Wolfman may get the punt

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Wolfman may get the punt

By Dean Ritchie

November 06, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24607663-5001023,00.html

WINGER David Williams was yesterday named to debut in Australia's World Cup side to play PNG this weekend - but there are no guarantees he will be retained by the premiers Manly.

The Daily Telegraph understands Williams' manager David Riolo will next week hold contract negotiations with Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler.

Williams is on a modest $50,000 base contract this year with Manly preparing to give him a considerable pay increase when his deal expires at the end of next season.

But with salary cap issues, Manly privately claim they will not be rail-roaded into paying Williams a massive contract in the vicinity of $250,000 a season.

If Williams asks for such a contract, he may well be told to look elsewhere.

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer would not discuss the Williams negotiations but did say: "The club has five players off contract next year.

"David's selection in the Australian side only adds to the complexity of the entire situation."

When asked if he expected a contract upgrade, Williams said: "I certainly hope so. I'll look more into that after this (World Cup)."

I've got a lot of love for the Wolfman, but $250k for a winger who played 20 odd decent games is outrageous.

Manly and Riolo have been negotiating since about July, I bet Manly wish they'd nabbed him on a new deal earlier!

The club isn't stupid, they'll do the right thing.  Besides, we still have him for 09 and of course it'll be better to sign him earlier (and for cheaper no doubt).

Although from what Will said about paying $250k for 20 or so games is a lot, what about young Hoppa and even tony Williams!  i can't remember what they're on but dang!

This story is only in the news because he's making his debut on the weekend.  

Just Riollo getting some free column inches and attempting a bit of pressure. It would be impossible that Manly hadn't already thought about upgrading his contract in 2009.

At the end of the day he is a winger, we have Bani waiting to replace him so I will not be worried if we lost him. Can not keep them all.

If he asks for anything more than $125k he can bugger off.  He's no certaintly to be a permanenet first grader next season even. 

Rumour has it that Robbo will be off the ESL in 2010. 

Williams has now won a premiership so he will probably return to Parra knowing that he will never win another one again if he does. 

There must also be doubts as to how long Ox will be with us. If we are chasing Pearce and cannot get him until 2011 then ox may play another season in 2010.  If we get Pearce or Carney in 2010 then ox will go to ESL which will free up a lot of money.

The recruitment team has done a great job over recent years - I am sure they will be in the best position to make the right decision around retention.

I think Williams will be realistic, he is a winger, and there are other positions on the field that deserve a pay increase over him.

I would say he will get a decent increase to take him over or around 100k, but more than that for a winger is a joke.

Williams has one huge factor in his favour if he regrows his beard and that is marketability. As the Wolfman he is much more than just a winger - he becomes a Brookie and RL cult figure. Obviously not one of the superstars but it does give him a lot more than any other winger going around. I would be basing any increase on this aspect of his retention.

Given a bit more time in Fg Bani would become a cult figure too.  Maybe he should change his name to Bani Obama?

Tookey, I hope you're NOT right about us chasing Pearce, he's just not that good.  He reminds me of Luke Dorn, all promise, but fades.  Carney yes.  Williams is good and will get better if he stays and surely he knows that, but we've got other wingers around waiting so if he left it's no big deal.  His defense is a problem and it was interesting to see just how many times Bell helped him out in that department.  150K max.  If he goes elsewhere he'll sink.  I'll be sad to see Robbo go.  An excellent finisher.  The 'Ox situation' should be left for another thread.       

I know for a fact that we chased pearce very hard before the roosters signed him.

Also Pearce is not happy at the rooters and wants to leave.

Don't forget that he is still only 19 and is eligible to play Toyota cup.  He had a reasonable SOO debut and will only get better.

Put him in the Manly system and he would be a much better player.  Carney would as well and so would Tim Smith who we also chased last year.

Wingers are important but no club pays overs for them. However, managers love to let slip stories like this to force clubs to pay as much as possible.

I agree Canteen Worker, you hear stories like this all the time. Ballin was definitely leaving us for Brisbane, Watmough to the Dragons, Cuthbo to Tigers etc.
I reckon we will sign him for around 150-175.

Headlines like this annoy me. Williams has not said he wants to go and Manly don't wish to punt him at all.

It will ultimately depend on Wolfman and his management as to whether he wants to stay for what money we are prepared to pay him. Silly headlines attempting to stir up interest. Pepi is spot on!

eggson link said:
Although from what Will said about paying $250k for 20 or so games is a lot, what about young Hoppa and even tony Williams!  i can't remember what they're on but dang!

Hoppa isn't really on anything yet. Whatever it was reported that his contract was worth, don't believe a thing of it - if it said he was capable of earning 300k a year, then the incentives/requirments of him picking up that pay check would be like captaining Australia and winning the Clive Churchill medal. Is he even in Manly's top 25 yet? He won't be getting even as much as the Wolfman got this year...

Tony Williams is getting solid coin. No doubting it. But he hasn't been bought as a winger. 200k for a second rower is not insane money. If you're a second rower who is likely to play 20+ games and have that match-winning ability, you will get your 200k pretty easily.

Our wingers this year were perfect. Both underrated. Both excellent finishers. And their combined salary would've been less than 175k.

I think his next contract will have a lot of sponsorship backloading!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7