2020 Manly Squad

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

TagMonster

Reserve Grader
Hi all,

I have stayed quite on here for since last 2017. The current state of Manly is almost more frustrating than under Barrett, the bright light is that the young talent looks to be a good thing. As many people seem to feel, 2020 could be a building year with Turbo and Walker out for a good while and Parra being the clear golden child of the NRL this year. So with that said, I feel the remainder of the year could be a trial for some new young up and comers.

Josh Schuster - needs a run at 5/8 as he at the very least will give something in attack (and might be able to convert at a higher rate than 60 odd %).

Ben Trbojevic - would be a welcome addition to the bench. Let him come in to spell a forward in a hybrid centre/second row role. Just like Schuster, he is lighting in a bottle which the team has nothing of right now. I suspect he will be the perfect replacement for Thompson next year.

Haumole Olakau'atu - This kid is a monster. Pair him with Marty and AFB plus Paseka coming on of late will be a very very large forward pack next year. Give him a few minutes off the bench and let him and Paseka adjust to the higher impact of first grade.

Luke Metcalf - There seemed to be huge raps on this kid but seems to have been forgotten? I feel we know what Crocker offers and I feel Cust is better suited splitting time at 9 with Levi. I also believe that Walker is better suited to centre so ideally finding a 5/8 would be great

Albert Hopoate - Now this is where I will make a lot of people unhappy. Tom can't stay at fullback. Running 10km a game is having too much impact on his hamstrings. So hear me out when I say this, Hoppa to Fullback, Turbo to centre when he gets back.

So with that said, my team for next week would be:

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brad Parker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Taniela Paseka
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Ben Trbojevic

When AFB is back I'd have:

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brad Parker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

When Walker is back I'd have (assuming Schuster players well)

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

And finally when Tom returns I'd have:

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

Moving to 2021 I'd keep the same as above except with Ben Trbojevic replacing Thompson and possibly dropping Levi for Cust should he perform and opening up a bench utility to someone with spark.

The chances of any of this happening I suspect is basically zero. Maybe Hoppa get a run at fullback until Tom is back and maybe Schuster gets a run at 5/8 to Walker gets back is the best we can hope for.

Hi all,

I have stayed quite on here for since last 2017. The current state of Manly is almost more frustrating than under Barrett, the bright light is that the young talent looks to be a good thing. As many people seem to feel, 2020 could be a building year with Turbo and Walker out for a good while and Parra being the clear golden child of the NRL this year. So with that said, I feel the remainder of the year could be a trial for some new young up and comers.

Josh Schuster - needs a run at 5/8 as he at the very least will give something in attack (and might be able to convert at a higher rate than 60 odd %).

Ben Trbojevic - would be a welcome addition to the bench. Let him come in to spell a forward in a hybrid centre/second row role. Just like Schuster, he is lighting in a bottle which the team has nothing of right now. I suspect he will be the perfect replacement for Thompson next year.

Haumole Olakau'atu - This kid is a monster. Pair him with Marty and AFB plus Paseka coming on of late will be a very very large forward pack next year. Give him a few minutes off the bench and let him and Paseka adjust to the higher impact of first grade.

Luke Metcalf - There seemed to be huge raps on this kid but seems to have been forgotten? I feel we know what Crocker offers and I feel Cust is better suited splitting time at 9 with Levi. I also believe that Walker is better suited to centre so ideally finding a 5/8 would be great

Albert Hopoate - Now this is where I will make a lot of people unhappy. Tom can't stay at fullback. Running 10km a game is having too much impact on his hamstrings. So hear me out when I say this, Hoppa to Fullback, Turbo to centre when he gets back.

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brad Parker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Taniela Paseka
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Ben Trbojevic

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brad Parker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

Moving to 2021 I'd keep the same as above except with Ben Trbojevic replacing Thompson and possibly dropping Levi for Cust should he perform and opening up a bench utility to someone with spark.

The chances of any of this happening I suspect is basically zero. Maybe Hoppa get a run at fullback until Tom is back and maybe Schuster gets a run at 5/8 to Walker gets back is the best we can hope for.
Ben T is simply a kid. Mentally and physically. Not even remotely in the picture. From what I’ve seen nowhere near his brothers in terms of promise but that may change with maturity..The others definitely need a chance over the next few months.

Hi all,

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brad Parker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Taniela Paseka
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Ben Trbojevic

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brad Parker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

Tommy will never been removed from number 1, thats where he shines, on both sides of the field, and up the middle and his last line of defence.

