All time Manly line-up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Someone who I think would still do well today was Tom Mooney.

Not especially fast by the standards of the day, but fast enough. Seemingly unstoppable from anywhere within the 25 yard/22 metre zone, especially from about 10m out. Also a good defender and I would always have him in consideration for a best ever Manly side. He did make one of them back in the 1990s.

More recent equivalents are blokes like Craig Hancock and Michael Robertson. Not super flashy like Irvine, but very competent.

I would also mention Ross Windshuttle, who played 1st grade from 1979 - c.1984. Excellent player and also underrated like the others. Like Robertson and Garrick, a very competent replacement fullback. In fact I would rate ‘Sooty’ as the best of those three in that role. He was like a clone of Eadie, when he substituted for the great man.

Here’s a photo of him in action. This was in August, 1980. We sadly lost the game:
1E4AB6C9-A827-4E92-973B-31B04250F4FD.jpeg

1. Dorn
2. Tom Wright
3. Beckett
4. Harper
5. Williame
6. Schuster
7. Field
8. Aloiai
9. Frog
10. Myles
11. Brown
12. Gosiewski
13. Waddell
14. Kimmorley
15. Wooden
16. Goodway
17. Williams (TRex)

Hey, it technically IS an “All-time Manly line-up”….

Hurts putting T Wright in there as I was one that called for his inclusion at the time - but Jebus he was bog average for us…

…and Frog only beat Goddard because he is not a 9…

1. Dorn
2. Tom Wright
3. Beckett
4. Harper
5. Williame
6. Schuster
7. Field
8. Aloiai
9. Frog
10. Myles
11. Brown
12. Gosiewski
13. Waddell
14. Kimmorley
15. Wooden
16. Goodway
17. Williams (TRex)

Hey, it technically IS an “All-time Manly line-up”….

Hurts putting T Wright in there as I was one that called for his inclusion at the time - but Jebus he was bog average for us…

…and Frog only beat Goddard because he is not a 9…
Well yep it is a all time manly line up. Real question is where would this team finish this year?

Well yep it is an all time manly line up. Real question is where would this team finish this year?
Surely they would still beat the tigpies and the dogs so I am saying 15th…

…nahhh, this line-up would put our 1st WS in the cabinet for certain…

Someone who I think would still do well today was Tom Mooney.

Not especially fast by the standards of the day, but fast enough. Seemingly unstoppable from anywhere within the 25 yard/22 metre zone, especially from about 10m out. Also a good defender and I would always have him in consideration for a best ever Manly side. He did make one of them back in the 1990s.

More recent equivalents are blokes like Craig Hancock and Michael Robertson. Not super flashy like Irvine, but very competent.

I would also mention Ross Windshuttle, who played 1st grade from 1979 - c.1984. Excellent player and also underrated like the others. Like Robertson and Garrick, a very competent replacement fullback. In fact I would rate ‘Sooty’ as the best of those three in that role. He was like a clone of Eadie, when he substituted for the great man.

Here’s a photo of him in action. This was in August, 1980. We sadly lost the game:
View attachment 24744
Think that there would be no doubt a finisher like Tom Mooney would be able to cut it in the modern era .
Sooty Windshuttle did play some top footy especially when he did sub for Wombat , certainly a strong runner of the footy and more then a capable goal kicker . Had that Union background but not sure if he repped there , probably at some reasonable level .
Jack Elesgood would not have been out of place in the modern era also , shame that he did not have the opportunity to be a real long termer at Manly and always show his above average ability as a winger

Sooty did play some rep football in rugby when he was with the Manly Noues (their good old name:)).

I think it was at say a city (or emerging talent) equivalent level, not as a state rep.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8