2016/2017 forward pack

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree regarding Leary.

Started off a little slow, but last few times he's been in the side he has been immense. Tackles well above his weight, energetic, great engine and with a little more size could be a handy weapon going forward.

Also think he is better off starting the game rather than coming off the bench. Seems to me as though he is a player that prefers to play the big minutes rather than in short bursts as an impact. Means he can go about his business without the added pressure of bringing a lift in his short bursts.

Could be an unsung hero in the manly pack for years to come.

Myles and Lussick will give us that extra bit of quality depth in the forwards

Still a lot of footy to be played out this year and chances for players to prove their worth. What happens with the interchange rule is going to be crucial to the make up of the pack next year. Jesse and BJ have become the forgotten men due to long term injury. Both have claims moving forward. I like what Lui brings, and hope he stays. There's nothing wrong with having 2 or 3 80 minute backrowers either, we did it for years with Choc and Gift, so Ferris and Bleary could quite easily fill that role.

If we get Lussick I can't see the point in retaining Mason, and Starling doesn't light my fire - I think Soggy is improving very week so could have him covered by season end. Burgess is another Starling, not much variation to his game. Mateo and T-Red offer much the same, can we have two players of that style ?? I wish Mateo could find that consistency he has always struggled with. Horo has to be on the fringe now, Jesse and Lui have youth on their side and are probably better bets moving forward. What I really hope is that we get with the programme and get a dummy half option on the bench that can offer something in attack and preferably a decent kicking game to take the pressure off Cherry. Hodges needs some more game time IMO

Turbo
Ballin
Myles
Lui
Mateo/T-Red
Ferris

Lussick
Lawrence
Sao
Hodges

Theres good size and mobility from that pack, no lumberers.

Then we definitely keep JSL, Leary, and one of Starling or Burgess for depth. There's Chee Kam and Demetriou as well.

Where does that leave Hasson, Horo, Mason, Baker, Andrews and Vave ?

1. B.Stewart
2. J.Taufua
3. P.Hiku
4. S.Matai
5. C.Gutherson
6. J.Lyon
7. D.Cherry-Evans
8. J.Trbojevic
9. M.Ballin
10. N.Myles
11. F.Mateo
12. B.Lawrence
13. D.Lussick

Bench:
14. L.Burgess
15. W.Mason
16. T.Symonds
17. J.Buhrer

Absolute Beast Team!

Myles and Lussick will give us that extra bit of quality depth in the forwards

Still a lot of footy to be played out this year and chances for players to prove their worth. What happens with the interchange rule is going to be crucial to the make up of the pack next year. Jesse and BJ have become the forgotten men due to long term injury. Both have claims moving forward. I like what Lui brings, and hope he stays. There's nothing wrong with having 2 or 3 80 minute backrowers either, we did it for years with Choc and Gift, so Ferris and Bleary could quite easily fill that role.

If we get Lussick I can't see the point in retaining Mason, and Starling doesn't light my fire - I think Soggy is improving very week so could have him covered by season end. Burgess is another Starling, not much variation to his game. Mateo and T-Red offer much the same, can we have two players of that style ?? I wish Mateo could find that consistency he has always struggled with. Horo has to be on the fringe now, Jesse and Lui have youth on their side and are probably better bets moving forward. What I really hope is that we get with the programme and get a dummy half option on the bench that can offer something in attack and preferably a decent kicking game to take the pressure off Cherry. Hodges needs some more game time IMO

Turbo
Ballin
Myles
Lui
Mateo/T-Red
Ferris

Lussick
Lawrence
Sao
Hodges

Theres good size and mobility from that pack, no lumberers.

Then we definitely keep JSL, Leary, and one of Starling or Burgess for depth. There's Chee Kam and Demetriou as well.

Where does that leave Hasson, Horo, Mason, Baker, Andrews and Vave ?
Great team selection except for Chee Kam as he will be gone next season . Major disappointment , One of those young players that promised so much and delivered so little

8. Lussick
9. Ballin
10. Trbojevic
11. Myles
12. Buhrer
13. Lui

14. Leary
15. Starling
16. Sao
17. Symonds

A few things.

- Ballin will suffice without a replacement on the bench. Especially if Buhrer is in the side. I do rate Hodges though so it would be good to have him waiting in the wings. Ballin has never been the sharpest hooker around dummy half but his distribution has been critical to our success and I have no doubt that he will always remain one of the fittest hookers in the comp.

- I love Lawrence. His name being floated around for QLD selection was totally justified at the time. I do think he will begin to decline though and have omitted him from the pack. Will give him the benefit of the doubt though.

- Horo has really turned things around but I don't have complete faith in him. He seems to be really good mates with a lot of the guys in the team (especially Matai & Taufua) so it's a tough call.

