• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
just out of interest who would you guys take over monas in this group of halfbacks.
johns
seymor
head
finch
gower
orford
sherwin
jones
prince
thurston
withers

johns
head
finch
gower
orford
sherwin
prince

and Ill throw in B Marshal, D Lockyer, B Anasta. All would make better halves

Then, Make BK captain. Trainnig Watmough. He has the guts.

Dont get me wrong though vegas, I really like monas. He does a good job and is a 'very' solid player. But like you guys say, if we have the money to buy the best half backs the game has to offer, then why the hell not? While saying we should go for the best half we can buy, keep him in the club is 5/8 or hooker. It would in no way be a step back to keep him somewhere around the ruck area.

if we are to check back thru the posts i agree put him at hooker but why people dont want the best players is beyond me,again it comes down to being competitive or winning the comp.i am not bagging the guy he has done the job asked of him i just dont think he is a superstar like the rest of the punters on this board.

Vegas - Manly fans are a loyal tribe and often we get so attached to the incumbent that we lose perspective. Mona's gives 100%, has had some very good games (Sharks, Melbourne) and has done well since taking on the captaincy.

However if the Manly loyalty was the benchmark we would still have Jason Ferris, Grant Woden, Gary Winters, Wade Forrester, Andrew Frew and the likes playing in first grade and we would be challening the Knights for bottom place.

We need to take off the Maroon and White Glasses from time to time.

Fair enough. I think a lot of blokes get hooked up on who has done what for the club and its kind of hard to see why monas couldn't keep a contract right now. Considering he is by all means not the player most would pick to scrap first.

Im sure deep down everyone knows that it would be great to have orford or someone of his stature as our halfback, but on the same token it will be going through everyones minds that he has done a good job, based on where we are positioned on the comp after 8 games. Need they be reminded that there are another 16 blokes in the side but some just become emotionaly attached to certain players and that can't be helped. Like when toovey retired. That was just **** house.

But a half of the likes of Orford would take our forward pack to a level I doubt I have ever seen in the club. I dare say very close to that of 96.

I don't think even the most fervant Eagle Rocker would have wanted to keep Forrerter,, Squasher and Frew. :shock:

just out of interest who would you guys take over monas in this group of halfbacks.
johns
seymor
head
finch
gower
orford
sherwin
jones
prince
thurston
withers

johns[/b]
head
finch
gower
orford
sherwin
prince

and Ill throw in B Marshal , D Lockyer, B Anasta . All would make better halves

Then, Make BK captain. Trainnig Watmough. He has the guts. [/quote]

Flipper what juice are you on! :shock: Had some early morning starters champ :D

Johns = same starting half Since he is on the sideline) or worse with 500K less to spend = no centres. He will only play half a dozen games a year, yes he might get us the win in the final but without 1/6th of the cap we wont make the finals.

Head = very similar to monas with less leadership - on par

Finch - no fitler = look how good he really is.

Sherwin - on par so waste of time/money

Withers - on par

Thurston - behind in leadership

Jones - past it.

So yeah vegas id say he is about 5th along with some others on that list.

Why you would think otherwise i have seen no proof.

*Edit - to keep the spelling police happy
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu May 12 2005, 12:11PM ]</span>

[quote author= same starting half Since he is on the sideline) or worse with 500K less to spend = no centres. He will only play half a dozen games a year, yes he might get us the win in the final but without 1/6th of the cap we wont make the finals.

Head = very similar to monas with less leadership - on par

Finch - no fitler = look how good he really is.

Sherwin - on par so waste of time/money

Withers - on par

Thurston - behind in leadership

Jones - past it.

So yeah vegas id say he is about 5th along with some others on that list.

Why you would think otherwise i have seen no proof.

*Edit - to keep the spelling police happy
[/quote]
i have given up on this fluffet , its a pointless argument with you,we will keep monaghan then and be competitive nothing more.if your happy with that lets move on.but remember you may have to fly to england to watch your top 5 halfback play soon.

Someone posted a classic on ME last night that they had heard from a mate,claiming that the new Super 12 side are interested in Stephenson. I have seen nothing to suggest they would even look at him

thats as good as it gets, its probably along with the six english clubs fighting for him as well, does he have the same manager as Monaghs ????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fluffy,I noticed you say Jones is past it.

I think you will find he is right up there in the Dally M voting this year,and has been playing quite well.

yeah - but im talking to replace monahan for next year.

He is going ok this year - i wouldnt say better, about par, we are top and they are not after all

placing all opinions on his ability aside,an argument that really cant be won,the real question is this.

why is this actually happening?

banaghans little holiday is ****.faxes and emails do exist.i have been howled down for daring to suggest management might not be quite as wrapped in monaghan as some of my fellow posters.we have not had a first grade halfback for years,we have one now and yet we are not falling all over ourselves to sign him.without talking about his pros and cons which we have more than covered the answer to the above question is important.

so given these facts

-we have reasonably good money to spend
-many seem to contend monas is our future for the rest of the decade
-we need a centre and are definitely chasing one.this will cost money and should mean monas will benefit from this from a simple cash point of view as orford and co would be far more expensive.

why are we not jumping at the chance to wrap our man up for life?i have my opinion on this.what do you lads think(without going into the old he'sgood/not so good argument).
this is not meant to be an argumentative post.simply interested in what the various opinions are.

A few possibilities:

1. We think we're a good chance at another half back with better credentials.
2. Monaghan has been caught in a compromising position with someone's partner.
3. Burns or some other junior looks to havbe the goods.
4. Witt shows promise as a half back and we are looking at a 5/8th.

On the issue of Anasta, the gogs seem confident of keeping him should he stay with League. Piggins reckons he will encourage him to go to Union.

It may also be that Monas or his Manager his asking a lot more that what manly are prepared to pay. True we are after a top line centre for 2006 and it appears Lyon will be on his way in 2007 therefore there is only so much money to spend under the cap and the issue may not be 2006 but 2007.

If there is an alternative half coming through they may consider better value than what Monas can offer at his asking price they may take a risk and go with him ie Burns.

I reckon the club want Moans to stay and he wants to stay as well but the price is the key issue. I hope he isn't being greedy because his is getting paid "overs" for the last 2 years when we got him out of Raiders P/L side.

We have an elite half.

Lol, lets just make stuff up for the sake of an argument.

He was 22 when he made first grade fulltime, he suffered a broken jaw and then came over to Manly. He was hand picked by our staff to build a team around.

Last year he was injured for about 10 weeks, he started off slowly (his first month or so as a halfback in the NRL, it's not something you can aclimatise to easily,) and when we strung 3 wins on the trot, he got injured. Coincidently (I guess it has to be for your argument to work,) when we got Monas back from injury, we ended the season in great form.

He also polled in the top 10 of the Dally M while missing almost have the season.

How many halfbacks make City vs Country in their 2nd year of first grade?

Which team hasn't Monas stood up against? That's what I want to know. We played a red hot Melbourne team, he outplayed Orford. We had the unbeaten Raiders over and he played out of his skin without any preperation that week.

I know this site is "alternate eagles," but why the hell does every single thing that is accepted by majority of Manly fans have to be criticised and disagreed by the 'alternative' just for the sake of staying alternative?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6