2006 5/8's - where would YOU rate Monaghan?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

I guess in that lightit may work, but I feel Orford would be even better with a ball playing 5/8 as well.

However, if monas ball running and kicking is his best asset and cant pass, hooker would suit him best but not if he cant pass.

For mine I just cant see him being there for any other reason than he has to be somewhere

For mine I just cant see him being there for any other reason than he has to be somewhere

And at this stage there are no better options available in the club IMO.

Travis Burns is a much better option if you ask me. Young, hungry and willing to play anywhere with a bucket full of talent

Blunty I see your point re. Monas BUT instead of going on about how frustrated it makes you why not gee I don't know... not read the thread ...you know ignore it!
I am one who is anti Mona's due to a number of very valid points which I won't bother repeating because I know how frustrated it makes you.
With a bit of luck from what I hear he won't be with the club next year and you won't have to worry about threads about him.
This is a forum and with 300 plus posts surely you must realise that strong opinions are what this site is all about.
This is not a personal attack at you as you post some good stuff, buts seriously telling people on a website used the discuss issues with the football club to "move the **** on" is ridiculous when forums are perfect for discussing such issues.
As I said before if you don't like the thread don't participate in it.

Blunty - I appreciate your feedback, and will lay off Monas dude (for a while at least - LoL).

You DID say this though:-

"Early on in the season I believe it was Walker, but once he started getting distracted from footy it was actually Monaghan who lead our winning streak at the back end of the season."

Mate - Walker played fullback, and Jye Mullane played 5/8 for the 1st half of last season. The only time our attack looked like it had direction, was when we had someone classy in the 1/2's in Walker (well - classy at footy anyway hehehehe).

Well, i havn't seen Mon'a play 5/8, so who knows

but based on his halback performances, and based on the fact Orford will be there to take all the pressure off him, i'd have him ahead of Hohia, Gidley (been very average this year), Holdsworth, and whoever the sharks have there (Bird?)

that means i'd have him 11th

Cant say where I would rate him. I honestly havn't taken too much notice of half those blokes.

One thing I can comment on though is that playing him at second reciever will just give him less time to make a decision. It will be disasterous.

He hasn't played 5/8 at all so who knows how he could go and too early to judge for me. Lack of experience has him low initially

After Stephensons performances at centre I thought he was a lost cause but he has been great on the wing for us

Post of the thread.

CC Eagle & Kiwi - he played 5/8 @ Canberra. Just before he was punted from their club entirely.

He played Hooker 4 Canberra's PL team most of the time I'm pretty sure. :?: Was he punted or just off contract?

CC Eagle & Kiwi - he played 5/8 @ Canberra. Just before he was punted from their club entirely.

New post of the thread

Just before he was punted from the club entirely he had a broken jaw and missed 12 weeks didn't he ?

when he was playing 5/8 for the Raiders (before he broke his jaw) was that the year the Raiders won their first 8 games?

I have no idea what round he broke his Jaw either.

when he was playing 5/8 for the Raiders (before he broke his jaw) was that the year the Raiders won their first 8 games?

I have no idea what round he broke his Jaw either.

2003 the raiders won their 1st 7 games

He broke his jaw in the first round of 2003 against the Tigers. Luke O'Donnell did the job - too bad Monaghan didn't bite his tongue off in the process.

Canberra went on their winning spree WITHOUT him. When he came back he was shifted around between 5/8th and hooker without setting the world on fire.

He ended up in PL. And yes, Canberra did punt him.

lol, I thought that would be the case as soon as I posted it. To lazy to check!!!!

There was a BIG blow up in the media, bacause when Monnas was renegotiating his contract, Elliott said he was not 1st grade standard, and is unwanted by their club. The next part of the story may be heresay & innuendo, but here goes anyway with what I have been told:-

Joel bought into the argument & said, lose Michael, lose me. The hard part for the Monaghans was that the two brother contracts were one year apart.

The club thought about it a while, and decided that potentially losing Joel is BETTER than HAVING to retain Michael on the money he was asking.

Therefore, Michael was released. Then there was a lot of conjecture that Joels form dropped way off due to the above (not because he signed with The Roosters).

You'll not his form got a hell of a lot better when he started playing for The Roosters.

Manly had been playing THAT badly, that they would have taken ANY 1/2 back going around - hence Michael Monaghan, and there was apparently an undertaking that Joel would be joining him - hence why we were lead to believe by media that it was a given.

Anyway guys - that's the story I have "heard". It was from a Canberra supporting mate of mine - so may just be sour graps - who knows.

Sounds pretty realistic though in my eyes given Michaels atroucious behaviour THESE contract negotiations.

I'd argue that Joels form dropped off once he started playing with the Roosters. He only scored 9 tries this year, which may be a reflection of Easts poor form, but I just don't recall him having that big an impact this year. I don't know what his stats at Canberra were, but I'm sure he scored more than 9 tries last year, he always seemed a moral for first try scorer.

the start of the year was terrible, but toward the end he started to fire and scored most of those tries in the back end of the season

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6