2024 Optimist/Pessimist Thread - How are you feeling?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

2024 Optimist/Pessimist Thread - How are you feeling?

• Optimistic

Votes: 72 88.9%
  • On the fence (get off it!)

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Pessimistic

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
Its hard to disagree. If the team shares the workload around a bit more it might help, but our need to put nearly all of the creation workload on his shoulders is pretty evident on the field and with results when he is out.

manly really needs to use him more as a hole runner, rather than a tackle breaker or the man to open up the defence. In half gaps he is elite, he just has to do so much himself and has that mindset to do so

its up to brooks and dce to do more in the frontline And maybe we will get more game time out of our biggest hope

even last year when he was hobbling, the ball was just handed off to him rather than trying to stretch or confuse the defence first

to be any chance of being a finals team we need to be smarter , just not sure we have those smarts yet

He may injure himself in the shower though
It's why we signed Talau so we'll always have a Tommy available. ;)

Very funny feathered friend lol :)

On the serious side ....
Turbo has just had a bad luck run
The good news is that everything runs its course and so does bad luck
Turbo has as much of a chance as getting injured as every other player
Turbo should not change his ways on the field
Turbo should do what Turbo does best
1708050454001.png

Very funny feathered friend lol :)

On the serious side ....
Turbo has just had a bad luck run
The good news is that everything runs its course and so does bad luck
Turbo has as much of a chance as getting injured as every other player
Turbo should not change his ways on the field
Turbo should do what Turbo does best
View attachment 26000
Many players have had bad runs, turbo is due for some luck. Dedicated , committed people create there own luck .its tommy time, i have a feeling

Many players have had bad runs, turbo is due for some luck. Dedicated , committed people create there own luck .its tommy time, i have a feeling
The Key words to your post is ....... ITS TOMMY TIME !
And its a Terrible time for the opposition
Bring on Latrell and his Rabbit mates
1708051384478.png

Its hard to disagree. If the team shares the workload around a bit more it might help, but our need to put nearly all of the creation workload on his shoulders is pretty evident on the field and with results when he is out.

manly really needs to use him more as a hole runner, rather than a tackle breaker or the man to open up the defence. In half gaps he is elite, he just has to do so much himself and has that mindset to do so

its up to brooks and dce to do more in the frontline And maybe we will get more game time out of our biggest hope

even last year when he was hobbling, the ball was just handed off to him rather than trying to stretch or confuse the defence first

to be any chance of being a finals team we need to be smarter , just not sure we have those smarts yet

Like other teams, we have strategically used Turbo on the last tackle to get over the advantage line, create a fast play the ball, and buy some time for our kick. In the spirit of lessoning his workload, I'd love to see perhaps Garrick, Saab or Paulo take over that role. I think any of those three have the size and speed to do it... and with a little training on the nuances of that role, they should be able to achieve the purpose. I guess the only downside is that it takes an outside back out of the chase, so we would have to be wary in the kick chase?

Is @Woodsie having a BIG sook and left us?. Unless he is sick then what a ****en soft cock.

Come back @Woodsie us numb nuts need your constant encouragement and support and where would the PPC be without you?

Last edited:
Our first 5 games are vital.

Souths
Roosters (4 Pines)
Eels
Dragons
Panthers (4 Pines)

We must win 2 of these, hopefully the first 2.

I think the Souths game will be a hard read too.

Smaller field, the unique travel and experience. Not sure we'll be able to read much into a win or loss.

Love that we are one of the Vegas teams but it does disrupt us
Disruption should be minimal, we've got a 14 day turnaround going into the Roosters game at Brookie. Plenty of time to get over any jetlag or any minor injuries, if any.

I love this thread as an interesting follow.

However, it is inherently flawed as optimistic and pessimistic changes from person to person based on the individual and their baseline of expectation.

For example two fans might see us finishing 7th-9th. One may deem that optimistic the other pessimistic.

One persons naysayer in anothers realistic, and one persons realistic may be anothers merry man.

For me, I consider myself optimstic. I think we can make the 8 and if all things magically align we could make the 4.

The keys words there are 'can' and 'could'.....for all the chances of Brooks slipping in seemlessly, Schu stepping up, Haumole, Tola and Paseka continuing to step forward and Tom staying injury free there is also the chance Tom breaks down, Schu is in and out of firsts, Brooks is a square peg and injuries hit.

But....what is the fun in being glum. So optimistic it is!
Tom plays 16 or more games we make the 8, possibly the 4. It’s that simple imo.

Quietly optimistic for now but will have a stronger opinion after Vegas. We haven't beaten Souffs in an NRL game since the start of 2019 and seem to either get flogged or robbed against them every time. They might come out firing with the way they ended last year + after what we did to their 3rd grade side over the weekend, but they are missing Wighton, Graham & Munro from their backline whilst we will be full strength.

Great chance to make a statement in the first game of the year and show we are a different side to the one that has continually struggled against these better sides in recent years. If we flop in a game like this again I wouldn't feel too confident in any of the run of games after (Roosters, Eels/Dragons away, Panthers, Warriors/GC away, Eels). Win a bunch of these and top four is definitely not out of the question, there isn't a lot separating the teams after Penrith/Broncos and the bottom teams
Penrith, Brisbane, Melbourne and the bottom teams. There is really only 1 place in the top 4 to play for (unless someone thinks 1 of those teams will miss out?)

Penrith, Brisbane, Melbourne and the bottom teams. There is really only 1 place in the top 4 to play for (unless someone thinks 1 of those teams will miss out?)
I don't think those 3 are a lay down misere.

If you are slightly off your game things can change quickly in the NRL.

Broncos for example....and not saying they wont make it, but I can envision a world where the loss of Flegler, Herbie and Capwell effect them. Maybe some of there young young stars like Reece and Ezra get a bit big for their boots. Perhaps their injury prone Reynolds misses a chunk of games, perhaps the way the lost that GF makes them have a little hangover.

A lot of things could happen and the NRL is so tight that they could easily drop a extra game or two and suddenly find themselves 5th, 7th or even out of the 8.

I mean look at 2022 Grand finalists Parra and 2022 top 4 team the Cowboys. Both missed the 8 last year.

Last edited:
I don't think those 3 are a lay down misere.

If you are slightly off your game things can change quickly in the NRL.

Broncos for example....and not saying they wont make it, but I can invision a world where the loss of Flegler, Herbie and Capwell effect them. Maybe some of there young young stars like Reece and Ezra get a bit big for their boots. Perhaps their injury prone Reynolds misses a chink of games, perhaps the way the lost that GF makes them have a little hangover.

A lot of things could happen and the NRL is so tight that they could easily drop a extra game or two and suddenly find themselves 5th, 7th or even out of the 8.

I mean look at 2022 Grand finalists Parra and 2022 top 4 team the Cowboys. Both missed the 8 last year.
The broncs had a saloon run with their draw and injuries last year. I might be wrong but I wonder if last year may be a one off run for them. Can def see them slipping down the ladder. Penrith as well now with their squad further depleting.

The broncs had a saloon run with their draw and injuries last year. I might be wrong but I wonder if last year may be a one off run for them. Can def see them slipping down the ladder. Penrith as well now with their squad further depleting.
Yep. Wide open comp, anything can happen but I like Manly's chances of making a splash.

Yep. Wide open comp, anything can happen but I like Manly's chances of making a splash.
I have a feeling the 8s going to take quite different shape this year. Nothing evidence based just a feeling that a few teams might make a run up the ladder and into the 8 - us being one of them!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8