2021 need to decide who is going to replace tommo and need get more dangerous wingers/outside backs. Most of the top teams - Parra, Roosters, Penrith - even the dragons wingers, warriors etc have big strong wingers. The broncos young kid as well.

We are seriously missing some go forward with our middle forwards and back rowers - all up to Marty and AFB. Would love a Tyson Frizell or matterson type back rower and faster, bigger backs and we would be o.k. I think Cust would be fine around a spine of Faniu, DCE and Tom.

I would love Hoppa in the side as he is raw talent and can also be back up for full back.

For me long term hopefully Funa can kick on as he is a little timid at the moment but when he gets moving is a natural runner and can finish, Cust to 5/8, walker to centre with Suli, Hoppa on the other wing. Not sure about second row? Want to see big quac off the bench soon, bring Schuster onto the bench and Sipley has more go than our current bench if he can get back early 2019 form. Paeska at least is showing improvement and for mine would be worth persisting with, has size, a fend and some footwork - just needs to gets some mongrel. Ben Turbo will be a star too. He is a footy player with big ticker. Plus there is young Faniu to come through - an outstanding prop.

the rest I would move on. Jorge, Jetski, Crocker, Elliot, Boyle

Ben T is simply a kid. Mentally and physically. Not even remotely in the picture. From what I’ve seen nowhere near his brothers in terms of promise but that may change with maturity..The others definitely need a chance over the next few months.
Not ready yet but from what i have seen him play is like his brothers in that he is just a good footy player. Big ticker, wants to be involved, puts everything into it. I think he will be good in a couple of years, not big enough yet, needs to grow into his body but if he fills out, will be kind of like Tom and Jake together. Big lanky runner and go at hitting a hole, and sound defender like jake with a big motor

Ben is what 18 years old now? So I would agree he is a kid and likely wont be in the picture until next year. But to say he is not even remotely in the picture I feel might be a bit off. No unheard of for players to get a start off the bench at 18 / 19 years old. But yes, I accept your point, hoping he gets a run is very much wishful thinking. However; from what I have read about him and seen from him in SG Ball, he is every bit as promising as his brothers were at the same stage.

As for the others, I cannot understand why Schuster hasn't got a run yet. Hoppa has his knees which I understand they may be still being careful with though. Really perplexes me when we know what Croker has to off and Cust appears like a solid future 9

Think we are at a cross roads. Yesterday was just UNACCEPTABLE.

Des has 2 choices as I see it. We are playing Parradoesn'tmatta. We either write off yesterdays game and just admit it was a train wreck were players fighting for match time and their contracts and they just tried too hard and just made mistakes, and give them one last chance, or do we take the opportunity to give some gifted young players an opportunity to learn. Yes, they will make mistakes and many will say after the game we should have waited. But experience is what it is, and I would rather them learn from a better team than blood them against a weak team.

I fear Des will continue with what we had yesterday, so be prepared for a big loss guys. St George weren't that great but Parra will be a different league in opponents. I'd rather have the big score but know that the youngsters know what the difference between NRL and NSW Cup. Des also needs to know what ability levels are as we are heading into contract negotiations with a few players.

Hope Ben T develops for sure. But we need to be very careful we don’t simply pay him overs to keep the family happy especially with DCE playing so badly and eating our cap.Ben has shown nowhere near Toms potential but very few have at any club.
We are already probably pay Jake too much for the role he fills ( don’t get me wrong I love the guy as a player but he plays the style of Tolman now for some reason ) so adding Ben to that unless he really shines could be a massive mistake.

Tommy will never been removed from number 1, thats where he shines, on both sides of the field, and up the middle and his last line of defence.

2021 need to decide who is going to replace tommo and need get more dangerous wingers/outside backs. Most of the top teams - Parra, Roosters, Penrith - even the dragons wingers, warriors etc have big strong wingers. The broncos young kid as well.

We are seriously missing some go forward with our middle forwards and back rowers - all up to Marty and AFB. Would love a Tyson Frizell or matterson type back rower and faster, bigger backs and we would be o.k. I think Cust would be fine around a spine of Faniu, DCE and Tom.

I would love Hoppa in the side as he is raw talent and can also be back up for full back.

