2013 GRAND FINAL Manly Sea Eagles v Sydney Roosters Game day thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I get the feeling this may be the Classic Grand Final of the decade ie Balmain vs Canberra '89

Both teams so evenly matched.

bones said:
Clint said:
Choc for MOM. Thanks to bones got on Choc at $51. Now into $14. Go get em Choco. :D

Lol I'm glad someone did, because I didn't. I did the same thing in 2011. When Glenn first got suspended I said he will get the Churchill medal and I didn't put anything on it. Hope it comes off for you mate ;)

One of my very few claims to fame was having a single CCM bet in '08 with Kitie and a $21 divie. Still stunned they gave it to a prop but his form leading in was terrific.

bones said:
Clint said:
Choc for MOM. Thanks to bones got on Choc at $51. Now into $14. Go get em Choco. :D

Lol I'm glad someone did, because I didn't. I did the same thing in 2011. When Glenn first got suspended I said he will get the Churchill medal and I didn't put anything on it. Hope it comes off for you mate ;)

Me too. Means a greater chance of us winning if choc gets mom.

ManlyBacker said:
bones said:
Clint said:

One of my very few claims to fame was having a single CCM bet in '08 with Kitie and a $21 divie. Still stunned they gave it to a prop but his form leading in was terrific.

Mine was $20 on Ballin first try @ 34/1
And $30 on Ballin first try into manly 13+ this year in Townsville at 66/1

Stat on the radio today
On 3 occasions the grand finalist have played each other 3 times in a season where 1 team have a 3 and 0 record like the roosters do over us. Every time this has occurred the team with the 3 loses have won the grand final.
The last time this happened was 1997 manly beat the knights 2 during the season and 1 in the finals only to have our hearts broken on GF day

Nice stat Cambo.
I have a feeling this will be a very different game to the one the 2 sides played a couple of weeks ago. I reckon closer to 40 points this time, not 4. I like our chances in a shoot-out.

Richard Fa'aoso out with the neck injury should be the only change in Manly's 2013 Grand Final team.

Brett Stewart

Jorge Taufua
David Williams

Steve Matai
Jamie Lyon

Kieran Foran
Daly Cherry-Evans

Glenn Stewart
Anthony Watmough
Justin Horo

Brent Kite
Brenton Lawrence
Matt Ballin

Jamie Buhrer
?
George Rose
Tom Symonds

How about Jake Trbojevic as the replacement for Richard Fa'aoso? I thought he showed lots of promise in 1st Grade when given the opportunity.

Have to put Gower in there. Aside from his first few games where he had poor ball control he has turned in good performances ever since.

Sydney Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello hoping not to become the first player to lose five premierships
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sydney-roosters-fullback-anthony-minichiello-hoping-not-to-become-the-first-player-to-lose-five-premierships/story-fni3gn3s-1226729536203

ANTHONY Minichiello is staring down the worst Grand Final record in rugby league history - with no player having ever lost five premierships.

Among the most popular players of the modern era, Minichiello is also the first in 105 years to enter a decider carrying four premiership losses, an unwanted record currently shared with Brad Fittler, Craig Fitzgibbon and David Barnhill.

Worse, The Daily Telegraph can also reveal that apart from his own jinxed run, the Roosters captain will be running onto ANZ Stadium with a side whose combined Grand Final success rate is a paltry 14%.

The numbers, surprising considering the array of stars in the Roosters squad, shape as the key concern for the premiership favourites, whose rivals Manly not only boast double the Grand Final experience but a success rate of 74%.

"In over a century of rugby league, no player has lost five Grand Finals,'' Fox Sports Statistician Ian Collis concedes. "So, yes, if the Roosters lose this weekend Anthony Minichiello would be the first.

"And certainly, given the number of representative players in the side, that team figure of 14% is startling. Then they're up against a Manly side who've shown, when they get to this game, they do something about it."

According to Fox Sports Statistics, the current Roosters squad has played in 14 deciders, winning just two. Incredibly, despite boasting a host of superstars, Minichiello and Sonny Bill Williams are the only players with a premiership ring despite a combined 14 attempts across five years and four clubs.

Manly, meanwhile, have 20 wins from 27 appearances, with Anthony Watmough, Brent Kite, the Stewart brothers and Steve Matai all winning two from three. Skipper Jamie Lyon also has a double, but from four attempts.

According to Manly playmaker Kieran Foran, one of 11 players still remaining from their 2011 premiership, the side's Grand Final experience shapes as a "big advantage". (*2008 GF - Wolfie makes 12)

"Two years down the track we've probably got a bit more experience . . . and it's a big advantage,"
he said. "There's no denying we've got plenty of experience and we've got plenty of guys that have been there on this day before.

"But that counts for nothing next week if we don't come out and win the game.

"I know it's going to be a massive test ... we've just got to keep our minds on the job, we've still got 80 minutes to go.''

Roosters five-eighth James Maloney said the key for his side was to retain the same steely focus shown throughout the finals series. ``There's been all sort of stories - we were chokers two weeks from the semis, then we were premiership favourites,'' he said. ``There's been a lot said and we've managed to keep it a week at the time.''

MINI’S MAJORS

2010 - LOST 32-8 v Dragons

2004 - LOST 16-13 v Bulldogs

2003 - LOST 18-6 v Panthers

2002 - WON 30-8 v Warriors

2000 - LOST 14-6 v Broncos

The A-Z of the grand final

September 30, 2013
Michael Chammas
Rugby league reporter

Michael Chammas takes an alphabetical look at rugby league's biggest game of the year.

A is for Andrew Johns.

He has done wonders with Manly halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran this year. He'll no doubt have a few tricks up his sleeve for the big one.

B is for Brett Stewart.

The Manly fullback missed the last two games against the Roosters. Manly scored just two tries in total in both of those games.

