Worst Aussies to Play ESL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
This little snippet was in Friday's SMH. Not sure what Guddy Schofields criteria was, but interesting to see a couple of ex Sea Eagles made his team

SCHOFIELD SLAMS MASON

Former Great Britain captain Garry Schofield has slammed Willie Mason as the worst Australian player to play Super League. Schofield, an outspoken critic of the reliance of English clubs on overseas players and coaches, used Wade McKinnon's early departure from Hull as the basis for a column on Super League's worst imports and named Mason as No.1 after his brief stint at Hull KR last season. ''He didn't just have an abysmal attitude, but he was appalling on the pitch too, '' Schofield wrote in League Express. Others to get a mention include former Manly skipper Matt Orford, whom Schofield labelled ''a disgrace'' and ex-Dragons, Eels and Roosters hooker Mark Riddell. ''His physique made me look like an Olympic sprinter,'' he said.

Schofield's team: Wade McKinnon (Hull FC), Brett Mullins (Leeds), Matt King (Warrington), Paul Mellor (Castleford), Tame Tupou (Bradford); Greg Florimo (Wigan), Matt Orford (Bradford); Mark Carroll (London), Riddell (Wigan), Glen Hall (Bradford), Willie Mason (Hull KR), Phil Adamson (St Helens), Bradley Clyde (Leeds).

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/western-sydney-panthers-goulds-taking-no-chances-20120517-1ytn4.html#ixzz1vNbmxAuc

RE: Worse Aussies to Play ESL

Fair enough Really. They were all past it but they all got paid so who is the bigger fool? Me thinks the ESL is.

I'd say Alfie as well.
It's funny most of the esl teams try bringing in these big names and 9 times out of 10 they're ordinary.

Personally if I was in charge of recruitment of one of these clubs look for a cheapie and solid player i.e Brett Delany from Leeds.

Funnily enough Lyon was one of the ESL's best ever players and he's an aussie. The quality far outweighs the rubbish imo.

Chip and Chase said:
This little snippet was in Friday's SMH. Not sure what Guddy Schofields criteria was, but interesting to see a couple of ex Sea Eagles made his team

SCHOFIELD SLAMS MASON

Former Great Britain captain Garry Schofield has slammed Willie Mason as the worst Australian player to play Super League. Schofield, an outspoken critic of the reliance of English clubs on overseas players and coaches, used Wade McKinnon's early departure from Hull as the basis for a column on Super League's worst imports and named Mason as No.1 after his brief stint at Hull KR last season. ''He didn't just have an abysmal attitude, but he was appalling on the pitch too, '' Schofield wrote in League Express. Others to get a mention include former Manly skipper Matt Orford, whom Schofield labelled ''a disgrace'' and ex-Dragons, Eels and Roosters hooker Mark Riddell. ''His physique made me look like an Olympic sprinter,'' he said.

Schofield's team: Wade McKinnon (Hull FC), Brett Mullins (Leeds), Matt King (Warrington), Paul Mellor (Castleford), Tame Tupou (Bradford); Greg Florimo (Wigan), Matt Orford (Bradford); Mark Carroll (London), Riddell (Wigan), Glen Hall (Bradford), Willie Mason (Hull KR), Phil Adamson (St Helens), Bradley Clyde (Leeds).

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/western-sydney-panthers-goulds-taking-no-chances-20120517-1ytn4.html#ixzz1vNbmxAuc

Someone should remind him that the line-up he chose would probably beat any national England team for the past 20 years.

It's funny reading Schofields comments.
I remember he was discussing great teams and puts down Wigan during the 90s (they were near untouchable then - even beat a rugby union team at there own game) just proved to me a) he was jealous and b) he had no idea

what pommy team can we pick ( good ) that has played in the NRL in the last 30 years. Ive Picked 30 as the seventies had plenty from lowe, stevens, norton, reilly, bishop, topliss, pringle, stephenson , tutty,etc

1 Jonathon Davies
2 des drummond
3 gary schofield
5 Jonathon deveraux
6 $alary hanley
7 Andy gregory
13 Phil clarke
12 gareth ellis
11 Dennis Betts
10 kevin ward
10 Adrian morley

Bench
Mike gregory
Andy platt
bobby goulding
Gareth Widdop

Cant think of much more, anyone fill in the blanks. Its a fair team though. While a few of them were overpaid only deveraux and goulding were flops IMO

Bill Ashurst would have to be the biggest flop ever.

Lee Crooks was very good at times.

Most of the aussies that go to ESL are past their prime ..go for the money... have trouble with the climate and life style ... have trouble giving 100% .. Lyon is an exception .. Beaver has succeeded because he LOVES playing footy and knows nothing else but 100%. The poms that come here know it is tough and come at their prime to test themselves against the best.

Jim Fiddler

John Gray, Phil Lowe, Steve Norton, Gary Stephens all Manly premiership winners

Anyone who remembers super league would realise the difference in quality between the Australia & English competitions, where the timing of this 1 off world cup game favours them disgracefully.
Schofield should be more concerned about the NSW Cup standard players who dominate the Poms comp & suddenly get recogised as best players worldwide in their respective positions by the pommy media.
I'm outraged!! :mad:

There was a centre who played for Easts in the late 80's whose name escapes me. I'll have to hit Google.

You also forgot Chariots. Burgess would get a bench spot IMO.

Joe Lydon was the guy I was thinking off.

jbb/james said:
what pommy team can we pick ( good ) that has played in the NRL in the last 30 years. Ive Picked 30 as the seventies had plenty from lowe, stevens, norton, reilly, bishop, topliss, pringle, stephenson , tutty,etc

1 Jonathon Davies
2 des drummond
3 gary schofield
5 Jonathon deveraux
6 $alary hanley
7 Andy gregory
13 Phil clarke
12 gareth ellis
11 Dennis Betts
10 kevin ward
10 Adrian morley

Bench
Mike gregory
Andy platt
bobby goulding
Gareth Widdop

Cant think of much more, anyone fill in the blanks. Its a fair team though. While a few of them were overpaid only deveraux and goulding were flops IMO

Needs a whole lot more Malcom Reilly

Its pretty interesting looking at the rosters of the ESL clubs, it seems like some teams sign a lot of players from an NRL club. London has a few of our old players (including our hooker of the future (of the past) Chad Randall, Hull KR has a lot of panthers players, and Hull FC has a lot of tigers.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8