Pre-Game Sharks v Manly [Round 21, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

26 30
PointsBet Stadium
23 Jul 2023 04:05 PM

Team Lists

I’m no massive fan of Woods ( although I do tend to throw up alternative arguments when he’s mentioned ) but this isn’t the first time a Manly side has used a relatively mistake free / non X factor player and I’m wondering if the coaching staff haven’t decided that one of those is better than an X factor player who can make a heap of mistakes ( Keppie is that example and is being potentially kept out by Woods ).

A great example , Shane Rodney.

Came to us sort of towards the end of his career after a successful stint at the Panthers. Not flashy , not an X Factor , not an intimidating fierce prop BUT be sure played his part in the team effort.

Most on here see Woods as a liability but it’s clear to me the football staff see him in a different way.

So dunno , are we wrong or as everything thinks on here , they wrong.
Well said, Mark, Woods is a 'Shane Rodney type' player...not flashy but plays his part.
I don't think he's a liability and assume the football staff think similarly.

I'm not a massive fan but I am a fan of Woods because, as you say, he's relatively mistake free, which Keppie is not (why else would Keppie be on the outer?). Woods loves Manly and is fulfilling his dream to play here. Not many players are as passionate as him.

For what he's on, he's earning his coin which some other players are certainly not! I'll probably be crucified but it's just my opinion...

Well said, Mark, Woods is a 'Shane Rodney type' player...not flashy but plays his part.
I don't think he's a liability and assume the football staff think similarly.

I'm not a massive fan but I am a fan of Woods because, as you say, he's relatively mistake free, which Keppie is not (why else would Keppie be on the outer?). Woods loves Manly and is fulfilling his dream to play here. Not many players are as passionate as him.

For what he's on, he's earning his coin which some other players are certainly not! I'll probably be crucified but it's just my opinion...
We’ll both be burnt at the stake but such is life.

Whilst I get frustrated as much as any others on here at what the football staff do at times , they , and NOT US, see what goes on at training , know all the stats and aren’t blinkered with views based on what players have done elsewhere.

It amuses the crap out of me at times , we play Keppie , he makes mistakes , drops the ball and the opposition score BUT because he sometimes breaks the line he’s a world beater in Silvertailers eyes and Woods, who almost never misses a tackle , and is relatively mistake free ( but never breaks the line ) is a dud.

I’m expecting the fires of hell to rain down on me with that view , but honestly , such is life!!

Even though Many on here like me disagree of your value on Woods
You should not feel intimidated because you think other wise feathered friend
and Good on you for posting what you believe
Power to you !
As for the ones that fear and take offense on some ones right to their opinion
This saying sums their character all up
THE GREATEST PRISON PEOPLE LIVE IN
IS THE FEAR OF WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK
1689924301108.png

PLayers like Shane Rodney and Ben Kennedy did come towards the end of their career
But before they came to us they were not playing reserve grade for their two previous clubs like Woods was with the Sharks and the Dragons
Are you sure you didn't just make that up to fit your argument?

Shane Rodney was a reserve grader with Penrith in 2008, playing only 4 NRL games as a fill-in, before joining Manly in 2009.

Woods played first grade for Saints all year in 2022, mostly off the bench. True, he wasn't picked in their first couple of gmes this year - maybe because the Manly deal was already in train?
Anyway his previous 2 seasons at the Sharks: 21 NRL games in 2020 and 24 NRL games in 2021.

The choices we all Make in life determine our success or failure
This applies also to what we choose to post, checking facts is good!!

Shane Rodney was a reserve grader with Penrith in 2008, playing only 4 NRL games as a fill-in, before joining Manly in 2009.

Woods played first grade for Saints all year in 2022, mostly off the bench. True, he wasn't picked in their first couple of gmes this year - maybe because the Manly deal was already in train?
Anyway his previous 2 seasons at the Sharks: 21 NRL games in 2020 and 24 NRL games in 2021.

I remember the discussions about Shane at the time , “ dud , waste of money , why do we need a reserve grader blah blah blah”

It’s the reason I used him as my example.

Facts are good I agree feathered friend
and the fact is Rodney injury was the cause for his limited 2008 NRL game and not his form
facts
Injured in round 23, 2006, Rodney did not return to the NRL playing field until June, 2008. He underwent surgery on his ankle, spine and had two shoulder reconstructions.

I remember the discussions about Shane at the time , “ dud , waste of money , why do we need a reserve grader blah blah blah”

It’s the reason I used him as my example.
You may also remember that Shane Rodney was a revelation at his time with Manly
A much more better performer than Woods is

Actually fairly hopeful that Lodge can offer some good go forward and go reasonably well in general . Keppie may just bounce back with a bit of vigor and determination and bring some good input as well . Ruck defence certainly not helped last week conceding so many 6 agains , hopefully Jake is a bit more refreshed then last outing
.Really can not understand Arron [ Woods] ahead of particularly Bullemor and even Sipley , coaching staff no doubt have their reasons but would be of interest to me why .
Just be so good to see a lot more variation in attack and the outside backs some much better opportunities but need the Shu to mainly lift big time there .
Sharks maybe down on form a bit but still some very formidable players .Good comeback last Brookie against them but certainly can "t afford to give them the jump tomorrow
.Playing a lot for pride now and anything better will be a bonus .
Actually just on Shane Rodney , pretty sure that he was a bit of a gamble being recruited after a terrible run with injuries . One of Manly "s most consistent players and most likely on modest money during his Manly stint then and can "t recall any more serious injuries also
Can "t recall him ever playing at prop though or at the Panthers , 2 nd row and maybe also 13 once at Manly but not sure on that one

Actually fairly hopeful that Lodge can offer some good go forward and go reasonably well in general . Keppie may just bounce back with a bit of vigor and determination and bring some good input as well . Ruck defence certainly not helped last week conceding so many 6 agains , hopefully Jake is a bit more refreshed then last outing
.Really can not understand Arron [ Woods] ahead of particularly Bullemor and even Sipley , coaching staff no doubt have their reasons but would be of interest to me why .
Just be so good to see a lot more variation in attack and the outside backs some much better opportunities but need the Shu to mainly lift big time there .
Sharks maybe down on form a bit but still some very formidable players .Good comeback last Brookie against them but certainly can "t afford to give them the jump tomorrow
.Playing a lot for pride now and anything better will be a bonus .
Actually just on Shane Rodney , pretty sure that he was a bit of a gamble being recruited after a terrible run with injuries . One of Manly "s most consistent players and most likely on modest money during his Manly stint then and can "t recall any more serious injuries also
Can "t recall him ever playing at prop though or at the Panthers , 2 nd row and maybe also 13 once at Manly but not sure on that one
Yes a real gamble , it’s why I used him as my example.

And no superstar , just a toiler.

It’s what I think the coaching staff see in Woods , not going to win you games but also not going to lose you any through silly mistakes.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10