Alternate view on Monaghan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have no problem with Monas trying to get us much as he can. Every year at salary review time I ask for more than I know I am worth :) Then we generally meet somewhere in the middle.

I think some calling him disloyal is very unfair. Especially since we dont know the full situation.

I forgot to add am glad the club has taken its stance to not pay over the odds to keep him. They will do what is best.

I just dont begrudge him for going after top $.

Im not sure about the disloyal part either garts, I havn't heard those comments but Im just trying to explain the position of the club. They have more than 1 player to look after and in these days of the salary cap every players is allocated a meesly 130k each. So they have to be careful when paying some 333, or 233. They have others to think off when negotiating all contracts becuase in the end they all tie in together. They have plans and what they offer may not be because they are stingy but because they need what will be left over.

We still want Lyon in 07. Rumor is we want King, Orford, perhaps others. Watmough will be worth a packet next contract round.

I like Monas, I think he is doing well with the job he has been given. I also think we should retain im at hooker rather than half but if our club is really looking so tightly at money then I think we should all be a little bit positive because this indicated their is quite a few big spends coming up, which will only make 2006 that little bit more enjoyable.

I agree with the clubs stance in not paying too much to keep him. They should not budge on what they believe he is worth or can afford!!! as you said Flipper we have other players to think about also.

It just annoys me when people say he is disloyal and should be stripped of the captaincy. I am sure that would be the best thing for the team!!!! NOT

I also get annoyed with the posters who claim the club is being disloyal to him. FFS no one knows the full story.

Also I was told on ME one day I was an idiot becuase I said the average wage was $130k. haha . I was told it was around $100k, they must have been thinking of Median. At least I hope so!!!!

Yeah, dont listen to the **** they post on their mate, youll end up brain dead.

The salary cap is 3.25 million per season and its figured from the top 25 payed players at the club. 3.25M / 25 = $130 000.

Not that all players are payed that amount, when factoring that some get 400 000 some may be on as little as $40 000. One thing for sure is that the average wage will always be 130k as long as the club has spent to the limit. Otherwise it will decrease.

If a player is leaving the club next season his heart is not in the place.

That's not what you want in a captain. give the captaincy to someone who will bleed for it.

I am with Garts on this one. If a player believes he is worth a certain amount it is okay to ask for it. If the club differs they negotiate. If they can't come to agreement they part when all is fulfilled. Football is a business and that is business. This idea of being prepared to accept less due to loyalty is bunkum!!!!

A teamsman...A person who is loyal to the club at ALL costs is someone deserving of the captaincy. My examples of this are Hidmarsh & Beaver. Although NOT captains, they show a loyalty that goes beyond the monetary bounds of the game. THIS, my friends is why these players will be looked after by their club, when their playing days are well over.
I guarantee that Hindmarsh will be captain when Cayless finishes, and I BET he would have been offerred the WORLD if he came onto the open market this year. Loyalty.
Beaver also would still be captain if he didn't relinquish it. He was offerred a LOT more from Parra some time ago to go there. He didn't. He was captain. Loyalty.
These players are clubsman. Players that deserve the captaincy. Monnas loyalties lie with whoever will line his pockets in the deepest manner.
The players I have used as examples, are players who draw crowds. People pay their money to see Beaver or Hindy - playing with & for their club of choice with passion.

THAT'S CAPTAINCY.

Ryan didnt Beaver go onto the open market and test his worth with offers from Parra? I can only presume this would have pushed his price up at Manly. I am not questioning his loyalty at all but I do remember he took his time in signing, he did not jump straight in and committ to us as you seem to make out he did.

And I very much disagree with the loyality at ALL costs statement you made above. So should he accept $80k if Manly offered that?? (I am sure their offer was much higher, just as an example)

is Monas leaving Mata?
Not at this point - and I'm not advocating he be stripped of the captaincy yet.

However, if we think he's worht $x and Monas can get $y elsewhere so be it.

