WTF !!! NRL says it's willing to take a pay hit on its new television rights

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Schedule a big selling point for NRL
ED JACKSON

November 19, 2009 - 8:04PM
AAP
The NRL says it's willing to take a pay hit on its new television rights agreement if it means they can have a fixed calendar of matches.
The NRL's current deal, valued at $500 million over six years, ends following the 2012 campaign.
But under the terms of that deal, the NRL has a rolling schedule which allows broadcasters - the Nine Network and Fox Sports - to pick and choose which matches they want to televise depending on a team's form and appeal.
So if it guaranteed the year's fixtures were locked in before the season started, NRL chief executive David Gallop says the game would accept less money for its next deal.
Gallop says the system should be changed to allow fans and clubs to know exactly where and when they are playing - even though he said it could cost the code up to $50 million on the negotiating table.
"A fixed schedule for us, the advantages for our fans and clubs will hopefully outweigh that equation," he said.
"The whole issue of how we allocate games on that rolling schedule ... is a very complicated exercise.
"We will definitely be going to them and say that's what we want and if they were to come back hypothetically and say `okay, that's $50 million less' then we've got a commercial decision to make.
"I doubt they'll do that. I do think they'll come back and offer us less but I don't think it'll be enough to make us change our mind.
"I think that certainty has become a real imperative for the game."
Gallop, speaking at the NRL's second annual club members forum, also expressed his frustration with the sport's broadcasters, saying they had been guilty of breaking their contractual obligations at times, particularly with televising matches in Melbourne.
"We do agitate about it, on a week-to-week basis because, to be frank, from time-to-time they don't even comply with their contractual obligations," he said.
"You can't fine them, but I'd like to. I think we all share that frustration."
NRL marketing and commercial director Paul Kind said the new TV deal could also include a Sunday afternoon "twilight" fixture as that concept gained popularity with fans and broadcasters.
"When this deal was negotiated Friday night was the big night ... two Friday night matches looked like it was going to be a great outcome for us from an attendance point of view," Kind said.
"And now that Sunday afternoon idea seems to have warmed right up in the past 12 months."

© 2009 AAP
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...1119-iots.html

im no gallop fan
but what he said today has been taken out of context

wat he said was
he would consider small cut in wat gets offered by a broadcaster if they can have a whole season scheduled.

his motivation for that is the fans.

i dont really like the bloke but on this occasion hes been taken out of context

i will write a short summary of the forum and im sure vid will be more thourogh because he tooks notes

but the whole vibe of the day was there will be alot more $$$$$ after the next rights deal

This would be one of the very few occasions where Gallop has stood up and said what I agree with. We have been agitating for a fixed schedule for years and it is exactly what the fans want.

Taking back ownership of the schedule would be a huge plus for so many parties involved in the game and would dramatically decrease costs. Brookvale Oval for instance would have the dates locked in and one of the complaints of Warringah Council of having the Oval unavailable for bookings for 5 days every fortnight would be negated. Clubs could seek cheap airfares a long time in advance and so could fans. Fans wouldn't have to commit to staying in another city for more days than required because they didn't know when the game was on.

The only negative is that Gallop has obviously sought feedback from the tv networks and is softening up all parties for a revenue hit if it goes ahead. That is complete rubbish. Our product rates better than any other code and it doesn't mean that this decision should devalue the potential revenue. In reality high rating games, particularly Sydney team games where there has been long held rivalries, will still be positioned on a Friday or Sunday.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4