Brett or Peta

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
susan said:
This thread is a joke right:)

Apparently not.

Hiku is currently about the 14th best fullback and the 27th best winger in the comp. With hard work and dedication he may become the 10th best fullback in the comp. Either way he is no snake.

I'm not sold either way yet. I'll wait to see what Wombat tweets on the subject.

Should their utility value come into it? Would love to see Snake at 5/8. :p

6/71 said:
Brett was / is better. But his best days are done.

Hiku could be anything. Will he reach Brett at his peak? Probably not. Will he perform better than a declining Brett? Probably.

If we sign people on former glories we will never win another thing. It is unfortunate but player management is very much what have you done for me lately and what can you continue to provide. No room to look after old, broken campaigners under the salary cap- no matter how much I wish the game was more loyal.

Take it you were absent for Round 1 this season

I'd suggest you get a copy of that and rewatch the 1st half then revisit the best days are done comment

Kiwi Eagle said:
6/71 said:
Brett was / is better. But his best days are done.

Hiku could be anything. Will he reach Brett at his peak? Probably not. Will he perform better than a declining Brett? Probably.

If we sign people on former glories we will never win another thing. It is unfortunate but player management is very much what have you done for me lately and what can you continue to provide. No room to look after old, broken campaigners under the salary cap- no matter how much I wish the game was more loyal.

Take it you were absent for Round 1 this season

I'd suggest you get a copy of that and rewatch the 1st half then revisit the best days are done comment

Round 1 is in the past KE ;)

Snake said:
wedgetail eagle said:
gotsy said:
Personally I'd re-sign Hiku. I love Brett, but with all his injuries in the last 18 months, and him missing a lot of games.
Agree, 100%.Concentrate on Hiku, because right or wrong, someday Stewart will retire.

Someday every player will retire, but when they are still playing great football, they are worth keeping over a rookie. I can't imagine Hiku having the pace or telepathy to pounce on Glenn's grubber against Souths in the Prelim last year, nor can I imagine him having the nous or sleight of hand to put Balin over down a short side in the same game.

He is still a match winner in the biggest games of the season. A champion with a couple of good years ahead of him!

If all clubs ever did was plan for the future, they would miss the present and be stuck in a rebuilding phase year in year out.

Agree Snake, but my point was in regard to the Stewart-Hiku situation, we need a future plan, otherwise we'll be living in the Glory days, like Souths, saying
"Do you remember when..", for 40 plus years.

Noticed in the sheds before the game Gutherson was included in the pre game ritual so to speak.
At this stage he must be being considered as an option. IMO he will be the longer term back up for Snake. I would be looking out for the dirty poaching bloodhound Desmond here!
Hiku will cover cover centre and wing if we retain him. IMO HIku > wolf ATM.

I think Hiku is a really bright prospect, my concern is really timing with him. If it was 2 or 3 years time (with Snake and Killer about to sail off to the Wee Waa Panthers) I'd say he is absolutely essential to keep. However we are in that middle phase, there is no real obvious place for him to keep someone out of the side and we are just in a holding pattern with Snake and his injuries to see if he can contribute.

I agree with the attitude that we can't retain players on past glories, absolutely. However I don't think Snake is past those days. That opening half against the Storm (and some games at the back end of last season) reminded us all how great he was....and still is.

Personally I believe Snake is worth the risk. With him in the squad for the next 2 or 3 years I think we have a very good chance of winning another premiership (even if he plays only 10-12 games). Without him, I think a premiership is unlikely with Hiku, Gutherson or anyone else at FB.

Agree re keeping Brett. We will be entering our rebuilding phase from 2016 onwards, however I reckon we have one more chance to win a premiership before that. Either this year or next, and we will need Snake to do that.
They are too hard to win and you need to take your opportunity when it's there.
In a perfect world we could keep Hiku on a smaller contract for two more years, then pay him overs in return for his loyalty after that. But it doesn't work that way and I understand why that would be a huge ask.

I'm not sold on Gutherson being at NRL level yet.. Great young talent. But not sure he comes withing a mile of Hiku ATM. He seems to be struggling in defence in at NSW cup level.

Cliffy said:
I'm not sold on Gutherson being at NRL level yet.. Great young talent. But not sure he comes withing a mile of Hiku ATM. He seems to be struggling in defence in at NSW cup level.

He's also built like paper !

I fail to see how this is an option.

Brett is already signed for 4 years so we pay for him anyway.

If it were an option then I fail to see how comparing 500K Vs 150K players works or are we going the head in the sand option and ignoring the salary cap issues like with the other stewart

bennyeagle said:
Cliffy said:

He's also built like paper !

Yeah cause 19/20 year olds never grow

I don't understand the Gutherson hate on this board....he is a serious prospect!!!

Don't think its hate.Just most blokes think he isn't ready physically yet and fullback is an incredibly demanding position both in attack and defence.If he matures he will definitely get a crack but from what I have seen he would be fodder at the moment.

Look at Dugan,Tedesco,Brett,Coote etc.They spend half their time sitting on the sidelines.Modern fullbacks get smashed taking bombs,smashed bringing it back,smashed running inside lines off the playmakers and then are expected to score and create tries.Needs a tough body to do all that.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2