Boozing at the Wharf Bar launch

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In all seriousness, what were the players doing drinking to that extent only 8 days out from the Season opener? Now I am not one to advocate a total booze ban on players (I don't it'd work, and it's also probably not fair in general, similar to it happening to ourselves in our own work environment), but I do think they should be drinking in moderation during the season (for fitness purposes as much as anything else), and I think it was a bit irresponsible of the players and club management to allow it all to happen. I obviously don't know the full details of what happened between Watmough and the sponsor (neither does anyone not present), but it's fair to say that Choc had too much grog that night, as he himself admitted in the interviews. Surely someone should have been on hand to make sure the players only had a couple of drinks and were acting both appropriately and socially responsible a) with sponsors and guests present, and b) so close to the season start. What do you all think?
Also, did you see Patrick Smith's article in today's Australian? Basically calling for Brett to be sacked for bringing the game into disrepute. Has he ever heard of 'innocent until proven guilty'? What an idiot for writing that without knowing yet the full facts and details about what happened. If Stewart is found guilty, then he obviously will go, but to call for that beforehand is totally irresponsible for a journo.

I was a bit sad that the launch couldn't have been held at Brookvale oval on a Saturday or Sunday day/night.  (I assume it will be in the future)  I go to the fan days and it's a lot of fun wandering over the oval seeing the kids play footie and talking to the players.  Why a pub?  Who knows?  The 'Australian' is against most things that aren't sponsored by the Liberal Party, which would include the working man's game, rugby league.   

I think you will find this is a flow on effect from the nonsense that has been happening at board level.

Strong office = Strong team , etc , etc.

"I obviously don't know the full details of what happened between Watmough and the sponsor (neither does anyone not present), but it's fair to say that Choc had too much grog that night, as he himself admitted in the interviews. Surely someone should have been on hand to make sure the players only had a couple of drinks and were acting both appropriately and socially responsible a) with sponsors and guests present, and b) so close to the season start. What do you all think?"

I think this forum is not the place for suppositon.

I understand the reason for your post and am not trying to shoot you down as I feel it was posted with the best of intentions but I have have been at numerous events where the boys have mixed with fans and sponsors and alcohol has been available and there has been no trouble whatsoever.

It is not "fair to say" how much anyone had to drink at the event - that is how rumours start and then become "facts" in the media under the guises of "REPORTEDLY...." "SOURCES INDICATE...", "WE HAVE LEARNED...." etc etc

And to then think any nonsense could be linked to the back office is a way long bow to draw in my opinion......

Anyway what I hope is that future launches are at Brookie and during the afternoon.  Then all the kids can get involved.  Family/fan days are terrific.

still it is ridiculous that this function was 7 days before the start of the season start and the players were given a free reign to get plastered with no one to watch over them

I've been to about 3 of these season launches in the past 2 at the leagues club and 1 at Manly pacific. All were in the evening. Not one player in those occasions looked pissed. Maybe the Arvo events are part of the problem.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
still it is ridiculous that this function was 7 days before the start of the season start and the players were given a free reign to get plastered with no one to watch over them

I'd imagine that "free reign to get plastered" wasn't part of the club's brief to the players BE?
Understand your point but the players have shown many times in the past that they can attend these events and that they can be responsible?
We don't know who was drinking, how much and who if anyone was intoxicated to any degree?
I was at the NRL season launch at the Domain on Wednesday last week and Glen and Brett came over for a chat - neither had a drink in hand and Glen later mentioned that he'd had his first beer of the evening and with the jet lag he would leave it at that as he was feeling it.
The footage of Brett at the NRL event with a beer in his hand may have lead people to believe he "was getting on it" which from what I witnessed certainly wasn't the case (Both for the Stewart boys and a large number of other players and management from all of the NRL teams)

Yeah I know Vid, but our club was leading the way in professionalism and then they go on a season launch that looks like it was organised by schoolies

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8