The above side has everyone at just about the right age with the exclusion of Ballin and Myles, who will still be worth their weight in gold. A few hard heads in Lussick, Myles and Sao mixed with valuable workaholics like Trbojevic, Buhrer, Leary, Starling and Symonds.

1. B.Stewart
2. J.Taufua
3. P.Hiku
4. S.Matai
5. C.Gutherson
6. J.Lyon
7. D.Cherry-Evans
8. J.Trbojevic
9. M.Ballin
10. N.Myles
11. F.Mateo
12. B.Lawrence
13. D.Lussick

Bench:
14. L.Burgess
15. W.Mason
16. T.Symonds
17. J.Buhrer

Absolute Beast Team!
So, you'd keep Manly's next superstar, Tom Turbojet, in the Under 20s? Ridiculous. He is our future, just as Snake was when blooded at a similar age.

1. Stewart
2. Tom T
3. Matai
4. Hiku
5. Gutherson
6. Lyon
7. DCE
8. Jake T
9. Ballin
10. Myles
11. Leary
12. Symonds
13. Buhrer

14. Lussick
15. Lawrence
16. Sao
17. Burgess/ Mateo/ Jorge T ( i think he is a forward )

Leary is young too. I like him and think he has plenty of upside. Laid on a great try for Chez a few weeks ago with an awesome offload

1. B.Stewart
2. J.Taufua
3. P.Hiku
4. S.Matai
5. C.Gutherson
6. J.Lyon
7. D.Cherry-Evans
8. J.Trbojevic
9. M.Ballin
10. N.Myles
11. F.Mateo
12. B.Lawrence
13. D.Lussick

Bench:
14. L.Burgess
15. W.Mason
16. T.Symonds
17. J.Buhrer

Absolute Beast Team!
that is a moronic team! why are you switching two front rowers to second row and putting our best second rower (buhrer) on the bench. You've picked 6 front rowers in that team and we're going down to 6 interchanges? real smart team @:mad::banghead:

Leary is young too. I like him and think he has plenty of upside. Laid on a great try for Chez a few weeks ago with an awesome offload

He is not young, he is 24 which is usually when players are starting to peak.

Size wise it will be a case of what you see is what you get.

He is going well

that is a moronic team! why are you switching two front rowers to second row and putting our best second rower (buhrer) on the bench. You've picked 6 front rowers in that team and we're going down to 6 interchanges? real smart team @:mad::banghead:

Instead of writing a page response to that, I'll just write this:

1. Lussick is a backrower, went to scum and failed to make an impact at Prop, plus helped pick up a spoon
2. Lawrence too small, had a big pack around him in 2013. His speed would make him a great second rower.
3. Buhrer could easily be swapped with Mateo, THIS IS MY OPINION.
4. Umm the NRL has said they are looking at the interchange rule, so nothing has changed YET, so you can't pressume the interchange number will be 6.

Ps. This is a forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no need to call my opinion moronic.

Last edited:
So, you'd keep Manly's next superstar, Tom Turbojet, in the Under 20s? Ridiculous. He is our future, just as Snake was when blooded at a similar age.

So you're just going to entirely skip Gutherson are you? If your answer is to move Taufua to the bench or second row, it's not going to happen, what's going to happen once Matai retires, Taufua will go into the centres then T.Trbojevic will go onto the wing then eventually into Fullback once snake retires, if Taufua goes into the second row, we are going to need a new centre and winger. Hiku, T.Turbo, Gutherson and who else???? I say keep Taufua at wing until Matai retires so that in the future the backline will look like this
1. T.Trbojevic
3. P.Hiku
4. J.Taufua
5. C.Gutherson

1. Lussick is a backrower, went to scum and failed to make an impact at Prop, plus helped pick up a spoon
2. Lawrence too small, had a big pack around him in 2013. His speed would make him a great second rower.
4. Umm the NRL has said they are looking at the interchange rule, so nothing has changed YET, so you can't pressume the interchange number will be 6.

Ps. This is a forum, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no need to call my opinion moronic.

Sorry mate, gotta agree with Lurker (not the moronic part)

Lussick has always been a prop and Lawrence whilst quick, cant pass the ball, Now the the backrow you have 2 edge backrowers and 1 middle backrower, so in theory you could have Lawrence or Myles take that position (that Lui is performing well in)

Essentially what you need is someone who can play as a prop in attack but can also tackle everything that moves so they need a good motor and good lateral movement.

I wont bother posting a 2015 starting pack because so much has to still happen between now and then

neither Lawrence or lussick have the edge running and passing ability to play second row IMO. But by all means every coach they've played with is wrong and you are correct :thumbsup:

And I apologise I shouldn't have used the word moronic. Maybe if I just say playing that pack would be lunacy. is that better?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6