Wolfman: Siddle is bananas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
MANLY utility back Ben Farrar appears certain to be the club’s No.1 for the remainder of the NRL season after star fullback Brett Stewart was ruled out for the year.

Ben Farrar is likely to fill the No. 1 spot for Manly for the rest of the season after star fullback Brett Stewart was ruled out for the year.

Stewart is assisted from the field after his round-one injury against the Tigers.

Stewart had surgery on his troublesome left knee on Wednesday, but the prognosis is far worse than first thought with the brilliant custodian gone for the season.
It was originally hoped he could be back by round 20.
Farrar, who played fullback in Manly’s loss to the Eels, will wear the No.1 jumper against the Knights in Gosford on Saturday night.
Manly coach Des Hasler broke the news to his players at Sea Eagles training in Narrabeen yesterday morning.
“It was a shock to Brett and to the entire club, but he is a fighter and he will be back as good as ever,” Hasler said.
“The operation went well and Brett will make a full recovery but it won’t be this season, that’s certain and we now have to get on with the rest of the season without him.
“The players accept that and will respond to the challenge as they did without him last year.”
Hooker Matt Ballin said Farrar can now get the job done.
“I think he did a great job last week at fullback and I’m sure he can do it again,” the Queenslander said.
“He’s a different type of player from Snake, but he’s very good under the high ball and will fill in very well.”
Manly CEO Graham Lowe said the club has the depth to cover the former NSW and Australian fullback.
“It’s tragic,” Lowe said of Stewart’s injury.
“But on the positive side, he is going to be ready for next year, that’s the way we’ve got to look at it.
“Des has got the depth in the squad to handle it and he’s got quite a few options now.
“We’ve just got to prepare without Brett now.”
Stewart went into the operation confident he would return by round 20.
He suffered a similar injury to his right knee in round six last season and did return by round 25.

Off-contract Sydney Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello says he's unfazed by rumours the NRL glamour club is chasing Manly star Brett Stewart to wear the tri-colours' No.1 in 2013.
The Roosters are considered favourites to snare the prolific tryscorer, who is believed to be chasing a $2.4 million four-year deal for what would be the 28-year-old's last big contract.

Minichiello, 32 in May, had little to say on his own future beyond this season, but said he'd need to see the Stewart signing to actually believe it.

"There's always rumours that everyone's coming to the Roosters so that doesn't worry me at all," Minichiello said on Wednesday.
"Any player that's off contract is always linked with the Roosters ... that's always been (the way) since I've been at the club the past 15 or 16 years.
"There's always players that are linked to the club and it never happens anyway."
The signing of Stewart would end Minichiello's time at the Roosters, with suggestions he could land a deal to finish his career playing rugby union in Europe.
"I'm letting my manager handle all that. Obviously if I wanted to sit down with the Roosters now, they're willing to sit down and talk about it," Minichiello said.
"I'm just going to leave that in my manager's hands and I'm just going to concentrate on playing footy for the Roosters."
Meanwhile, Minichiello backed calls for 34-year-old Danny Buderus to be considered for a NSW Origin jumper, saying the former Blues skipper's experience would be of great benefit to the side.
Minichiello himself returned to the Origin arena in 2011 after three years in the representative wilderness, and said Buderus' age should not count against him at the selection table.
Buderus has not played for the Blues since 2008, having spent three years playing with Leeds in Super League.
Asked if he thought Buderus could still handle Origin football, Minichiello said: "I think he can, yeah.
"Mick Ennis is the incumbent Blues hooker but, obviously, all positions are up for grabs and if he was picked, then I think he'd do a great job."

© 2012 AAP
Brought to you by 
http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/breaking-news-sport/minichiello-not-fazed-by-stewart-nrl-talk-20120328-1vya8.html

As reported on the Seaeagles.com.au website, the 2013 NRL season is set for a major change to the rulebook if new referees boss, Daniel Anderson, has his way.
Anderson suggested the ‘benefit of the doubt’ rule, which gives referees the power to award a try in favour of the attacking team even if video footage is unclear, should be changed to a ‘common sense’ initiative to appease fans.

“If a person watches a try, and 99 per cent of the fans say, ‘that’s not a try’, I’m thinking it’s not a try,” Anderson said. “I don’t want the one per cent decision to be the try. I don’t even want it to be used. That’s just common sense to me.
“Maybe that was a result of the policy. It’s skewed so far that people who watched the game, common-sense-wise, would say, ‘I don’t know how they got to that decision’. Maybe that wasn’t a result of the person, but the rules.”
Anderson’s rhetoric may be convincing but his step towards appeasing fans, including those who watch live rugby online, is a dangerous road to walk down. The ‘benefit of the doubt’ rule is in place to give referees a structure from which common sense can be used, without suggesting common sense is actually being used.
Many sports suffer from this problem of employing strict, objective laws to the game in order to alleviate suspicion of bias: which leads to difficulties when referees administer these laws and inevitably upset sections of the crowd.
Common sense, as nice as it would be to have the words in the NRL rulebook, is far too speculative and subjective for referees to administer. A referee should not be influenced by the crowd, as Anderson suggests they are, and a ‘common sense’ rule would only promote such scenarios.

The referee must remember it is his job to be objective, not subjective; to think in line with the laws of the game, not how the fans or pundits giving rugby tips online feel; and in this respect, it makes more sense to stick with ‘benefit of the doubt’.

When it comes to unique diets at the Sea Eagles, David Williams takes the proverbial cake.
However, the Sea Eagles winger admits even his unusual raw food diet is no match for Australian cricketer Peter Siddle’s current food regime.

John Chammas & Tim Ashworth
seaeagles.com.au
9 January 2014

00110940-leadimage.jpg

Williams’ diet, which he claims improved his form and physical health throughout last season, consists of raw meat, vegetables and an ample amount of nuts and seeds.

But despite his unusual diet, Wolfman was especially blown away by the Australian paceman’s banana intake.

“I read that, 20 bananas a day? That’s ridiculous!” Williams said.

“He’s a primate by the sounds of it. I don’t think I could compete with that, he’s got me covered definitely.”

Back at training and with only a month between now and the Sea Eagles’ first pre-season hit out against Cronulla, Williams insists his side are determined to go one better in 2014.

Manly-Warringah open their 2014 campaign against the Storm, before having to face both the Rabbitohs and Roosters inside the opening four rounds.

It isn't phasing the speedy winger, who believes the tough start to the season offers a potential launch pad for the rest of the season.

“You try and go out and beat the top teams all the time. Obviously they are going to be the benchmark, so it will be a nice early test to see how we are going,” Williams said.

Statistically, Williams enjoyed his most productive season in the NRL last year, playing every match bar one. He scored 20 tries and beat fellow winger Jorge Taufua to the post for Manly’s top try-scorer in the regular season.

But Williams insists there is still room for improvement.

“I want to increase everything from last year. Obviously go one step better with the boys and then just continually improve on how I play,” the winger said.

As for his whereabouts following the grand final defeat, Williams put an end to months of speculation by commenting that there mustn't have been a lot of effort put in to the search.

“If people wanted to find me, I was simply on my couch in Dee Why," Williams quipped.

My family and friends new where I was, so all anyone had to do was call."

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Wolfman-Siddle-is-bananas/89190

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4