've just got to get serious about it and put my head down and focus about it but it's not there yet so we'll see how we go."

We should have had wolfie signed up for 3 year half way through the season.  His asking price will go up even further if he plays on saturday night.

Cuthbo revisted.

Canteen Worker link said:
Tookey, halfway through the season he was a less than 10 games in first grade. Bit rich to suggest the crystal ball.

But after 10 games he had shown enough to suggest that he would have at least been a good backup to Robbo and Bani. 

If you look at who we have in NSW cup very few if any would make FG.  Wells in on $100k pa and halfasanga $110k.  We could have signed woflman up for $75k for a couple of years and he would have been a usefull addtion to reserve grade at the least.

Tookey it is not like the Bears where the 1st grade squad is full of reserve graders.  Even if we did sign him for 2 years in July I reckon he would be knocking on Mayers door wanting an upgrade

\"I saw a sniper in I think it was the fifth row from the top (of the grandstand) but I've got an alibi - I'm not saying I wasn't an accomplice,\" he joked.

maybe he could ask that sniper to take out Slater and Gallen as well

The Wheel link said:
Tookey it is not like the Bears where the 1st grade squad is full of reserve graders.  Even if we did sign him for 2 years in July I reckon he would be knocking on Mayers door wanting an upgrade

So that's where Norths went wrong.  Signing to many manly reserve graders.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4