A glowing tribute to our Recruitment team?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I actually think that in any OTHER team, Glen Hall, Phil Moorwood, Mark Bryant, George Rose etc. would actually start in front of Jason King. Des Hasler unfortunately in my opinion is too close to the players, and it dampens his ability to make crucial team decisions.

I agree about his decision making but I would like to know why he is too close to the players, what gave you that opinion?

King will be playing Origin next year.

Are you now the anti-Mata ;)

2005 he wasn't NRL standard. This year he was. But there's no way he's playing SOO in 2007................unless Dessie is coach ;)

I actually think that in any OTHER team, Glen Hall, Phil Moorwood, Mark Bryant, George Rose etc. would actually start in front of Jason King. Des Hasler unfortunately in my opinion is too close to the players, and it dampens his ability to make crucial team decisions.
Ryan, this is unfounded speculation. We have no way of knowing why JK gets selected but the all players are all inconsistent.

If Morwood is better than King (and that is saying something) I am a Muppet.
Rose and Bryant were shown up in the playoffs this season and need to be consistent starters. King at least had a go. Hall is an unknown quantity.

To suggest Des is too close to the playes is bunkum as you (or I) don't really have a clue to the inner dynamics of the team. All I know is that I keep hearing that we are a happy club and that will do me.

[quote author=Ryan]

I agree about his decision making but I would like to know why he is too close to the players, what gave you that opinion?

[/quote]

Why is it Luke Williamson, Jason King, Sam Harris, Scott Donald and other non performers consistently get picked. Do you honestly think Wayne Bennett would be selecting these players week in / week out for HIS side?

Exactly. He's too friendly with the players, and doesn't want to step on anyone's toes.

Do you think Des has the nouse to relegate say Kennedy or Orford to PL if they have a poor performance? Much like Scott Hill @ Melbourne? Much like Dane Carlaw in Brisbane. Much like Mark Riddell, Eric Grothe, Tim Smith & most of all Luke Burt at Parramatta, much like Clinton Toopi at New Zealand.

I again refer you to players like Jye Mullane, Jason King (he made 8 metres or something against The Sharks !!!, and was selected the very next week).

FFS CW. Stop being so one eyed. Get real.

If Des had any balls around team selection, Matt Ballin, and a few other potentially good players may have been given more of a go, when those in 1st grade weren't up to standard.

And I'm NOT budging on this one.

I cannot fathom how Slow Mo Willow gets the last 10-15 minutes of any match. Where's the impact or sense in that. CW, you profess to know a hell of a lot about coaching. Tell me the reassonning behind bringing Willow on with 10 to go?

[quote author=SilentBob]
[quote author=Ryan]

[/quote]

Why is it Luke Williamson, Jason King, Sam Harris, Scott Donald and other non performers consistently get picked. Do you honestly think Wayne Bennett would be selecting these players week in / week out for HIS side?

Exactly. He's too friendly with the players, and doesn't want to step on anyone's toes.

Do you think Des has the nouse to relegate say Kennedy or Orford to PL if they have a poor performance? Much like Scott Hill @ Melbourne? Much like Dane Carlaw in Brisbane. Much like Mark Riddell, Eric Grothe, Tim Smith & most of all Luke Burt at Parramatta, much like Clinton Toopi at New Zealand.

I again refer you to players like Jye Mullane, Jason King (he made 8 metres or something against The Sharks !!!, and was selected the very next week).

If Des had any balls around team selection, Matt Ballin, and a few other potentially good players may have been given more of a go, when those in 1st grade weren't up to standard.

I cannot fathom how Slow Mo Willow gets the last 10-15 minutes of any match. Where's the impact or sense in that. CW, you profess to know a hell of a lot about coaching. Tell me the reassonning behind bringing Willow on with 10 to go?

[/quote]
Ryan, I don't know why Des picks certain players and leaves others in PL. To suggest you know is crap. Probably some of these players are better than the ones in PL.

Take a look at the coaches that drop players every week and see how well they go. Souths played about 40 players in first grade. Manly had around 20 something.

[quote author=Ryan]
[quote author=SilentBob]
[quote author=Ryan]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Ryan, I don't know why Des picks certain players and leaves others in PL. To suggest you know is crap. Probably some of these players are better than the ones in PL.

Take a look at the coaches that drop players every week and see how well they go. Souths played about 40 players in first grade. Manly had around 20 something.
[/quote]

Jeezuz CW !!! I'm not saying I know why Des does something or not..I'm merely voicing an opinion based on what I have seen him do in the past. Tell me where I said I KNOW what Des ios thinking. Again, try and be more balanced in your approach. Analyse the sitaution in front of you from a distance. We all know your a true blue supporter mate. I'm not questionning that.

