AUSTRALIA DAY, Why we celebrate. The Truth

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

QLDSeaeagle

Reserve Grader
Captain Cook arrived in Botany Bay on 29th April 1770 today is NOT the anniversary of European arrival. Today is actually a celebration of the 26th of January 1949, the Australian nationality came into existence when the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was enacted. That was the day we were first called Australians and the Australian Passport was first issued. The first fleet arrived on 18th January 1788. Australia Day is not Shame Day or Invasion Day.

Captain Cook arrived in Botany Bay on 29th April 1770 today is NOT the anniversary of European arrival. Today is actually a celebration of the 26th of January 1949, the Australian nationality came into existence when the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 was enacted. That was the day we were first called Australians and the Australian Passport was first issued. The first fleet arrived on 18th January 1788. Australia Day is not Shame Day or Invasion Day.
You’re right, that’s not when Captain Cook arrived. But maybe Google when the First Fleet arrived…

In 1606 Dutch explorer Willem Janszoon landed on the western side of Cape York Peninsula and charted about 300 km of coastline. So our history could have been different. Maybe they wouldn't have wiped out the indigenous population like the Anglos did. Who knows?

In 1606 Dutch explorer Willem Janszoon landed on the western side of Cape York Peninsula and charted about 300 km of coastline. So our history could have been different. Maybe they wouldn't have wiped out the indigenous population like the Anglos did. Who knows?
Aren't Dutch people classified as Anglo Saxon as well.

Anglo Saxons ???
We are one
But we are many
And from all the lands on earth we come
We'll share a dream
And sing with one voice
I am, you are, we are Australian
1706233789175.png

How about MAGA ...Make Aust Great Again Bozo. Now where have I heard something like this before.
MAGA is nothing new here feathered friend

Since our creation Great passionate Leaders of Men always strived to be Greater and Make things Greater

First Fleet... first boat people. Should have been sent to Christmas Island for processing. She'll be right mate. happy stralia day.

True, who knows. But you could use South Africa as a guide to your question.

You’re right, that’s not when Captain Cook arrived. But maybe Google when the First Fleet arrived…
Yeah, thanks anyway Jimmy don't need Google, decision to have the Act rattified on 26th January was made by Labor Prime Minister Ben Chifley, who relied heavily on what day would be appropriate, with the guidance ( via Buck House) of Governor General Sir William McKell ex-Labor Premier of NSW. So a pair of Labor pollies happily licked the British boot and started this crap (We didn't hear Albo take responsibilty for that eh eh). I will celebrate Australia Day on any day it is decided is more appropriate, But I will NOT take responsibility or be brow beaten for the actions of the British Army 235 years ago. The Nationality and Citizens Act made all of us Australians, Aboriginal,European, Asian, Pacific Islander, Slavic.

Anglo from the people known as Angles were a Germanic tribe who's language Englisc gave rise to the name England they invaded Britain in the 5th century, the saxons also Germanic invaded in the 8th century, by the 9th century they had stopped killing each other, had combined to Anglo-Saxons, and were killing Charlemagne's Franks(the french)

Anglo from the people known as Angles were a Germanic tribe who's language Englisc gave rise to the name England they invaded Britain in the 5th century, the saxons also Germanic invaded in the 8th century, by the 9th century they had stopped killing each other, had combined to Anglo-Saxons, and were killing Charlemagne's Franks(the french)
So you agree that the Dutch are Anglo Saxons too. Since the Dutch are the closest thing to the Germans.

So you agree that the Dutch are Anglo Saxons too. Since the Dutch are the closest thing to the Germans.
Sort of. The original Dutch were the Frisli tribe, Cananefrates tribe and the Batavian Tribe. Which were germanic nomads, they died out during the 5th century (possibly at the hands of the Romans)and their lands were occupied by Angles, Saxons, and Franks so a sort of Germanic/French/Frisli mix. Certainly the German and Dutch languages share many similarities.

If the indigenous population were wiped out by 'Anglos' (I assume you mean people of Ango-Saxon origin), then who are these 3.2% percentage of Australia's people (Australia: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population summary) calling themselves Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders?

They must be important - more important than any other ethnic group in Australia; they make up 3.2% of the population, yet 6.1% of total government expenditure is spent on them (FactCheck Q&A: is $30 billion spent every year on 500,000 Indigenous people in Australia? ).

If money = 'care' at a government level, then our governments 'care' about these apparently wiped-out people almost twice as much as anyone else. If money does do/show this. At least it shows a lot of attention. For people who were wiped out.

I don't know if the Dutch would have cared this much; one would have to look at their history in their former colonies. (Dutch colonial empire - Wikipedia). Maybe they would - maybe not. Who knows, indeed.

By the end of the 8th century the Anglo-Saxons had a bigger problem than the Franks, too: Viking Age - Wikipedia

I'd love for someone to tell me of a place on the planet, excluding the Arctic / Antarctica, that hasn't been subject to 'invasion' , rape /pillage/mass killings, etc.

Everybody on earth could point to some time in past when their ancestors were subject to all of the above.

I get it - recent history (or what we tend to think of as 'recent' history) gives an 'immediacy' or weight to the topic. "My (relatively recent) ancestral traumas are bigger than yours". And - there is a degree of subjectivity in all of it, too.

I'm not downplaying anyone's individual story - the thing is, we've all got one.

Just wondering, though - it's all a 'walls versus bridges' thing. Building one or the other. And if a bridge is built - you can't be a 'victim' and sit on one side - walk to the middle of it and shake hands.

Anyway - this article says it way better than I can: https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...e/news-story/9838de7af6459b7a157c9a808b941ac6

I'd love for someone to tell me of a place on the planet, excluding the Arctic / Antarctica, that hasn't been subject to 'invasion' , rape /pillage/mass killings, etc.
Could not agree more with this sentiment, the world's populations are an ancient melting pot of different people, and as I have said many times to many people, I REFUSE to be "sorry" or apologise for the actions of a bunch of British colonialists 235 years ago. In 1942 my Aunt and her friend were sitting at home when a 1000kg bomb came through the ceiling and blew them to smithereens. I don't demand an apology from every German I meet, that would be because I'm not insane, I understood my Grandparents sadness but I don't take it onboard.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8