Worrying stat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Napper

Bencher
Last night was probably the best loss I've ever seen(if you could say that) defence was remarkable on both sides. Full credit to manly for holding the minor premiers to one try off a kick.

But I don't know if the stats are wrong or yet to be updated, but every player in our back line and starting backrow made more metres than Lawrence and Kite(who made 10 more than Lyon)

I know they probably only played half the minutes but geez, not 1 prop went anywhere near the 100m mark. In a game where JWH was missing and where the props should have been firing, we saw Foran and DCE taking hit-ups from their own 20.

I expect a massive game from Kite and Lawrence next week. Choc certainly will, no doubt about it.

Without them doing barnstorming runs, we can't win. Props draw in more defenders than DCE would taking a straight hit up. If Lawrence of Kite got a quick play the ball, we would've had better chances at scoring.

That is probably my biggest criticism from last night. We did one hit up and then straight across the line. It seemed deliberate but it didn't work. Trying three or four big runs up the middle and then toss it wide might have given us a better chance. At least some variation could have put the Chook defense in two minds. We went wide too early almost every set. That is why their stats are so low.

ManlyBacker said:
That is probably my biggest criticism from last night. We did one hit up and then straight across the line. It seemed deliberate but it didn't work. Trying three or four big runs up the middle and then toss it wide might have given us a better chance. At least some variation could have put the Chook defense in two minds. We went wide too early almost every set. That is why their stats are so low.

Yeah good point. The amount of times foran ran to his left to look for an overlap there were massive holes on his inside. Don't know why we never have Lawrence George or Kite looming on the inside in those situations.

Losing Richie when we did last night was huge. We seem to have alot more punch when he and Georgie come off the bench. They produce those barnstorming runs we desperately need and play off the back of.

Agree with manly backpacker. We seemed to do a lot of side way running last night.

Losing Faaso cost us a lot of straight running

BJ was out on his feet early -don't know if his back was still giving him grief or what.:-/

I think Fa'awesome was a huge loss and hopefully he is able to play this week :angel:

Buhrer is just too small to be on the bench, wish we would give Hasson more game time.:idea:

Gorgeous is not nimble enough to do anything but barge.
His offloads are gone, along with his side step:(

Tommy and Jorge were my two disappointments from last night.
Again, maybe Tommy has injuries, but he was not running at the line :(

ManlyBacker said:

agree !! too much side way stuff which was easier to defend against..

if we went up the middle more we would have also tired their big men more..

next week new game..

Not much in it, Chooks front row rotation made 298, ours 223 by NRL stats. Richie didn't make many due to being unconscious. I think you'll find our back row made more metres than theirs. Both packs were all over each other all game.

We made 189 hit ups to 152; 1768 metres to 1176; three linebreaks to nil, won the penalties 12 to 5; more offloads 11 to 4, had to make less tackles 318 to 331, had more sets31/48 to 28/41.
We won every stat - yet lost the match.
Why put any faith in statistics?

The props cant make metres without the ball. We crabbed all night and let the backs try and push it up. It seemed like a deliberate tactic to beat them with speed. With no JWH we should have tried bashing more in my opinion.

Shoot me down but what we missed last night was T-Rex (circa 2011) running off Foran 5 metres from the try line. We just don't have a power forward at the moment that can carry 3 guys over the line like T-Rex at his best, George Burgess etc.

I'll go hunting on e-bay... :idea:

I think nerves got to the likes of Lawrence and a few others.

Having not played finals footy before and hearing of past players who have said that you can use up a lot of energy but being too pumped up. IMO having that hit out will hold them in good stead for their next game.

That could be it Swoop. BJ, Horo and Tommy might all have been affected.

I think having last week off hurt our polish. If we repeat our Melbourne performance, who beats us?

Mals said:
Shoot me down but what we missed last night was T-Rex (circa 2011) running off Foran 5 metres from the try line. We just don't have a power forward at the moment that can carry 3 guys over the line like T-Rex at his best, George Burgess etc.

I'll go hunting on e-bay... :idea:

Totally agree and i have been stating this for most of the year. Souths attack is nothing special but they have the ability to break the shackles with a power play try.

These players take pressure off the halves when they are struggling to create an opening in the redzone and also allows the attack to remain composed when all attacking variations have been exhausted.

They also draw in defenders tighter through the middle offering more space out wide either through the defence not sliding early and staying in on these hard running forwards or bringing outside shoulder defenders in who are worried assistance may be required.

We should have bombed to Lyon all night. IMO without snake, we never looked like crossing when we were close to their line. The couple of times we looked dangerous were in our own half and Lyon and wolf made breaks.

Lyon has a knack for sniffing out a try from a bomb and we should have done that several times second half. The last play of the match should have been a bomb with everyone chasing.

Horo and Matai could have easily leveled it up with a bit of luck with that grubber.. **** happens. We were not outplayed.

Roosters play a great game and hopefully they take it out if we do not.

A hand from Jennings 5 metres out after a scrum stopped Lyon from levelling the game up at 4-all with a kick to come.

We also missed Brett as we have a poor record without him.

No-one seems to acknowledge that their defence was outstanding.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7