C is for Clive Churchill Medal.

Glenn Stewart and Brent Kite won the last two for Manly. Will it be Sonny Bill Williams? Daly Cherry-Evans? Maybe Jamie Lyon.

D is for Defence.

These are the best two defensive teams in the comp. They concede less points, metres and line breaks per game than any other teams.

E is for Experience.

When it comes to big game experience, Manly have it in bucketloads. The majority of the Roosters side is under the age of 26.

F is for Fatigue.

Since the gruelling week-one final, most expected Manly to run out of gas. They've defied the odds despite a hefty injury toll, but at what point will they crack?

G is for Goalkicking.

Jamie Lyon has the worst goal-kicking record in the competition (69.4%). James Maloney is one of the best, having kicked 103 from 119 (86.6%).

H is for Halves.

Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran have overtaken James Maloney and Mitchell Pearce as the form halves of the NRL. The duo that dominates will likely lead their team to victory.

I is for Intensity.

Given how the last game unfolded, the grand final promises to be one of the most gut-wrenching in history. It will be a fiery battle of the forwards.

J is for Jamie Lyon.

The Manly skipper has had one of the best seasons of his career. He'd be an automatic selection for Australia if he was still playing representative football.

K is for Kicking game.

The only two tries the Roosters have conceded in the finals have come off kicks. The only try the Roosters scored against Manly in the first final came from a kick.

L is for Line breaks.

The Roosters need to shut down the Manly wingers. Jorge Taufua (32) and David Williams (25) have made the most line breaks in the competition.

M is for Mistakes.

The last time these two teams met, Manly squandered several chances. They enjoyed eight more sets than the Roosters but made 16 errors.

N is for Next year.

Will this be Sonny Bill Williams' last season in rugby league? Will Luke O'Donnell retire? Is this Anthony Minichiello's last game at fullback for the Roosters?

O is for Officials.

They'd better not make any mistakes - Geoff Toovey will go off the deep end if a refereeing blunder costs his side the grand final.

P is for Penalties.

The Sydney Roosters are the most penalised team in the competition. The last time they played Manly the Roosters lost the penalty count 12-5.

Q is for Questions.

Can Manly ask enough of the Roosters defence? They've scored just three tries in three games against them this year.

R is for Risk.

Will Boyd Cordner play? Cordner has already said he won't be 100 per cent fit but what effect will he have if he plays after a seven-week break?

S is for Sonny Bill.

He is the Roosters' best player and has enjoyed an incredible return to rugby league this season. However, it will count for little if he doesn't deliver on the biggest stage.

T is for Trent Robinson.

What an incredible rookie season. He isn't a complete stranger to grand final week, having been an assistant during the Roosters' 2010 campaign.

U is for Up and in.

The Roosters smothered the Manly attack in week one of the finals with an up-and-in defence. South Sydney opted to slide last week and paid the price.

V is for Violence.

This game has the potential to erupt with hot-heads like Steve Matai and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves in the respective sides. Take away the threat of being banned for the big one, and it could be on.

W is for World Cup.

A number of players are seeking a World Cup berth. Which playmaker will be Cooper Cronk's deputy for Australia?

X is for X-factor.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has the footwork to break the grand final wide open. Between him and Michael Jennings, the Roosters possess plenty of strike power.

Y is for Yesteryear.

The Roosters and Sea Eagles have only played against each other in one grand final.

Manly won the 1972 grand final 19-14.

Z is for Zero.

Manly's inability to penetrate the Roosters' defence in the qualifying final will no doubt play on their minds. Brett Stewart's return could change their fortunes.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/the-az-of-the-grand-final-20130929-2umjj.html#ixzz2gJZNMNmz

JAMIE Lyon kicked 77 goals from 115 attempts at an ordinary success rate of 66.9 per cent during the premiership rounds.

Not good enough to win a premiership and way behind the NRL’s top kickers Adam Reynolds (90 per cent) and James Maloney (87 per cent).

Then along comes Graham Arnold, one of Australia’s finest soccer coaches.

Arnold is the A-League’s premier coach, having steered the Central Coast Mariners to victory in last year’s A-League Grand Final.

He also loves rugby league and watches the games every week.

His advice has made a phenomenal difference. Since the finals started, Lyon has kicked 9/9 attempts at 100 per cent success rate.

Typically, Arnold didn’t want to take any of the credit when I texted him over the weekend for a comment.

“One session two weeks ago,” he said, “Zorba (Peter Peters) called me to help out.

“Just a few tips but he’s always been a good kicker. It’s his good work and his handling of the pressure.

“He deserves all the credit mate.”

Arnold makes a great point about Lyon’s ability to handle finals pressure.

Fox Sports stats reveal that since 2007 Lyon has missed just four shots at goal from 32 attempts in finals footy.

In fact the only times he hasn’t kicked at 100 per cent in a finals match were against the Broncos in the 2011 semi-final (3/5) and the Cowboys in the 2012 qualifying final (3/5).

That leaves him with a total of 28 goals from 32 attempts at an 87.5 per cent success rate in the finals since 2007.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/monday-buzz-nsw-blues-coach-laurie-daley-was-right-about-adam-reynolds/story-fni3fh9n-1226729451009

I don't think I'm going to see the game live.

So is it possible not to post anything in here on gf day?

Thanks in advance!

globaleagle said:

Thanks in advance!

I will be at the game so not posting on here for me :)

globaleagle said:

Thanks in advance!
It's possible GE but unlikely.
Just in case, on GF day I suggest you read the forum with your eyes closed.

oh I think extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely unlikely!!

(Maybe I can freeze the site! lol #angryDan)

I won't open the laptop until I've seen the game and unfortunately wont wear any Manly gear outside as there are too many Aussies around and one will blurt out the result.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7