The Clean Out 2024 Post

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Rocky

Bencher
The broom needs to be put through the place. The reality is that the club isn't going to push on with DCE and the Turbos chewing up the salary cap. And we all know there are too many old-school lumbering forwards. We don't control the ruck and the line speed is too slow.

Who stays and who goes?

Keepers

• Koula - has to play fullback going forward with or without Tom in the team.
  • Haumole - still feels like he is being underused and anytime he gets the ball it's poor with three guys hanging off him. He should almost be the premier forward in the game.
  • Saab- Shows improvement each year and creates tries with his pace. The injuries are a worry, but he is class.
  • Paseka - He's turned into a really good prop and hopefully he can keep getting better. Needs to try and go up a gear.
  • Garrick - But as a winger. Great club man and very good goalkicker

Can Stay at the right price

• Jake - but needs to play prop. Make him captain
  • Talau - been a huge bright spot this year
  • Croker - we need to upgrade the hooker position, but this guy can stay at the club as depth
  • Brooks - Still has a few good years in him and he is on a reasonable contract
  • Burbo - the jury is still out but he did look good at center.
  • Waddell - good depth at minimum wage. Not be in the first 17 though
  • Bullemoor - Good depth, fringe first grade.
  • Jake Arthur - depth in the halves
  • Sipley - was really good before the latest injuries

Big Decisions to be made

• DCE - Club legend but we need fresh blood and a new voice at Captain. Prefer he stays at the club and becomes coach at some stage.
  • Tom - Never plays and is not worth the price tag. Would be happy if he stayed on a reduced contract (600k) and played centre.

A firm Goodbye
  • Aloiai
  • Lodge
  • Nathan Brown (been good when he plays but he is pretty much done these days)
  • Condon
  • Lawton

Don't care either way - one of them can stay as depth at minimum contract
  • Jaxson Paulo
  • Ray Vaega

Not sure
  • Humphries
  • GCKT

Chunkytuna

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member
Interesting. I still think the turbos are good clubmen that bring something more than just run metres etc - although Turbo’s stats this year so far have been pretty good even if he’s definitely not played at his best. Definitely agree that a succession plan for DCE, Jurbo and Turbo must be formulated - I would be shocked if that wasn’t already underway.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
The broom needs to be put through the place. The reality is that the club isn't going to push on with DCE and the Turbos chewing up the salary cap. And we all know there are too many old-school lumbering forwards. We don't control the ruck and the line speed is too slow.

Who stays and who goes?

Keepers

• Koula - has to play fullback going forward with or without Tom in the team.
  • Haumole - still feels like he is being underused and anytime he gets the ball it's poor with three guys hanging off him. He should almost be the premier forward in the game.
  • Saab- Shows improvement each year and creates tries with his pace. The injuries are a worry, but he is class.
  • Paseka - He's turned into a really good prop and hopefully he can keep getting better. Needs to try and go up a gear.
  • Garrick - But as a winger. Great club man and very good goalkicker

Can Stay at the right price

• Jake - but needs to play prop. Make him captain
  • Talau - been a huge bright spot this year
  • Croker - we need to upgrade the hooker position, but this guy can stay at the club as depth
  • Brooks - Still has a few good years in him and he is on a reasonable contract
  • Burbo - the jury is still out but he did look good at center.
  • Waddell - good depth at minimum wage. Not be in the first 17 though
  • Bullemoor - Good depth, fringe first grade.
  • Jake Arthur - depth in the halves
  • Sipley - was really good before the latest injuries

Big Decisions to be made

• DCE - Club legend but we need fresh blood and a new voice at Captain. Prefer he stays at the club and becomes coach at some stage.
  • Tom - Never plays and is not worth the price tag. Would be happy if he stayed on a reduced contract (600k) and played centre.

A firm Goodbye
  • Aloiai
  • Lodge
  • Nathan Brown (been good when he plays but he is pretty much done these days)
  • Condon
  • Lawton

Don't care either way - one of them can stay as depth at minimum contract
  • Jaxson Paulo
  • Ray Vaega

Not sure
  • Humphries
  • GCKT
I'll probably get alot of hate for this, but I think jakey needs to start looking at retirement. Leave the game on a high. He is past it. He can tackle but doesn't really offer much else in the NRL. There is so much more needed in an NRL player these days. He has been a great clubman, but I think it could be best for everyone including jakey.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
There is no doubt that our top 30 needs to be cleaned out!

We have 3 players taking up such a chunk of our salary cap and you do need to question are we getting value from this?

I think that the discussion needs to be had about succession plans for DCE, Jake and Tom as the club cannot go on like this.

