World Number One side

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Interesting poll on the ABC website over which side is the true #1 in Tests.  SA had 52% of the vote, India 27% and Australia 20%.

I can't fathom why India is ahead of Australia given they can't beat us over here.  And they're about the have the heart ripped out of their Top 6 in the same way we've seen Australia's bowling decimated.  Ganguly gone, Tendulkar and Dravid pending.  Sehwag no spring chicken.  Not to mention the retirement of Kumble.  Their chance has been and gone one would think?

SA's claim to Number One is dubious for mine.  This is the first time they've beaten Aus since reinstatement, and with Smith perhaps out of the next series they might get beaten.  The scheduling of RSA vs Aus Tests is ridiculous.

At the moment I don't have a clear #1 Test side. SA have to finish the job in the return series to have a real claim and India need to win consistently away from home for the next 12-18 months to be even close to those two IMO.

i agree that india have a long way to go until they can lay claim, you need to be regularly winning away from home (that does not include just the sub continenet) to be considered truly a wolrds best side.

The Saffies certainly have the side that can do it but as said they need to continue to win for a while especially against us at home.

1 thing is for sure there is certainly interest due to the close games between these two sides at the moment

Won't stop the Indians from claiming they are the number one side. God they are painful.

We are in a hole at the moment with our bowling, we don't have an out and out match winner with the cherry. We can't take 20 wickets in a match so we can't win a test with that sort of pop gun attack. We've had a good run for 15-20 odd years, we are about to come back to the pack.

There isn't a great deal between Aus, SA, India and Sri Lanka. All could beat each other in a Test series.

However, the team I think Australia would struggle to beat the most would be India. I think we've been pretty bloody close to South Africa, and have been in winning positions only to lack the killer blow. Against India we looked completely out of our depth except for the opening two days of the first Test.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6