A new 5/8?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
and from todays Manly Daily

OFF-CONTRACT Cowboys utility Justin Smith last night expressed interest in joining Manly in 2009 as the club continues their search for a five-eighth.

The Cowboys are believed to be tightening their belts following the signing of lucrative Bulldogs centre Willie Tonga.
Smith said he would be keen to discuss terms with the Sea Eagles as he decides his future in the coming weeks.
``I would be interested in joining (Manly),'' Smith told The Manly Daily last night.

``It's up to them.

``They have shown interest, so if the body is fine, I'll continue to play football.

``If not, I'll have to look after my family and consider my options.''

The 30-year-old would be a handy acquisition for Manly, easily capable of playing five-eighth or in the back-row.
Cowboys CEO Peter Parr ruled out releasing Smith mid season.

``No way, not this year,'' Parr said.

``His manager told me Manly have shown interest in him and he would keep me in the loop.

``Over the coming weeks we will make a decision on recruitment and retention.''

Smith said a move to the Sea Eagles would be appealing.

``Manly have got some great players ... Brett Stewart and Matt Orford, their second row is hard-working and I know Kitey (Brent Kite) through my time at St George,'' he said.

The former Dragons and South Sydney player said he was comfortable playing any role for the Sea Eagles.

``I've done that up here for the past four seasons, playing five-eighth, centre and in the back-row, so I don't mind,'' he said.

Manly have used 20 five-eighths since club great Cliff Lyons retired at the end of the 1999 season.

Meanwhile, the Sea Eagles yesterday released former New Zealand Test centre David Vaealiki, who will take up a two-year deal to play rugby in France.

The ex-Eel joined Manly in the off-season after three years with Wigan in the English Super League.

``Injuries in the pre-season and in the early rounds of the premiership haven't helped,'' Vaealiki said yesterday.

Have Your Say

http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/05/02/9953_sports.html

why not give us Travis back then ?

Hmmmm interesting.

He's nothing flash but he can play a bit. I wouldn't sign him for longer than a year or two.

I'm not sure what to make of it all. Surely he would have picked up some skills working with Thurston and Bowen etc. He is rock solid in defence. Not sure if it's who we are after though.

I think the article got the idea about Smith from here, i wouldn't read that much into it at this point.

Is this Des's idea of a 5/8th, Smith, a slow, dimwitted, old has-been.  C'mon Hasler show the coaching skills some say you have and develop one of our own .

Important to know that there is a team of people who select the team and also talk about recruiting. Sure the head coach has a fair say but his assistants, crusher, the ceo etc have a say. Toovs and Moore would also be involved.

The other thing of course is not to believe all you read in the press - or on here!!!

I think its pretty obvious what we are trying to achieve. We are looking at our long term future. Justin Smith isnt brilliant but he would be cheap, he is experienced and could plug the hole for a couple of years. Nothing fancy just a bit of support for Orford. (Which he isn't getting at the moment)

Steve Bell wont be re-signed (he hasn't been the same since Menzies injured him in origin), and Lyon will go to the centres with Matai.
I would say that Des and Noel believe Kieran Foran is about 2 years away from being ready.

I Believe Liam Foran is on the cards and will be signed very soon.
Therefore we are looking to the future, not just a quick fix for a few years.

I think its smart play, we are developing our own.
The Foran brothers playing together is an exciting prospect i think.

very true king, I say he is waiting for our toyota halves, cherry evans and foran plus his brother to come thru, as we have seen, there ain't many 5/8's out there, carney was one and barrett (400 grand for a 31yr old???) we need a stop gap until the juniors come thru,

when u think orford on 500 grand and cannot make a city team behind finch who alot of people don't rate and pearce, the 4 years signing which has 1 more year to run isn't looking too good, carney could have been our franchise player if this was orfords last year, we could have offered even more and carney run the team!!!

Here is the latest from todYS smh

Manly officials said they were not interested in Barrett "at this stage" as the club tries to tie up Newcastle's highly rated five-eighth/back-rower Chris Bailey. The Sea Eagles are also in preliminary discussions with the manager of Cowboys utility Justin Smith.

DSM5 link said:
Is this Des's idea of a 5/8th, Smith, a slow, dimwitted, old has-been.  C'mon Hasler show the coaching skills some say you have and develop one of our own .

Des is good at developing slow, dimwitted old has beens.  Look at Willo and Bryant.

tookey link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=177427.msg183649#msg183649 date=1209717769]

Des is good at developing slow, dimwitted old has beens.  Look at Willo and Bryant.
[/quote]

I agree Tookey. And what is Crushers / Des fantasy with a back rower (Christine Bailey), who can't make Newcastles 1st grade team unless injuries hit, being a 5/8 full time all of a sudden.
Same as Has Been Smith. He'll be 32 in his 1st year with us, and has already said in the paper, "if his body holds up this year". What a freaking joke.
Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Ryan, you made the same comments about the signings of Robertson, Hall and L'Estrange to name a few, how have they turned out for us ???

Cast your mind back 1 year, and Cuthbertson couldn't make a Manly side unless injuries hit as well, so what ? Bailey clearly has some talent the times i have seen him play

Agreed Kiwi Eagle, people are always bagging our purchases (myself included) i couldn't understand why we bought Robbo, Hall, Le Strange etc. but now i see how valuable they are. The coaching staff know what they're doing.

Ryan, as a few people mentioned earlier - why spend 400k on Barret for 3 years and risk missing out on Liam Foran and losing Kieran and Cherry-Evans?

Bailey was on fire when the Knights beat the Roosters - can fire a nice pass longer than anyone in our team, can defend well and i have seen him go over to score with some nice footwork close to the line.
Read over on the Newcastle forums, some of them are desperate to keep him and are willing to sacrifice Dureau or even Mullen (which is a bit crazy).

Good points Kiwi.  But Barrett and Smith are way to old and their best is behind them.  I know little of Bailey so if we get him cheap and he's young and has some talent, then OK with me.  And please don't agree with me again Ryan.           

Is anyone watching Bailey run around for the Knights now? I haven't noticed him much but he seems to have quite a few fans.

Could do without Justin Smith I think.

DSM5 link said:
Good points Kiwi.  But Barrett and Smith are way to old and their best is behind them.  I know little of Bailey so if we get him cheap and he's young and has some talent, then OK with me.  And please don't agree with me again Ryan.           

Smith not fussed about, Barrett i could cop for a year or 2 as i think he would add value

Bailey is about 25-26 i think, and although i haven't seen all his games, the ones i have seen, he has always created opportunities. I think he could add a bit to our side. I beleive he is Phils younger bro, but don't hold that against him

DSM, here is a link to what the Knights fans think of him if you want to read a bit more

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=198534

watched a bit of his game last night, was solid enough to fill the gap.

Shouldn't be too dear either

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Ryan, you made the same comments about the signings of Robertson, Hall and L'Estrange to name a few, how have they turned out for us ???

Cast your mind back 1 year, and Cuthbertson couldn't make a Manly side unless injuries hit as well, so what ? Bailey clearly has some talent the times i have seen him play

Eh? I have always said Hall was great, and have always wanted him in 1st grade. As for Le'Strange - I was copping flack pre-season for suggesting he start in front of Ballin. Also he is frequently next door, so I get 1st hand his passion for being here.

Do you have me mixed up with someone else mate?

Robertson I admit I was concerned about his ability to get across the line when he signed on, as did the media at the time (Manly Daily).

Again - Barrett would be better than Bailey @ 5/8 in my opinion. See below as to why:-

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8