Assistant Coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bones said:
I say bring in Anthony Griffin. He is mates with DCE's old man.
I'm not sold on Andrew Johns, and if what I hear is correct, neither is Kieran Foran.
One of the big success stories of Griffin's at the broncos was the rise of Ben Hunt. With that in mind, Griffin may be good for our halves as well.

What is it about Joey that you are not sold on?

I thought Foran and Joey and were tight.

Ramrod said:
Gib the Pom said:
Ramrod said:
Personally, I don't think we need Nathan Brown.
I think Brown will only go to another club for a first grade job and will try to entice our players to go across just like that dipstick Arthur.

There have been so many ex-Manly players that we can draw upon, who loves our club and will not stray.

Save the cash and say no to Brownie!

I'm a St.Helens fan born and bred in the ESL, and obviously we've had Brownie for two years and I have to say that the only thing he brought that was good to us was that he recruited well. Very well. Now if what youre saying might happen happens leaving and trying to poach that is not a great skill for him to have from where we stand.

As a coach he didn't bring us outstanding attack or defence to be honest, and he always seemed lathargic which rubbed off on the players in many games where we got beat comfortably.

He did bring us the SL Premiership without any halfbacks though, for which we are all grateful, but rather than it being genius as some people have suggested, it was more down to him putting in an extremely simple game plan and the players giving a lot of heart in executing it.

Honestly agree with what you say, don't think it would be a good move for us to have him on board so he could eye another head coaching role especially when he doesn't bring too much to the table IMO.

Thank you for a very insightful comment.

A pleasure my friend

Snake said:
bones said:
I'm not sold on Andrew Johns, and if what I hear is correct, neither is Kieran Foran.
One of the big success stories of Griffin's at the broncos was the rise of Ben Hunt. With that in mind, Griffin may be good for our halves as well.

I hope kieran isn't really as grumpy as all this, otherwise we'll have to call him biscuits, after cranky frank, our most famous cranky legend.

Ok, so let me get this right. Nathan Brown lifted Huddersfield from duds to contenders, then coached St Helens to a premiership and he is a dud. On the other hand Griffin with unlimited resources and all of Qld to draw juniors from left Brisbane in tatters after failing to even make the Top 8, but he is brilliant.

I really don't know why I didn't see that straight up.

Ralphie said:
Ok, so let me get this right. Nathan Brown lifted Huddersfield from duds to contenders, then coached St Helens to a premiership and he is a dud. On the other hand Griffin with unlimited resources and all of Qld to draw juniors from left Brisbane in tatters after failing to even make the Top 8, but he is brilliant.

I really don't know why I didn't see that straight up.

With respect, that isn't entirely accurate re Brown. He did coach Huddersfield to the next level, but as I mentioned earlier his ability to recruit quality players in the positions the team needed was an extremely large part of that. He brought in the likes of Luke O'Donnell and David Fa'alogo and Danny Brough (a man of steel winner), and whilst that might be somewhat underwhelming for NRL fans, in the context of Super League they were very good additions. He coached them to 5/4th in the league over the seasons he was there. Whilst that was no easy job and he does deserve credit for that, for us Super League fans it became somewhat of a cliche that his Huddersfield side would start off as the best team in the league and be leading the comp for the first 15 rounds, but then drop off dramatically in the second half of the season and burn out and crash out come the finals. The immediate season after when he left Hudds to come to St.Helens, his assistant coach Paul Anderson walked the minor premiership as head coach with arguably an overall weaker team, despite the fact Anderson had only two years coaching experience as an assistant. In fact, the first game of that season was St.Helens v Huddersfield at St.Helens, and that Huddersfield team won 44-4. So the potential was there and he wasn't the man to unlock it, but the guy with a lot less experience did?

He coached us to 5th in that year as well. However the year just passed, Brown managed to recruit extremely well again in getting Walsh, Masoe and a host of other key players which we had been dying for for around 5 years. Once these players came we went unbeaten for the first 9 games, and then went on a three game losing streak very typical of a Brown side. Throughout the season we actually trundled along winning unconvincingly and every now and then getting hammered by 30/40 points to which Browns reaction was a shrug of the shoulders, which was extremely frustrating, in fact at one point the chairman came out and had to bollock the players because Brown just didn't seem to give them the kick up the arse they needed. Come the play offs we had lost 3/4 of our playmakers and Brown implemented a forwards based beat teams up approach, which we did well and the players showed more heart and desire which is what I believe actually won us the Premiership in the end. He does deserve some credit and this might sound like I'm being harsh, but it's my honest opinon, and I think when you are considering him for a position at a club of Manly's stature in the NRL (head and shoulders above the ESL) then you have to be honest, and I don't believe he brought that much to the table, especially when he may eye a head coaches job and leave us looking for another assistant next year and potentially poach our players.

Brown is useless. He had one of the greatest St George teams ever assembled and he did nothing with them for years. Bennett came in and won a premiership within 2 years. Brown is lazy too, He took his hands off Ridge in a tackle in the 96 GF and 2 plays later Kosef scored and Coyne sooked. Oh it was a glorious day.

Got it,

Brown = Crap
Griffin = Great

No further explanation required. I must remember to put aside my bias in the future.

So storm are weighing up between griffin n brown as assistant. As long as toov's is safe I am warming to the idea of a new assistant. Need to keep it fresh if we are having the same old players in out side each year.

Shoe1 said:
Snake said:
bones said:

I hope kieran isn't really as grumpy as all this, otherwise we'll have to call him biscuits, after cranky frank, our most famous cranky legend.

Tooves (and Des before him) pretty cranky too.
Pro Coaching's the toughest gig.

And Griffin, decent bloke and good coach, but he's a head coach & that's not a recipe for success imo.

You must have 1 strong man as head coach, who takes sole responsibility for the team (Tooves).

Johns and Penna going ok - not sure who else to suggest as an assistant (not Brown).

cheers & push it up Manly.

Bandit said:
Shoe1 said:
Snake said:
bones said:

And Griffin, decent bloke and good coach, but he's a head coach & that's not a recipe for success imo.

You must have 1 strong man as head coach, who takes sole responsibility for the team (Tooves).

Johns and Penna going ok - not sure who else to suggest as an assistant (not Brown).

cheers & push it up Manly.

Definitely not Brown because Brown = Bad and Griffin = Good.

That's because Brown = Won ESL Premiership (ala Michael Maguire so won't translate to NRL) and Griffin = Won..........Oh wait........

Woops, my bad.......I'll try to get that worked out for next time.

Bandit said:

Tooves - cranky?

Now I've heard everything...

858365-geoff-toovey.jpg

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4