I agree that moving forward that Koula MUST be our full back. If Tom can play centre for NSW he can for us as well and without question his body is not up to job and keeps failing him.

DCE had a great run and a huge contract and I sincerely hope that after this latest one expires at the end of 2025 that he either retires of plays on reduced money. With the money he earns we could get a quality hooker and half back.

I like the idea of Jake playing at prop and also being our captain moving forward. Jake wears his heart on his sleeve and I see maturity now. At lock he infringes too much and it hurts the team.

We desperately need a functioning hooker, who runs from dummy half and asks questions and can help manage a game. It is our biggest weakness!

Nordburg

First Grader
A fair summary. I'd argue Lodge and Brown have been solid ... otherwise yeh spot on
Not sure Lodge has been solid.Played ok in a couple of games last year and hasn’t come back from the knee surgery with any venom,which is understandable and is out long term again.The game seems to be moving on from the cumbersome front rowers
As for Brown,he’s been good with the energy he’s brought but when you’re on a one year deal,that’s always going to be the case and now he’s picking up injuries.Only one year deals for him.
You’ve listed a few players that have multi year deals and a couple of them would struggle to find another club,meaning Manly either keeps them or they’ll be added to the Schuster list where the club is paying for players at other teams.DCE’s contract isn’t that bad given his status in the game,his form and the fact there’s nothing on the market,especially at his cost.He’s been good this season,just not the last few weeks and I put that down to,what I call,Origin Preservation Mode.Look at roughly Rds 8-11 the last few years and you’ll see a dip in his performances over that time.

Last edited:

double hoops

First Grader
It's a succession plan that's needed. Although DCE and Jake are both currently so poor at game management many of the benefits you get from having their experience in the team we just aren't currently getting.

But hard part for seibs, at the same time he is teaching these old dogs in our team new tricks and how to play something other than all or nothing. It's an aging, slowing, injured list.

We need some young bucks with speed, their energy and fearless ways.

Hopoate is a must in the backs.

Arthur may be.

But there is currently nothing in our forwards cupboard. Diaz if I had to pick one.

Last edited:

Rocky

Bencher
I'll probably get alot of hate for this, but I think jakey needs to start looking at retirement. Leave the game on a high. He is past it. He can tackle but doesn't really offer much else in the NRL. There is so much more needed in an NRL player these days. He has been a great clubman, but I think it could be best for everyone including jakey.
I think he is past being an 80 minute player. And definitely not a lock!

50 minutes as a prop going forward.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
I blame Seibold for his recruitment. He went for experience and the team is too slow. Youth and athleticism is the answer!

Also, we need a hooker. Chan Kum Tong would be in the grand final for sloppiest service in the NRL. Those spiral passes are under 6s and the pausing to release the ball? What’s that all about?!

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Remind me why a player under contract will renegotiate for a smaller deal?

As much as I like the thought in what world does Tom accept a downgrade? We are already paying the Shu and who knows else to not play for us.

As for DCE who would we want as captain these days? Jake is Jake and I not sure him being skipper changes much - we do not seem to have many other leaders who are going to be among the first picked

Andrew..

Bencher
Tipping Member
Let's be honest Turbo and Jake will be playing for us on their current salary until their contracts are up for re-negotiation. So we have to make the best of our current situation and apart from positional changes our only other option is to identify and invest in youth. Losing is always a bitter pill to swallow but it's a little more palatable when you can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

God

Bencher
agree with most of that I'd move Jake on cant play prop if you cant bend the line, there's other tackling machines out that that can go forward, DCE needs to take < 600K and Tom probably <500K on form and how many games he plays and needs to move to center, BenT needs to go and play with Souths would be nice if we could performance manage all three brothers out the door, would happy to see none of them get new contracts going forward.

The '47ers

When Eagles are silent Parrots begin to chatter
We've got absolutely zero to replace the clean out, we'd be paying overs to get players in.
Our next "messiahs" are flops, our pathways are 💩.
We're in for years of underachievement.

Darknstormy

Reserve Grader
1- ownership is the main problem since penn has taken over he has allowed the rot to set in
2- the coaching and fitness staff
3- the players esp- Dce inconsistent and can’t control games let alone crucial ones
- Jake is overpriced slows us down hogs the ball and is not getting any younger
- Tom for the games he plays and considering we haven’t won a premiership with this so called superstar is overpriced…he is the where’s Wally of nrl he is injured every season..out for 7 they say well I say 9 and once again our season is on the line and under pressure

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 6 5 36 15
12 7 5 135 14
12 6 6 77 14
11 6 5 -38 14