For me long term hopefully Funa can kick on as he is a little timid at the moment but when he gets moving is a natural runner and can finish, Cust to 5/8, walker to centre with Suli, Hoppa on the other wing. Not sure about second row? Want to see big quac off the bench soon, bring Schuster onto the bench and Sipley has more go than our current bench if he can get back early 2019 form. Paeska at least is showing improvement and for mine would be worth persisting with, has size, a fend and some footwork - just needs to gets some mongrel. Ben Turbo will be a star too. He is a footy player with big ticker. Plus there is young Faniu to come through - an outstanding prop.

the rest I would move on. Jorge, Jetski, Crocker, Elliot, Boyle

I 100% agree that Tom wont be moved and it is his best position. However; with the km he racks up there he seems to be always injured because of his (soft tissue etc). As the saying goes "the best ability is availability." Tom seems to just never be available anymore.

Total left field, but what about Tom in the 6? Thoughts?

I guess Dez doesn't want to throw the young kids in there when the rest of the side isn't aiming up. Puts a lot of pressure on them, especially the way we are playing. They are still just kids, have not even played reserve grade yet.

Hope he develops for sure. But we need to be very careful we don’t simply pay him overs to keep the family happy especially with DCE playing so badly and eating our cap. We are already probably pay Jake too much for the role he fills ( don’t get me wrong I love the guy as a player but he plays like Tolman now for some reason ) so adding Ben to that unless he really shines could be a massive mistake.

Agreed, can't pay him just based on family pedigree. I feel like DCE was great to start when Walker was available. He just is one of those players that needs a solid foil. Having said that, there aren't too many halves that can get by without a solid partner.

Our forwards are easy beats at the moment as soon as AFB and / or Marty are off the field. Without the go forward, Jake can't be that ball playing lock and turns into the plodder up the middle. I think once we get some injuries back we will be solid.

I guess Dez doesn't want to throw the young kids in there when the rest of the side isn't aiming up. Puts a lot of pressure on them, especially the way we are playing. They are still just kids, have not even played reserve grade yet.

I think that's a big thing about the quarantine thats not really discussed right now. No reserve grade means players are coming in have not played at all for weeks if not months.

Agree.

You could see him as ballboy last night & physically he's not there yet.

Ben was ordinary in the 18s origin.The absolute standout in those games was Sam Walker. Hard to believe the Roosters have him in the wings as well. Fainu was actually best on field for NSW. Different positions of course but he’s a better prospect for mine. Has his brothers footy skills but bigger and aggressive.

I'm wondering how the NRL covid bubble works, because I've seen Jake & Ben out in public in the last couple of weeks (Jake at Woollies, Ben at a cafe in Warriewood).

Lunacy going with same team over and over again. Put simply penrith seem to think kids are ready, tony Williams has played for his country at yes lazy but would give us some impact in the line and what I seen of young saddler the same. Morgan Boyle offering nothing as does Croker.

Hi all,

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brad Parker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Taniela Paseka
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Ben Trbojevic

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brad Parker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Moses Suil
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

1. Albert Hopoate
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Josh Schuster
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Danny Levi
10. Martin Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Cade Cust
15. Haumole Olakau'atu
16. Mogan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Ben Trbojevic

Ummm there’s noway Suli deserves to be dropped. He’s been one of our better backs & is improving every week.

Ben was ordinary in the 18s origin.The absolute standout in those games was Sam Walker. Hard to believe the Roosters have him in the wings as well. Fainu was actually best on field for NSW. Different positions of course but he’s a better prospect for mine. Has his brothers footy skills but bigger and aggressive.

I haven't actually followed Fainu at all to be honest. Will need to look him up.

The biggest issue with blooding these kids this year is they've played no football. In a normal year you'd play them in NSW Cup so they can acclimatize to playing bigger, stronger and more experienced opponents. There's the odd kid who can come into NRL and be good to go but I believe 90% need a season in NSW Cup. Thing is we'll get to next year and they still haven't had that experience.

So, as a left field suggestion, do we look at loaning / swapping them to the UK for the rest of the year? Gets them experience at a higher level of football and if we could snag decent hooker in the swap for the remainder of this season, even better.

I realise it won't happen but just thinking outside the square a little.

The biggest issue with blooding these kids this year is they've played no football. In a normal year you'd play them in NSW Cup so they can acclimatize to playing bigger, stronger and more experienced opponents. There's the odd kid who can come into NRL and be good to go but I believe 90% need a season in NSW Cup. Thing is we'll get to next year and they still haven't had that experience.

So, as a left field suggestion, do we look at loaning / swapping them to the UK for the rest of the year? Gets them experience at a higher level of football and if we could snag decent hooker in the swap for the remainder of this season, even better.

I realise it won't happen but just thinking outside the square a little.

Is the UK playing at the moment? Wouldn't be the worst idea.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8