56 year old former star player homeless and battling cancer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Former Bulldogs, Rabbitohs and Roosters player Sandy Campbell is homeless and living on the street, while fighting a cancer battle.
He was one of rugby league’s pin-up boys of the 1980s, but now former Bulldogs, Rabbitohs and Roosters player Sandy Campbell is battling throat cancer.

Making his fight even tougher is the fact he is homeless, a Daily Telegraph exclusive reveals.
Campbell — nicknamed The Sandman — played 93 first grade games and at the height of his career featured on the front cover of Rugby League Week posing as Michael Jackson. The headline read “BAD – The Dancin’ Bulldog. The remarkable talents of a Bulldogs flyer”.

But the 56-year-old now sleeps at the beach and is often spotted at a St Vincent de Paul homeless shelter in Tweed Heads collecting a hot meal.

Campbell has reportedly struggled after retiring from footy in 1991 and has “lounge hopped” for the last 20 years while working as a security guard and tattoo artist, according to News Corp.

However his life has taken a terrible turn after being diagnosed a month ago. A good friend revealed Campbell has to regularly visit a local hospital for chemotherapy and then leave with a tube that self-administers the treatment.

“He’s got nothing … He just started treatment but has got nowhere to stay, nowhere to go and no help,” Darren Smith told News Corp.

“At the moment, he is sleeping on the beach underneath one of the surf clubs at Coolangatta.

“I don’t even know how to help him. What do I do? I was going to start a Go Fund Me page to try and help him out.

“No one can give him accommodation and he’s got no money. There’s no housing anywhere, he’s got cancer and he’s walking around with chemo treatment being pumped into him while pushing his trolley.

“I have helped him out many times. He slept in my office for many years because he had nowhere to go, but I sold that business and don’t have that office anymore.

“It makes it even harder because he is sick. To have a bed to sleep in would be everything for him. It’s very sad.

“I saw him the other day and thought: ‘What the f*, are you serious?’ Look at him, he’s connected up to this (medical) s* and pushing his trolley — how do you help?”

Former teammate Kurt Landers told Wide World of Sports that a GoFundMe page will be set up for Campbell and Family of League (formerly Men of League) have “promised to do something”.

“It’s been sad – he was fine until a year or so ago when things fell apart,” Landers said.

“I am determined to help him out and so have plenty of other guys who played with and against him.

“I’m going up to the Gold Coast soon to check in on him and we are looking to set up a GoFundMe page to help him.

“Hopefully the fans who he gave a lot of joy to can pitch in.

Any one at any time can go from the Penthouse to the Dog house

Thank our lucky stars we have a roof over our heads
My supervisor played schoolboys footy against him up here in Toowoomba back in the day.
Was a cut above even back then apparently, as you say, it's quite a fall 😔

Where is the men of league here ?

The similar article I read had the men of league (now known as the Family of league) helping him out.

I also think it said they were the ones behind the go fund me page.

Oh..I see a bit in the above article...

Former teammate Kurt Landers told Wide World of Sports that a GoFundMe page will be set up for Campbell and Family of League (formerly Men of League) have “promised to do something”.

So that's all I have for you.

Where is the men of league here ?
And surely his former clubs, the so called family club and the other rich clubs that he played for could spend some of there cash helping him out and find him a place, after he did spill blood on the footy field for them so surely they could help out. If a small council in the Hawkesbury, that isnt flushed with money can take a whole lot of homeless people off the street and put them in dwellings, surely a club that doesnt seem to have any money problems , can reach out to help one of their own

He was a decent winger, and he was basically a male model. What the heck, he must have had some mental illness to end up like this.

My supervisor played schoolboys footy against him up here in Toowoomba back in the day.
Was a cut above even back then apparently, as you say, it's quite a fall 😔

Sometimes our fall is self inflicted by ignorance , lack of self respect and self disciple

Other times we just fall to bad luck which is beyond our self control as cancer does not discriminate how fit or financially secure you are

We need to appreciate every day that we have and all the things that we have and take for granted

And surely his former clubs, the so called family club and the other rich clubs that he played for could spend some of there cash helping him out and find him a place, after he did spill blood on the footy field for them so surely they could help out. If a small council in the Hawkesbury, that isnt flushed with money can take a whole lot of homeless people off the street and put them in dwellings, surely a club that doesnt seem to have any money problems , can reach out to help one of their own
When we talk about family clubs contribution we should also understand that we the fans make a big part of the family club and also a play big role in all contributions

When we talk about our club we talk about every one that represents our club

The Manly fans are the spirit of the club and without a spirt the club has no life

Picture Compliments from Manly Media
See the source image

Last edited:
My youngest daughter hasn't been working long. She donated $2000 of her hard earned money to swags for the homeless because she thought it was the right thing to do. I'm very proud of her.....she was ashamed to see people living on the streets in Australia. Their predicament shames us all.

My youngest daughter hasn't been working long. She donated $2000 of her hard earned money to swags for the homeless because she thought it was the right thing to do. I'm very proud of her.....she was ashamed to see people living on the streets in Australia. Their predicament shames us all.
Your young daughter is a big hearted compassionate soul

She is one of the special ones that give faith and hope to humanity

God bless her .

All our words are fruitless unless our words are transformed into a desire

and we become the change we want to see by making a difference

just like @Captain Moondog lovely daughter

Our greatness really is not what he have but what we give to the world

Former Bulldogs half Jason Alchin has had an emotional reunion with his old Canterbury teammate Sandy Campbell, the now homeless former NRL star.

They met at a coffee shop in Tweed Heads on Saturday afternoon.
These days Alchin coaches the Western Clydesdales, a Bulldogs’ feeder club in Toowoomba. He drove to the Gold Coast on Saturday.

There was a member of the Family of League charity there as well.

They gave Campbell a $500 food voucher and sorted accommodation for a few weeks. More help is on the way.

“This is so sad,” Alchin said, before their meeting. “I haven’t heard from him for years and years. He went off and did his own thing.

“It’s sad that we’re all saying ‘how did this happen.’ It would have been nice to know earlier that he’s been struggling.”

Another former player, Kurt Landers, has set up a GoFundMe page for Sandy.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4