Again, you always advise me of the ins and outs of coaching skills, and what, what means. I again ask you to advise, based on the experience you say you have in coaching, why Luke Williamson is selected to play the last 10-15 minutes of a game.
I also ask you, again based on your experience, if it is motivational to young players coming up through the ranks, to see a prop make 8 metres in a game, and get continually picked, when other props in the compettion are averaging 150+ metres a game? :?:

Sam Harris & Donald etc got picked as we had no one else better at the time, when we did have better options what happened? They got punted, Des generally picks the best available team imo, to suggest King is worse than Moorwood is plain stupid!!!!

Also these players that we didnt drop you say Bennett would have dropped is fair but we had no one better to step up. Hill got dropped in Melbourne but Bellamy had adequate replacements we did not.

Mullane was eventually dropped as well, I agree he was kept in the side for too long but I assume Des was trying to build a combination up in the halves that year. It failed and he axed him.

Sam Harris & Donald etc got picked as we had no one else better at the time, when we did have better options what happened? They got punted, Des generally picks the best available team imo, to suggest King is worse than Moorwood is plain stupid!!!!

Eeeghh - your just not getting it. I'm saying that if Jason King was in any other team, he would have been dropped due to his form long ago, and players like Moorwood etc would be playing in his stead. In fact - he may not even BE at the club if for inctance it was The Roosters or whoeber for example.

I disagree with the fact that we had no-one else. What's the junior ranks for in that case? If this is a real legitimate club, we should EXPECT Premier League players to be able to make the step up.

Manly isn't a Mickey Mouse club.

I dont think you are getting it Ryan, you dont drop a sh!t player for a even sh!tter player. Which is what would happen in Kings case.

I understand he would have been dropped at most other clubs IF they had a better options. Manly did not have better options. Who in the junior ranks would you bring up? A Flegg player who would be belted and put back 2 years in development? We had no better replacement unfortunately, wish we did though and it will again be our weak spot in 07.

I don't think I have ever seen a prop make less than 10 metres in a game Garts. Granted - he has lifted towards the end. But that is lifted based on his OWN performance.

There's a benchmark for normal props like Kite, then people seem to set a "special" benchmark for Jason, because he's Jason.

Ok.

1. Daniel Heckenberg was playing Premier League while Jason King was in 1st grade - I don't think Heckenberg needed more time in Premier League;
2. Ian Donnelly - who managed to average around 80 odd metres a game played Premier League while King was in 1st grade.

There WERE options, but my posts in this thread aren't about Jason King - unfortunately that's where it ended up - but it's more about Des Haslers aversion for dropping players (like Dunley next year), and not giving young kids a go. The reason for this in my opinion is that he is too friendly with his players.

Other coaches talk specifically on the topic of boss / employee relations..

Not arguing about Kings poor perfomances, they were crap. But the fact is he WAS our best option. If you think Moorwood and Curtis were better then ill give it up. Agree about Hecks, have no idea why he was left in PL after a injury when King come back into 1sts after a injury Donnelly was crap for us and PL is different to NRL, 80 metres in PL isnt an achievement. And I am talking about this season not 2005 but fair points.

As for giving younger players ago I believe you need to do it slowly you dont throw in 3 at once, you need balance. As for dropping Dunley I cant understand that one, he did do some good things but his errors outweighed them imo. But I am a little confused as you seemed to like Dunley this year and you thought he added to the team. So im a little confused on your views now.

I think you have to be friendly with your players to a certain degree Ryan, if you boss was a pr!ck you wouldnt do your best for him would you.

I think King has the size and im sure he would be fit enough. I just wish he could have got something out of BK like Kite did.

Garts - valid comments. My views on Dunley, and much different to most - I believe he is a real asset in our team. I also believe Burns / Orford in the 1/2's 2 years running would be a good prospect as well.

CW:- That's an expected reply from you. I'm STILL waiting on your hypothesis of the questions I posed to you without insults as you have replied with. You have experience coaching the kids. I know that. For that reason, I honestly want to know if you would do something different to Des around Slow Mo Willow for example. I'd also like your opinion on in a paid sport, if someone is achieveing average mean results, should they consider their position sound, just because no-one else is around who "may" be better?

Ryan, you meathead.... we don't have a roster like the other clubs!!

Get over it.... brisbane has a massive junior base that we don't have so don't bother comparing our rosters

Is that right Nutzcraw....then in that case - lets just throw anyone on the park that turns up on the day.
Stop being such a defeatest. Show some courage and demand success. Your attitude, and others in this thread are too 2004. Stop making excuses, and agree that some of our 1st grade players are under par, and lower grade players should have had a shot.

Or do you want Scott Fulton back Nutz? Wake up !

CW:- That's an expected reply from you. I'm STILL waiting on your hypothesis of the questions I posed to you without insults as you have replied with.
Show me where I have insulted you. I made a broad sweeping comment about certain supporters, with a wink but said nothing specifically insulting.

However you are like a dog with a bone, maknig sweeeping generalisations. I would get rid of Dunley, King and Willo if it was up to me but show me the better players. To suggest that they are picked because Des is too close to them is something we don't know - and to say it emphatically suggests to me that you have no idea.

As for the other stuff I may get to it when I have a moment.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2