Brenton Lawrence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Lawrence taking flight with the Sea Eagles

Jon Tuxworth
SPORTS REPORTER AT THE CANBERRA TIMES

He's the late bloomer who has taken the NRL by storm, but Manly prop Brenton Lawrence could have been lost to the game years ago had it not been for some timely advice from Canberra coach David Furner.
As Raiders premier league coach in 2005, Furner was shell-shocked when Lawrence told him he was putting football on the back-burner to concentrate on his university degree. Convinced of his potential to play NRL, Furner urged Lawrence to stay involved when he confronted him in the club gym. Lawrence heeded that advice and spent two years as captain-coach of Woden Valley Rams, before finally cracking the NRL with Gold Coast in 2011.
After 18 games with the Titans, Lawrence has proven one of the bargain buys of the season for Manly, starting every game alongside Brent Kite in the front row.

Lawrence signed with Canberra as an outside back as a 17-year-old, but it was Furner who noted his potential as a forward and shifted him to the pack.

Furner couldn't be happier for a player and person he rates highly, but only has himself to blame should Lawrence tear his side apart at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night.

''He wanted to finish his degree [arts with international relations major] and I was disappointed because I thought he had a lot of potential to play first grade,'' Furner said.
''I said, 'Do yourself a favour and still play rugby league', play in the local competition and at least you can go back to it.''
Furner's decision to shift him to prop was a slice of wisdom he was reluctant to accept. Almost a decade later it's proven a masterstroke, the 28-year-old establishing himself as a key man in the Sea Eagles' revered pack.

''I love it [prop] now but at the time I didn't want to, I don't mind admitting that,'' Lawrence said.
''At the time I didn't think it was a good move, but everyone said you won't be a good front-rower until you're a bit older.
''I was young, and I guess I should have had more trust in what they were doing back then.
''I always said if I am to be a front-rower, I want to be the fastest one in the game.''

His experience as a centre or winger has allowed him to achieve that aim. At the Titans last year, he was equal-fastest over 40 metres with noted speedster David Mead. This season, he broke

Manly workhorse Matt Ballin's beep-test record, before the hooker reclaimed it a week later. ''He was unbelievable in the 40s [at Canberra] and things like that, he was always first,'' Furner said.
''His speed doesn't surprise me because I've seen it all before, I've watched him take kick-offs and run the length of the field.''
His stint at the Rams has taught Lawrence to cherish every NRL game he plays. But he could be flying planes instead of lining up for one of the competition's high-flyers had fate not intervened.
''I graduated from University of Canberra and was very close to joining the Air Force,'' he said

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/lawrence-taking-flight-with-the-sea-eagles-20130522-2k1mr.html#ixzz2U6wOiq9u

well he was one of the first back for the fanua break on Monday as well. Easily the quickest prop in the NRL and going great guns

There's a lot to like about about BJ, can't believe we picked him up so "easily". Great buy and a pretty bloody handy player. Definitely a late bloomer.

Would love to know what the beep test record was - pumping my own tyres I have done a 14.2 and nearly died, I reckon he has rocked out a 16.

What this proves is Lawrence has some serious endurance, who knows what our other forwards can do - but it may go some way to answering the quandary of Tooveys bench utilisation

Gotta remember he hasn't been playing first grade footy regularly until this season.

Take nothing away from him though, he's killing it.

Now the Maroons are claiming South Australian Brenton Lawrence

Nick Walshaw
The Daily Telegraph
May 24, 2013 12:00AM

SNEAKY Queensland have gone and jagged themselves another one.

Despite trying to make himself available for the NSW Origin team only weeks ago, boom Manly prop Brenton Lawrence has today been stamped Maroon by the NRL.

Incredibly, the decision comes after months of confusion for the 28-year-old, who played his junior football in South Australia and Canberra.

After an outstanding start to the year with the Sea Eagles, Lawrence actually tried to claim eligibility for NSW by pushing for a spot in the annual City-Country match.

Despite not wanting to comment on the decision when contacted by The Daily Telegraph last night, his manager Gavin Orr described the situation as "a shambles".

"For weeks people have been telling us that, because Brenton was playing in South Australia at 13, he was ineligible for either NSW or Queensland," Orr said yesterday.

"We couldn't believe it and the poor bloke was filthy. Apparently under the new eligibility rules, the age of where you're playing has dropped from 16 to 13. So last year he was a New South Welshman. And we actually looked into seeing if Brenton was eligible for either City or Country.

"With the way he's been playing I thought he was a certainty for one of those sides. But the response I got from Ian Schubert - and you can quote me - is that when South Australia gets an Origin team, he's first one picked."

Despite spending the majority of his childhood in Adelaide and Canberra, the fact Lawrence was born in Mackay saw him deemed a Queenslander by officials.

Having moved interstate with his family aged eight, the gifted schoolboy was then graded into the Canberra juniors system in his early teens. In fairness to the NRL, the new eligibility laws aim to bring some semblance of order to a previously chaotic selection process.

"There are a number of criteria that have to be worked through in a case like this one but, essentially, it got back to the fact that Brenton Lawrence was born in Queensland," a league spokesman said yesterday.

Both Orr and a Manly spokesman said last night they had not been officially told of the decision while Lawrence's eligibility was also argued at length recently by the 2GB Continuous Call team.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/now-the-maroons-are-claiming-south-australian-brenton-lawrence/story-fndv2twz-1226649545389

BJ's physical capabilities are phenomenal.

He would be a worthy pick for the QLD starting front row. His form has been that good.

He was born in Qld so he should only be eligible for Qld. Surely the rules should be that simple. And yes, I know, it hasn't applied to so many others. But the word 'origin' should mean the place you were born. It's time to simplify it.

Brenton has been the buy of the season, closely followed by Horo. Along with Ballin he has been our most consistent forward, imo. He is exceptional, and will be the leader of our pack next year.

The Who said:
He was born in Qld so he should only be eligible for Qld. Surely the rules should be that simple. And yes, I know, it hasn't applied to so many others. But the word 'origin' should mean the place you were born. It's time to simplify it.

Brenton has been the buy of the season, closely followed by Horo. Along with Ballin he has been our most consistent forward, imo. He is exceptional, and will be the leader of our pack next year.

I'd rate Choc as our most consistent, and best forward so far this year.

I wonder with his speed, what he would be like as lock or second row, thereby allowing him to play further from the centre of the field and possibly a Menzies type role. With Sao and Trbojevic likely to be available for firsts in 2014, that's a formidable front row on the rise. Glenn Stewart and Watmough arent getting younger and we'll soon need some top back rowers. Hope they offer Symonds a healthy contract to discourage him looking elsewhere.

Run out of steam the last few weeks?

Thinks we only paid him enough for a half season?

Forgotten how big and fast he is?

Stats tell a diff story?

Whatever the cause, to me he seems like he's fizzled big time.

Answers on a digital postcard.

He surprised everyone at the start, as well as opposition.
They (opp) forwards are going in on him hard and in numbers now.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8