An Alternate View on True Supporters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Thanks for your reply Canteen Worker. I'll add that there is little difference between calling an employee of the club incompetent (an opinion - also hard to justify and possibly libellous) and calling a player incompetent (an opinion - also hard to justify and possibly libellous).

But there is a world of difference between:

a) pointing out a player's defensive deficiencies, or high error rate, calling for him to be dropped and replaced by a better player, etc (legitimate, constructive criticism) and

b) labelling a player \"incompetent\", \"a fool\", \"lazy\", etc, etc. (an unconstructive whinge in the form of an unsupported personal attack)

Some of the recent global generalisations in the posts on the ME website (although I see it is no longer called the \"mightyeagles\" website) were offensive and libellous. Reading current postings on this site, the tone seems superior and criticisms generally seem better supported, specific and constructive. And any abuse generally seems to be more light-hearted banter between posters than serious attacks against a person who is not there to defend himself.

If this is the case, then your site somehow is doing a lot better than the official club site at managing negativity and inappropriate postings.
I think we agree on much of this Candy.

Hard to compare AE with Manlyseaeagles.com (as you correctly point out). This site is independent and the official site is owned and operated by the club and therefore has constraints on it that this site doesn't have, including being officially connected with the Manly brand, its sponsors and its reputation. It has to becarefully monitored and it seems as if it is.

I've been banned at ME for far lesser 'transgressions' than those that others get away with on a daily basis

We all have plenty to say to each other on here and that is fine with me. One thing I did notice in the few visits over a long time to ME (MSE) was that certain posters could say anything to other individuals and get away with it, while a lot less innocuous statements were censored. I am sure they are getting a better handle on that. I think the comments from Candy are terrific. Welcome aboard.

id say candy is more than likely candy cane from ME.

Damn you Fluffy. My sly cover is exposed ... or is it?

I don't know anything about the history of this site.

But I emailed club marketing a month or so ago suggesting that they put links to supporters websites (naming OEE) on their site to increase its perceived content (seemed a reasonable idea to me anyway). The response I got was that they couldn't control what was on other websites and so for legal reasons weren't prepared to do this. I got an impression of division between club and supporters then. I wrote back suggesting that next time they reconsider this they might consider a disclaimer to overcome any legal hurdles (no reply received todate).

In this light, I find it ironic that their forum appears to have more unsubstantiated and offensive attacks on players than this one. So much for them maintaining control.

At the risk of creating a first impression of being a whinger, some other major irritations with the ME site.
1. There was effectively no moderator voice on ME so you had to second guess who might be in control (apart from rare posting by Admin/Marketing). Your site clearly identifies who is a moderator/admin/etc
2. The people who objected to perceived offensive/inappropriate postings on ME usually did so with even more offensive responses (great way to treat Manly fans on the official site).
3. You couldn't easily report offensive material on ME so someone could make a judgement on whether they agree. Their complaint process was hidden in the initial registration blurb that no-one reads and involved writing emails. You have buttons here to easily report offensive stuff. Not sure I'll use them but its reassuring that their there.
4. When I asked for clarification of the rules of the game in posting on ME (or any other procedural issue) there was vacuous silence. On your site I got an immediate response virtually without asking the question
5. The ME site repeatedly dropped postings without any explanation, leaving me to second-guess what was considered appropriate/inappropriate. Created the impression of a highly censored site (ironically)
6. There are no threads or documentation identifying what is officially considered appropriate on ME (unlike your Important threads on bagging of officials)
7. Overall the tone of many postings was less than civil on ME

i.e. My initial conclusions are that your site seems far better administered than the official one - well done

Far fewer repeat threads here, and there seems much deeper analysis of issues here than on the ME site. Some might say you are the thinking man's Manly site. My initial impressions are ME three stars, This site five stars.

Candy,

Thank your for the feedback, its good to see someone recognising the small things that are so important that so many miss and that we see as vital to running a professional and top class site.

We are also always open to feeback and suggestions that can help to improve the site further. things liek survivor were born due to user feedback and ideas and these features make the difference in including users as part of the site.

Jye Mullane was attcked a little harsher than that, he did become the topic of an on going joke which bordered on stupidity but that has all changed, we have all grown and moved on. Some haven't!

I was part of it fluffy. It wasn't a snap it was a reality check that the people with these so called problems at some stage really did have some merit to their complaints. Its not all as rosey as we sometimes say. Things are different now though. We are a manly supporter site and a damn good one! Nothing to complain about any more. Just old grudges.

Welcome to the fold Candy. It appears as though another intelligent person has joined the ranks of the recalcitrants.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7