Barrett and Fulton

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm wondering why Mateo wasn't given more of a chance to be a roving forward. He was still a good player and could play 5/8. In saying that, though, I am not well informed enough to comment on whether his form in Reggies was worthy of being selected.

Mateo played 3 games in the top grade this year, but mostly was persona non-grata as far as the NRL side was concerned. It was mostly punishment for not leaving when 'tapped on the shoulder' at the end of 2015.

Otherwise, from what I can tell Feleti basically just went through the motions in NSW Cup and rarely looked like he was pushing for a spot in first grade. Whether that was because he realised he had no chance I don't know, but considering others were getting selected ahead of him (a-la the Wolfman in 2014) and that he was released to join Salford well before the season ended, it wouldn't surprise me.

Just on Gutho.....

While he has done well at doesn't-matta this year, and lately has shown that he has the makings of a good first grade 5/8, I do wonder if that would have been his position at Manly. I somehow doubt that he would be the long term solution to be DCE's halves partner. As we know DCE thrives on having an organising 5/8 next to him. He had that in Foran and he had it with Killer. But Gutho, for mine, would have been a bit too much like Walker in that respect (though more skillful).

Gutho as a centre or winger at Manly yes, as a 5/8 next to DCE.....I have my doubts.

Either way I wish he was still at Manly. Perfect replacement for Skivy next year if Steve's neck doesn't allow him to play on, and the perfect fit for the right wing for a year until Skivy retired. And a class goal kicker as well.

I still (partly) blame Mateo and Burgess though. If they had left when asked at the end of last season instead of digging their heels in and basically spending this year going through the motions in NSW Cup there wouldn't have been a need to cut either Gutho or Peta Hiku in order to sign Walker and Taupau. And had we been able to keep Gutho and Hiku, given the injuries we had this year its a fair bet both would have played a lot of first grade (I mean, just look at how much we had to play Wiliame and Wright.....).
Centre every day-he is good enough to play 5/8, but he is a better centre.

I was watching an Eels game on Fox a while back and Brandy mentioned that a bit into the off-season last year he had a chat with DCE about who his halves partner was going to be. He said that DCE said he was really surprised Gutho was let go because he could see him being best option.

Very interesting. I wonder if DCE made these thoughts known to the coach?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6