An uneven playing field

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
tookey link said:
Brisbane should definately have a second team before any other area including the central coast.  But they already tried the SQLD crushers who folded with no support from the NRL. 

Tookey, read my initial post Re the Crushers.

Rusty link said:
rather the NRL should be trying to assist other clubs in emulating them. Certainly it is harder here in Sydney but why can't single city teams (GC, NthQLD, Melb, New Castle, Canberra) be building a structure around the same business plan?

A similar business plan would be beneficial, however there is still a vast difference between these single city teams and the Broncos. The difference is, the Broncos are located in a major capital city (where rugby league is the #1 sport). The Storm have to compete with AFL clubs in Melbourne for sponsorship dollars. The rest are all basically "big country towns". Less exposure compared to a major city like Brisbane.

get over it, its been a fact of life for 20 years.

Spot stressing and you might sleep better.

Who is stressing? I'm sleeping fine champ! Its a forum... you discuss and voice your opinion on topics and issues!

Maybe it shouldn't have been a "fact of life for 20 years" or wouldn't have been if the Broncos weren't successful in getting the Crushers tossed. All I can say is thank f*ck for the salary cap otherwise the Broncos would have won a lot more titles.

Fro link said:
get over it, its been a fact of life for 20 years.

Spot stressing and you might sleep better.
The Broncos have done better under the salary cap than they did before there was any salary cap.

They need to bring in a points system, doesn't matter how much money you get then. Points set by NRL. Easy, then wallah, all of a sudden no one cares what the players are earning and we all get a shot.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
there is a duifference bwetrwenn a spelling mistake and a typo.

Nah he got me.

It was a typo, but i haven't taken that excuse in the past :)

I would love the NRL to open the books on the 2006 Bronco's.  The late Ken Talbot was open in saying he paid Wayne Bennet $100k a year on top of what the Bronc's paid him.  I would suspect the "Thoroughbreds" tipped in big money outside of the cap to have that team together.

In the end of it, who cares if they have Inglis/Hodges.  I would have Killer/Snoop Dog over them any day.

I don't see the big fuss. They deserve every concession they can get, after all they have to live with the constant disadvantage of being Queenslanders. Poor inbred simpletons....I'm surprised they can actually find someone who can add up to 4.7 million anyway.

Chip & Chase link said:
I don't see the big fuss. They deserve every concession they can get, after all they have to live with the constant disadvantage of being Queenslanders. Poor inbred simpletons....I'm surprised they can actually find someone who can add up to 4.7 million anyway.

The only inbreds here in Qld are the ones that crawled out places like Penrith and Parramatta for a better life.

A 20 team comp is everything the NRL doesn't need and can't support.

The comp needs to be smaller not bigger.

This is what it should have been years ago when GC were being admitted. It would have created a 12 team comp where you play everyone twice and have weeks off for the origin games.

1. Bris
2. Cows
3. GC Sharks (easy merger at time of new club same colours logo works)
4. Central Coast Knights
5. Canberra
7. Parramatta Panthers (they'd have cried like Wests then got used to it)
8. Western Bulldogs (there's only room for 2 west teams)
9. Sydney Rabbitohs (same as above with red blue green at SFS)
10. Manly
11. St. George Illawarra
12. Warriors

Melb gone. Who would have cared? Nobody. They ended up ruining the NRL anyway with 4 years of cheating.

Radical but this would have worked. Everyone says you can't do these mergers but in history once the protests and crying is over it largely works. ie Wests league, Fitzroy AFL etc

This way there'd only be 5 Syd teams - one inner west, one outer west, one inner city, one shire, one northern syd. Central Coast would have got their team from their own coast area, and the Sharks would have been saved (instead of going bankrupt in next 12 months or so).

Seeing as it's now too late for the 12 team comp we needed we could at least still have a compact 14 team comp:

1. Bris
2. Cows
3. GC
4. Central Coast Knights
5. Canberra
7. Parramatta Panthers
8. Wests Tigers
9. Bulldogs
10. Sydney Rabbitohs
11. Manly
12. St. George Illawarra
13. Warriors
14. Melb

14 teams play each other twice for 26 rds - but still have byes for origin and Sharks gone (inevitable anyway given bankrupt).

cf2 is back link said:

This is what it should have been years ago when GC were being admitted. It would have created a 12 team comp where you play everyone twice and have weeks off for the origin games.

1. Bris
2. Cows
4. Central Coast Knights
5. Canberra
10. Manly
11. St. George Illawarra
12. Warriors

Melb gone. Who would have cared? Nobody. They ended up ruining the NRL anyway with 4 years of cheating.

Radical but this would have worked. Everyone says you can't do these mergers but in history once the protests and crying is over it largely works. ie Wests league, Fitzroy AFL etc

This way there'd only be 5 Syd teams - one inner west, one outer west, one inner city, one shire, one northern syd. Central Coast would have got their team from their own coast area, and the Sharks would have been saved (instead of going bankrupt in next 12 months or so).

Seeing as it's now too late for the 12 team comp we needed we could at least still have a compact 14 team comp:

1. Bris
2. Cows
3. GC
4. Central Coast Knights
5. Canberra
7. Parramatta Panthers
8. Wests Tigers
9. Bulldogs
10. Sydney Rabbitohs
11. Manly
12. St. George Illawarra
13. Warriors
14. Melb

14 teams play each other twice for 26 rds - but still have byes for origin and Sharks gone (inevitable anyway given bankrupt).

Not so sure less teams is a good thing. Less teams and less games means less TV games and less TV money. 16 teams at the moment is a good mix, but it would be beneficial to have another Brisbane team at the expense of a Sydney team.

The NRL is not really in that bad of a position. We get decent money and after the new TV deal we will have a whole lot more and can distribute to the teams hopefully to match the salary cap. Plus our TV audience is higher then the AFL and we have the best product of any code in the Origin games.

The most important thing at the moment is to implement the Independent Commission, then other things flow from there.

CLIT COMMANDER link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=184614.msg284048#msg284048 date=1281610459]

The only inbreds here in Qld are the ones that crawled out places like Penrith and Parramatta for a better life.
[/quote]

Raising the average IQ of both States at the same time.

cf2 is back link said:

1. Bris
2. Cows
4. Central Coast Knights
5. Canberra
10. Manly
11. St. George Illawarra
12. Warriors

1. Bris
2. Cows
3. GC
4. Central Coast Knights
5. Canberra
7. Parramatta Panthers
8. Wests Tigers
9. Bulldogs
10. Sydney Rabbitohs
11. Manly
12. St. George Illawarra
13. Warriors
14. Melb

The theory is ok, but it would never work.

Sydney is the powerbase that Rugby League is built on, your suggestion kills a massive part of that, a lot of fans, I would suggest the majority, would stop supporting league altogether

Keep the tradition in the game, no teams need to be killed off for the sake of it

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4