Best Ever Manly juniors ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Just re - watching the 2008 GF highligts for the 255th time and hard not to still get pumped up when Beaver Menzies scores that try featuring the underrated Robbo.
Got me thinking I have witnessed many amazing Manly players, but the local junior factor just added to this heroic moment.
Also a huge Toovey fan who imo, was a Massive heart on legs who made a habit of driving big players into the turf including Mal Meninga....just a Warrior.
The thing is with Menzies, this gangly backrower who tore edge defence to shreds and had though he had the best magician to run off in Cliffy Lyons, Menzies was a freak in his own right.
Close to the best defensive technique I have seen, fast as a centre, dynamic timing and often a match winner.
Before BK signed at Manly there was a time when the Manly side was average at best and Beaver Menzies basically kept lifted the team on his own both defensively and in attack.
I have Beaver the best local I have seen at Manly by a whisker with Tooves coming in equal 2nd with my favourite all time player with the blistering pace, try scoring ability and Massive leadership from the back (which does not get the credit it deserved) - Snake Stewart.
If it was 2025 could well have the Turbo's in there also.
I didn't see the great Bozo Fulton in action and many will have him as the best by a way....but the Beaver, who is such a likeable character and a loyal Manly man to the core gets my vote.
Who else do the Silvertails rate among the best Manly juniors ever from any era ??

Bozo's first game for Manly was in First Grade ..... not exactly a very young kid from Woolongong .....

.. and PSS .. the best player to ever lace a boot for Manly was Malcolm Reilly ...

Tom Trbojevic
Craig Hancock
Russell Gartner
Steven Knight
John Hopoate
Phil Blake
Geoff Toovey
Jake Trbojevic
Steve Menzies
Danny Gartner
Terry Randall
Max Krilich
Jason King

Reserves
Will Hopoate
Clint Gutherson
Anthony Watmough
John Gibbs
Roy Bull
John Harvey
David Ronson
Jack Elsegood
Adam Macdougall was a junior

Coach Frank Stanton
Manager Ken Arthurson
Commentators Rex Mossop & Matt Nable

Tom Trbojevic
Craig Hancock
Russell Gartner
Steven Knight
John Hopoate
Phil Blake
Geoff Toovey
Jake Trbojevic
Steve Menzies
Danny Gartner
Terry Randall
Max Krilich
Jason King

Reserves
Will Hopoate
Clint Gutherson
Anthony Watmough
John Gibbs
Roy Bull
John Harvey
David Ronson
Jack Elsegood

Coach Frank Stanton
Manager Ken Arthurson
Roy Bull played 23 tests and over 100 rep games in his career - he would be in there before King plus Randall would be in 2nd row before Garter in my humble opinion

I'd include Michael Blake in as well. Played against him in a trial game and he tackled my team mate, hit him under the ribs, snapped both his ankles. Big defender!

I rate Menzies number one, followed by this group in order, krilich, Randall, tooves, Thompson, Martin, Gibbs, Blake, r gartner, Jake, choc, d gartner, tom, hoppa

Edit added Thompson

Last edited:
Ian Martin came from the north coast, but was at Manly from a very young age.
Bull was well before my time but I would have Randall and Krilich as up there with Menzies.
Krilich captained the Kangaroos which is a rare honour.

Johnny Gibbs and Phil Blake would be next picks for me, absolute freaks in attack. Russell Gartner not far behind them, for a brief period at his peak he was the best centre in the game.

Ian Martin came from the north coast, but was at Manly from a very young age.
Bull was well before my time but I would have Randall and Krilich as up there with Menzies.
Krilich captained the Kangaroos which is a rare honour.
I didn’t know that about Ian Martin, he was graded by manly at 16, so are you sure?

He went to sawtell in 75 I believe to get selected for country and try to break into rep teams that way. Like why arko went to Parkes.

Tom Trbojevic
Craig Hancock
Russell Gartner
Steven Knight
John Hopoate
Phil Blake
Geoff Toovey
Jake Trbojevic
Steve Menzies
Danny Gartner
Terry Randall
Max Krilich
Jason King

Reserves
Will Hopoate
Clint Gutherson
Anthony Watmough
John Gibbs
Roy Bull
John Harvey
David Ronson
Jack Elsegood

Coach Frank Stanton
Manager Ken Arthurson

The MacDougall family lived across the Road from me in Cronulla and Adam was over every day.
His dad Gill was at Wests and Manly and an Aussie rep centre- not tall but built like a tank.
Gill Trained at the gym every day and belted up his boxing bag, had Adam into it also.
Gill was a tough nut and had a heap of stories about Bozo....and a funny personal story when Gill signed at Manly - a media bloke said Gills head would not fit through the Brookie goal posts, as in he was a big head....I likedGill .....lived hard and a genuine old school Aussie bloke.
Adam was a halfback at jnr level and Cronulla would not give him a look in, so almost skipped junior reps with Manly and St G interested - as a teen went to a local Newcastle comp and played with Paul Shaw (ex Manly super sub)
Got a shot at Roosters and his career boomed from there.
Obviously copped criticism for various reasons, but seen him train hard every day early on and was a good mate back in the day.
Have not spoke to Adam for a few years, but killing it with his man shakes....

I would rate Menzies as the top local junior.What an exciting player with ball in hand! Plus his copybook defence was very effective. He is the archetype for the try scoring forward and it is unlikely his record will be ever be beaten. His representative record is very impressive and he maintained a high standard of play over a club record number of games. He was a great athlete and very fit, missing very few games due to injury. He was universally liked on and off the field, an impeccable role model for young League followers.

Other local juniors worthy of notable mention are halfback/centre Frank Stanton, state & Australian rep player, and NSW centre Alec Tenant. His crash tackling & hard running style was great to watch.

Also, there was the beach sprint champion Australian winger Nick Yakich, but I am not sure if he was a local junior.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8