Wooden Spoon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
I detest gambling, but just had a sneak peak at the betting market.

Top 4 favourites for spoon are, in order:

Penrith
Titans
Dragons
Eels

I think that the Panthers will avoid the spoon. A cursory look at their forward roster indicates that Gould has purely invested at this stage with having a formidable forward pack. Their pack will be strong throughout the year and stave off the wooden spoon. Their halves and backs are crap, so they will hardly figure in finals calculations.

Ricky is a half wit coach but still good enough to avoid the spoon.

So, really an inglorious contest between the Tits and the Dragons.

It would be rather funny if the Dragons army are silenced in 2013, but I wish that the Tits, with all of my newly found venom for their attempt to steal our Jamie Lyon Superman hero ......... The 2013 wooden spoon!

Panthers will be the surprise packets of this years comp, that doesn't mean they will make the 8, but they will be better than people think

The signings they made weren't big signings, but they were smart signings and Cleary is a clever coach as well and will get the most out of them

Illawarra for me. Rubbish roster, rubbish halves, rubbish captain, rubbish fans and rubbish coach who will be the first coach sacked in 2013.

I can't think of anyone more deserving.......well except for the purple scum, but I don't see that happening this year.

I think Penrith will struggle especially losing several of their top players. Could take a while for the young guns to become stars. In the meantime I see a rather lean year or two for the panthers.

Wests are a big unknown. They've got the talent. Is this coach the answer. If so Wests could surprise. If not they'll challenge for the spoon

Saints dont have the personnel this year. Like Penrith they have lost too many of their best players.

Auckland is like Wests. They have the personnel. It all depends on the coach.

Gold Coast may seem scratchy but they have some good talent in that side. They could be spoon fodder, but they could also make the 8

Sydney City. Good forward group. Jennings will improve their backline. I dont expect miracles from SBW and I dont think he will be their best player. Wont get the spoon but could falter with new coach. then again could make the 8

Parramatta. I think Stuart will get more out of them this year but I think they'll still struggle to make the 8.

I think Penrith will get the Spoon

MadMarcus said:
I think the Titans season will go about as well as their off season recruitment. They may not win a game.

The Gold Coast forward pack is too good for the team to get the spoon. Penrith have recruited very strongly, including Lewis Brown, Tom Humble, Jeremy Latimore, Sika Manu, Mose Masoe, Wes Naiqama, James Segeyaro and Dean Whare just to name a few.

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/teams/penrith-panthers/

St George on the other hand count as their big recruits Gerard Beale and Josh Drinkwater. They have lost David Gower, Ben Hornby, Denan Kemp, Jeremy Latimore, Ben Musolino, Beau Scott and Dean Young. Their roster is massively weaker than last year and as I said before their coach is rubbish.

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/teams/st-george-illawarra-dragons/

They will get the spoon, the only certainty for 2013 IMO.

Dragons are hard to bet against for the spoon. How are they going to create four tries per game?

manlyfan76 said:
Dragons are hard to bet against for the spoon. How are they going to create four tries per game?

I forgot to mention that they lost Kyle Stanley for the season to a training injury as well.

Ralphie said:
MadMarcus said:
I
Penrith have recruited very strongly, including Lewis Brown, Tom Humble, Jeremy Latimore, Sika Manu, Mose Masoe, Wes Naiqama, James Segeyaro and Dean Whare just to name a few.

St George on the other hand count as their big recruits Gerard Beale and Josh Drinkwater. They have lost David Gower, Ben Hornby, Denan Kemp, Jeremy Latimore, Ben Musolino, Beau Scott and Dean Young. Their roster is massively weaker than last year and as I said before their coach is rubbish.

Point taken. My second choice was Saints, though I think Drinkwater may be a surprise packet from what I've heard of his former lower grade exploits at Manly. But I'll concede Penrith have recruited heavily. But the loss of Lewis and Jennings, whether the latter was playing to potential or not, are major losses.

Bearfax said:
Ralphie said:
MadMarcus said:
I
Penrith have recruited very strongly, including Lewis Brown, Tom Humble, Jeremy Latimore, Sika Manu, Mose Masoe, Wes Naiqama, James Segeyaro and Dean Whare just to name a few.

Point taken. My second choice was Saints, though I think Drinkwater may be a surprise packet from what I've heard of his former lower grade exploits at Manly. But I'll concede Penrith have recruited heavily. But the loss of Lewis and Jennings, whether the latter was playing to potential or not, are major losses.

I agree about Jennings & Lewis, but to be honest Jennings just wasn't performing and Whare is probably nearly as good as an under performing Jennings and I think Lewis Brown will do a great job replacing Luke Lewis. The other recruits just makes their squad much much stronger than 2012 and they avoided the spoon then.

Did the Eels recruit anyone who is really going to make much difference from last year? They lost Hindmarsh, a big inspirational loss. Its more or less the same group of dud players.
Lets not forget they have Ben Roberts as their 5/8 with a fat hot/cold halfback inside him. And i am not certain Stuart will make them a better team.

Eels or Tigers or Titans

Lord Eagleton said:
Did the Eels recruit anyone who is really going to make much difference from last year? They lost Hindmarsh, a big inspirational loss. Its more or less the same group of dud players.
Lets not forget they have Ben Roberts as their 5/8 with a fat hot/cold halfback inside him. And i am not certain Stuart will make them a better team.

Eels or Tigers or Titans

Harrison, Lussick

Those two are not going to be enough to lift them. The more i think about Roberts/Sandow as their halves, the more confident i am they will not move higher than the bottom 4 all season

Lord Eagleton said:
Those two are not going to be enough to lift them. The more i think about Roberts/Sandow as their halves, the more confident i am they will not move higher than the bottom 4 all season

Think there is a high chance of seeing Hayne at 6 again at some point

Don't forget that young guy they signed from the Storm as well, Kelly I think it was

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7