We should stick to our value and if Monas agrees to go elswhere it is in the club's best interests to find another captain.

cw

i agree they can ask for what they like.in doing so they must deal with the fallout when that asking price is ridiculous as is the case here.if an employee asks the boss to double his salary for doing a reasonable job i dont think he would be that amused and it would have an effect on his future tenure.negotiation is fine but when the envelope is pushed this far the clubs reaction is understandeable.any chance of the eagles raising their bid was quashed with a ridiculous opening salvo and he will be the loser.blind freddie can see they have set a limit of a good hooker's salary.the option now is to take it or leave it.hope he takes it as i think he would be very good in the 9.

My point was that the whole situation should have been handled a lot better. No claims by Banaghan that Manly are cheating, and aren't willing to discuss options. Monnas coming out & saying where his loyalties lie BEFORE all the negative press.
I'd like to add that Beaver is getting substantial concessions in the salary cap for time of service from the NRL. I also remember Beaver saying in the press, his 1st choice & priority above all else is Manly, regardless of asking price, well before he went on the open market. Manly also recommended that Beaver would be a priority signing for them at the time.
Manly have NOT said Monnas is a priority signing, suggesting:-
1. They have a back up plan, and possibly even further contingencies;
2. Monnas Manager is being unrealistic & unproferssional in his accusations towards Manly.
3. Monnas is over rating himself.

I think Banaghan is caught in a time 2-3 years ago, when Manly were desperate to keep hold of anyone they had. That times over. We again have marquee players, and don't require the average players demanding ridiculous amounts of money.
Garts mate - in short, if Monnas took a leaf out of Beavers book, his career options may have already been sorted for him (possibly as Hooker), but now, his inability to commit to a club that offerred him something after Cnaberra told him he wasn't 1st grade standard, has created an acidic atmospher for club / player / fans / manager.
So yep, just to get on with things if nothing else, he should shut the hell up, stop over rating himself, and take whatever Manly have to offer him, because in the end, success will come to him if we continue to strive ahead in todays competition.

cw

i agree they can ask for what they like.in doing so they must deal with the fallout when that asking price is ridiculous as is the case here.if an employee asks the boss to double his salary for doing a reasonable job i dont think he would be that amused and it would have an effect on his future tenure.negotiation is fine but when the envelope is pushed this far the clubs reaction is understandeable.any chance of the eagles raising their bid was quashed with a ridiculous opening salvo and he will be the loser.blind freddie can see they have set a limit of a good hooker's salary.the option now is to take it or leave it.hope he takes it as i think he would be very good in the 9.
Perfectly said.

The Manly Daily said on last Friday that Monas was offered 200k. I have no idea if that is true but that is what they said. I think if they are serious about him being captain then his request for this to be around 250k is not unreasonable. There is no doubt that as a result of his manager's bleatings thay have gone completely cold on him.

Monas said his priority is to stay at Manly.

His Manager is talking all the crap, maybe he should step in and tell Jim to shut the fark up and pi$$ off.

It is a big decision in his life and I think you are being pretty harsh on the bloke considering you dont know all the facts. Monas said he wanted to sign on Monday but the club put negotiations off for a further 2 weeks. How do we know he was not going to accept Manlys initial offer?

Garts - but don't you think Monnas could have said that weks ago, to alleviate any unwanted negative press. Surely he could have said to his mANAGER "mATE, i'M CAPTAIN, i'M SIGNING well before June 30.

Sorry about the capital letters. Accidentaly hit Caps Lock.

why dont people see the obvious here.manly sees monaghan as a hooker and a stopgap half if we get no-one else.hence the much lower offer.i hope no-one seriously thinks that these doubts have just suddenly sprung from nowhere and 2 weeks ago they thought he was a champion.please.it is ridiculous to suggest they would let a player go who they desperately wanted to keep for the future because of a tiff with banaghan.the simple fact is that the very people who have guided this club in the right direction in the last couple of years have made an assessment of a players ability.the fact that the opinions of men like haseler,cleal and fulton do not match those of a few success starved fans is irrelevant.the sooner fans realise the fact that management has made a business decision on the value of a player the sooner we can move on.by disagreeing with this we are casting aspersions on cleal and co in respect of their ability to judge cattle and you can leave me right out of that.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8