Wolfman next to go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
amazing that everyone knows what our salary cap position is....but none of the other clubs are known let alone be over...

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/david-williams-could-be-squeezed-out-of-manly-12977/

He was only just signed this year, it was a close run thing. Given we are trying to keep hiku and have a few other decent wingers that would be cheaper, I imagine Wolfie will be off to the UK

I must admit, i was surprised they re-signed Wolfie. Love the guy, but with the players the club signed, and Hiku waiting in the wings, i thought Wolfie's days were numbered.

His finishing last year was as good as ever. As someone else mentioned, he probably would have scored the try that Hiku missed this week.

Well if he is suddenly surplus to requirements I hope he does get a gig in the UK. He deserves better than running around in NSW Cup, and they'd love him over there.

He's solid without being spectacular.
That said, I'd take Hiku and Taufua over Wolfy any day.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
His finishing last year was as good as ever. As someone else mentioned, he probably would have scored the try that Hiku missed this week.

But he probably misses the tackle that Hiku makes with ease.

Williams only downfall is that in big games he's suspect under the highball and was found out in the GF but also a few years ago when he played in the SOO.

Love the guy but Gift is more important to the team at the moment.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

He hasn't scored at all this year. What makes you think he'd get that one?

Love Wolf, and do not agree with the negativity against him atm.

That said, i was opposed to re-signing him last year. It was obvious with the players due to come of contract that we needed to make some tough decisions.

But we didn't and now Wolfie has every right to dig in his heels and play out his contract.

Regardless of everything, don't write wolfie off, he will play plenty more first grade this year and score important tries for us!

Stevo said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

He hasn't scored at all this year. What makes you think he'd get that one?

He probably would of let in a few too. He has been very ordinary this year, I think it's nightmares from the GF.

Like George Wolfie has been tremendous value as a popular figure for the club, the girls swoon and his at times "out there" hair and facial hair makes him one of those special players that people feel good about.

But , and like many others, Wolfie is coming to the end of his career, there's plenty of wingers out there, some can jump higher, many are faster, and some can tackle better.....from what I have seen to date Blair does many of these.....although no doubting he currently lacks the match experience that Wolfie offers.

I agree with a few on here, his best days are probably past him and if the club wanted to keep others (such as Peta Hiku) then unloading Wolfie is probably a small step that they can take to make this happen.

Like George gone but never forgotten!!

David williams career to this point has been on the back of jamie lyons brilliance, wolfie positional play in defensive raids is as terrible as high ball skills.

hiku will end up as a centre in years to come

Praps its been the wet conditions, but both Wolfy and Lyon seem slower this year. The right side attack is not as convincing, DCE is carrying an injury, Gifty and Lyon > Wolfy have not found their 'timing'.
This has not been the case in previous seasons, where this combination of players have got off to flying starts. I think Hiku at right wing is worth a try, but overall, he just doesn't look fast enough to play wing. Yes, he is going to be a future Manly centre.
If his D is good then praps he can compensate for his lack of speed : with skill and feed the ball BACK IN from the wing to Lyon or Snake in clever ways.

But i think its about time 2V tried something different and Blair or Gutherson or Satini might just be the answer. Hiku, Blair, Satini, should be given two matches to see how they perform at NRL level on the right wing.
After much reflection, i agree that the Wolfman's days are probably over, and re-signing him was actually a mistake cap wise.

Its a dog eat dog world, and you are only as good as your last match. MWSE as a business cannot afford passengers. There are a couple of forwards i get stuck into, who are NOT impressing, but that is not relevant to this thread.

So, according to the Daily smellograph:-

1. Brett Stewart to Bulldogs
2. Peta Hiku to Warriors
3. David Williams (booted from the club)
4. Glenn Stewart to The Raiders / Bulldogs
5. Jake Trbojevich being sought by most clubs
6. Jamie Buhrer to Panthers of Chooks
7. Steve Matai calling for a mass exodus
8. Matt Ballin looking for his last contract

LOL....we'd have no club left..hahahah

So 2008 never happened mungabarry :huh:

A 20 year old Parra NYC Player who comes to Manly, had to fake it as a Winger, score numerous tries, including in an historical GF, Kangaroos in Townsville, WCC in Leeds all from the brilliance of Manly's five eighth at that time -Killer :mad:

Pathetic dismissal of a dedicated and amazingly talented Player's contributions over these past six years :dodgy:

Lucky for Choc that his terrible 2007 GF performance was allowed for by the Manly people :cool:

I'm no doctor, but damaging a previously ACL damaged knee, a week before the Season start, may slow Wolfie down. Took Gifty and Buhrer a few months to recouperate last year from leg injuries.

So from now on,Manly' s RHS will be a Fortress?! Well, apart from last week's Sharks try of course :dodgy:

I can not believe how quickly some have written wolfie off

Was he not one of the top try scorers last year? Did he not score the try that essentially qualified us for the gf?

I am not saying he should walk up to first grade, or that at the moment he is better than hiku, what i am saying is it is amazing how quickly he has been written off (and people wonder why players show no loyalty...is it any wonder when fans can be this fickle)

Fickle bunch on here... You can be a hero one week,on the chopping block the next.
Looks like its Wolfies turn to cop it this week.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4