• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
I have sat through all the 50, 60 and 70 point hidings through the years, but have never felt what I have watching this tonight, it has been horrendous

Normally I am yelling etc, tonight just sitting there numb

Game plan ????

I haven't seen one, other than Melbourne pressure the kicker, so everyone bar Orford have a kick

As a type this, we are all over them on attack, and it means nothing other than the fact that the dreaded 40-0 against us I saw coming will not now eventuate and we can't be hammered over that by the Storm Khunts

Matai has been outstanding yet again in a big game, G. Stewart has been enormous in defence, Kite has gone well since coming back on and Hargreaves has been pretty good as well. B. Stewart a couple of nice tackles

Orford, simply horrendous tonight. I don't recall a worse halfback game from a Manly player. Maybe it was a tactic in the 1st half to negate the kick pressure on him for the others to kick, so I can forgive that. But the running of the attack has been awful.
Our most potent move is the ball out the back to Stewart. We have used it once, when Matai scored. We can't overplay that option enough it is that potent, but it was non existent

We may as well chuck a line through Lyon for the year now.

As I type this the siren goes, 40-12. Gutting. As much as I hate to say it, that performance from Melbourne reminded me of us week 1 last season

All we can do now, is hope that the Titans, Dogs and Dragons get up, and then all is not looking as bad as it seems at the moment.
We travel to Gold Coast which would be the favoured option left, while Brisbane and Melbourne battle and a big gun is gone.
The Dragons made a semi after being flogged by melbourne week 1 1999 so the precedent is there

To finish, if I was the coach, I would have been sending a message out there to Cuthbo or JWH, to put a big hit, legal or not, on 1 or more of Slater, Inglis or Smith, with them hopefully not being required next week and not with us next season

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Orford, simply horrendous tonight................ But the running of the attack has been awful.

Orford is incapable of running an attack. Sad but true. Actually he couldn't run a choko vine over a back fence.

I actually thought that the forwards played well and held their own in the early exchanges, but stupid errors and penalties just built too much pressure on us. Agree on Matai, Glen and Kite. Actually thought Bailey was pretty good as well. Foran looks like he could develop into something special.

What would be the point in that?  I've told you Kiwi many times, Orford is just bad, and you've always defended him.  When it comes to the big play in a big game, he goes missing.  He needs to go.  Re-signing him would be a monumental mistake.  

He has made big plays in big games DSM, but tonight certainly wasn't one of them

I won't go as far as saying he needs to go, because I am still yet to see a better option

Kiwi Eagle link said:
He has made big plays in big games DSM,

Yeah right - he makes big plays in little games but never big games - thats what kept him out of SOO even when he was playing @ his best - melts under pressure

Kiwi Eagle link said:
He has made big plays in big games DSM, but tonight certainly wasn't one of them

I won't go as far as saying he needs to go, because I am still yet to see a better option

Foran in the No. 7 is the option I'd be going for. Orford isn't the answer moving forward,  he has had plenty of chances and he just doesn't deliver when we need him to. That's why he will never play rep football. We can't win without Lyon helping him.

really? Foran tried hard without much impact except for the 10 minute period manly scored 2 tries.....

kid with a future, but let;s not get too excited.

missing_something link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=181680.msg241021#msg241021 date=1252670315]

Yeah right - he makes big plays in little games but never big games - thats what kept him out of SOO even when he was playing @ his best - melts under pressure
[/quote]

We have been in many games that you could consider big, and he has made crucial plays at crucial times to get us in front, or get us home.

Technically, the only thing that has actually kept him out of Origin is a dodgy knee, twice, otherwise he would have at least a couple of games under his belt

C&C, Foran may be an option, but we haven't really ever seen him control a side or any sort of kicking game from him yet. He may well turn into a 7, but I would see him as more of a Marshall type player, where 6 will suit him best with his running game. Haven't seen Hodkinson at all to comment on him

Mal Cochrane link said:
really? Foran tried hard without much impact except for the 10 minute period manly scored 2 tries.....

kid with a future, but let;s not get too excited.

I agree and I haven't seen anything to suggest he has a kicking game, 5/8 yes - 1/2 no

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=missing_something link=topic=181680.msg241025#msg241025 date=1252670515]
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=181680.msg241021#msg241021 date=1252670315]

[/quote]

We have been in many games that you could consider big, and he has made crucial plays at crucial times to get us in front, or get us home.

[/quote]

He's melted more than he's ever stood up, in a lot of those cases had we had a proper goal kicker and our attack been sharper we wouldn't have been in those situations anyway

I get more excited when the ball's in his hands than in the dwarfs.  Hodkinson is the best option.  Anyone who thinks Orford will get us home in a big game is deluded. ( And don't go on about him winning the GF for us.)  Tonight he displayed all the football qualities one doesn't look for in a quality half.  Cronk played all over him.    

Kiwi Eagle link said:
C&C, Foran may be an option, but we haven't really ever seen him control a side or any sort of kicking game from him yet. He may well turn into a 7, but I would see him as more of a Marshall type player, where 6 will suit him best with his running game. Haven't seen Hodkinson at all to comment on him

I'll bet he can kick, just hasn't been given the free rein to have a go yet I presume. Let's face it, his kicking game wouldn't have to be anything special to outdo Orfords. I don't see him as a Marshall type player, he doesn't look like he has the explosive pace or footwork to be like Benji. He can defend well and looks good when he takes on the line. He can pass, and they aren't little lobby floaters that stall the attack either. I reckon he'd make a Thurston type player, a running halfback. I haven't seen Hodgkinson either so no opinion there.

Unfortunatly all of the above is sad but true. Hardly saw us get over the advantage line.

Also whats the point of turning in a tackle if your not going to offload. Run straight run hard or go home.

Not going to give up hope, fat lady hasn't stopped singing just yet. Need to wait till Sunday.

its amazing. we win 70% of the time and it has nothing to do with the captain and half. We lose 30% of the time and it is all about orford. He is far from a god and he is also far from retarded. No club is more expectantant of halves than this club. Protest all you like, but i dare say that blokes like dsm5 would have been critical of tooveys kicking game, and lyons reluctance of going to the line himself. I would love to see the comments on these champions in real time rather than the benefit of hindsight.

DSM5 link said:
I get more excited when the ball's in his hands than in the dwarfs.  Hodkinson is the best option.  Anyone who thinks Orford will get us home in a big game is deluded. ( And don't go on about him winning the GF for us.)  Tonight he displayed all the football qualities one doesn't look for in a quality half.  Cronk played all over him.   

Agree with you for Hodkinson to be given a shot.  He has done well with our reserve grade side to get them to the QLD Cup Grand Final.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8