Wolfman wants more

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Wolfman eyes more glory
16/02/2009 11:08 AM
Steve Orme
Sportal
http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/wolfman-wants-more-65132

This time last year, David 'The Wolfman' Williams was still dreaming of making his NRL debut for Manly while the club's big names were away on State of Origin duties - this year he plans to join them.

Williams achieved his 2008 goal ahead of schedule, making his debut against the Broncos in Round 9 and beginning arguably the most rapid rise in the game's 100-year history.

The 22-year-old played a starring role in the Sea Eagles' premiership run, scoring 14 tries in 20 appearances and was rewarded with a Kangaroos jumper less than six months after his club debut.

Speaking ahead of the Sea Eagles' departure for their World Club Challenge showdown with Leeds in a fortnight, the unassuming winger conceded playing for New South Wales is now on his to-do list.

"It's obviously a goal but I won't be expecting too much," he said.

"Even though playing for your country is everything you dream of, I think many people would agree that State of Origin is the pinnacle of our sport, so I think it would be a lot harder to claim a Sky Blue jersey."

"It certainly is a goal but I won't be expecting to walk in to that spot."

Williams understands the pressure is on him to emulate his dream debut season in 2009.

Asked how he plans to cope with the pressure, Williams said simply: "I think I'll just challenge myself a bit more."

"Last year I had a few goals which I exceeded and I think now I've just got to set more goals and just try and aim for them and play my best football."

"If I play my heart out I don't think anyone can complain."

The popular speedster admits he allowed himself to look back on his remarkable rise during his off-season break but says he is now ready to prove himself all over again.

"I pretty much looked back and appreciated what happened but in saying that it's a new season and none of that matters now if I have a bad year this year," he said.

The Sea Eagles' campaign begins with a trial match against London-based Super League side Harlequins this weekend before making the trek to Leeds to face the Rhinos on March 1 at Elland Road.

Williams insists the trip is anything but a holiday.

"None of us are taking it lightly, as Des (Hasler) said it's not really a trial game for us, we're going for a trophy and hopefully we're going to bring it back," he said.

Is Wolfy for real here ?

Sky Blue jumper harder to claim than the Green and Gold ? I would have thought the opposite with the depth in Qlds backline at the moment, and the lack of wingers in NSW

Sometimes it is true, but only because Aussie jerseys are usually handed out at the end of the year when more people are likely to be out injured after a year of brutal football or having been booked in for off-season surgery.

it would be a better contest with Lyon at 6, i know it won't happen. For multiple reasons. Lyon is a better center but for NSW he would be a better 6.

Williams better live up to all the talk he is put out for himself.

Wolfy gifted NZ a try in the WC thing and his defense is truly suspect.  He's flashy but fragile.

Let's see how he handles the second year syndrome. The Rugby League landscape is littered with the bodies of plenty of "next big things". Wingers come and go and are really reliant on those inside them to provide the opportunities. There are very few wingers you'd consider out and out game breakers. Having said that, I like the Wolfman and hope he steps it up a notch this year.

He'll kill it. I love the man as a footballer. Not the same love as I have for the Ox, but a different, yeah, you've got bling love.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Is Wolfy for real here ?

Sky Blue jumper harder to claim than the Green and Gold ? I would have thought the opposite with the depth in Qlds backline at the moment, and the lack of wingers in NSW

It was for Kitey last season.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8