Brett Stewart our most important player ever?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hear what the Snake had to say after the game

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Our-experience-shone-through-Snake/85228

Chip and Chase said:

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Our-experience-shone-through-Snake/85228
Good to see him smiling, confident after Hamstring injury, which hes says is fine.

Chip and Chase said:

Awesome!!! What a player, The Prince of Brookvale.

Bozo would have to stay as the most influential player for me. As to no.1s, Wombat and Snake are very different players and it's hard to rank them overall, but in terms of influence/game reading/ball playing snake is on top.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
He's one of he best players I've ever seen, in any position. Over his career he's scored tries that nobody else could have scored - his hands and anticipation are truly extraordinary. As a fullback, there are no weaknesses in his game: he's safe under the high ball, a great organiser in defence, a strong tackler in cover, plus he scores plenty of tries and sets up plenty of others. His passing game is sublime and he can kick effectively when he has to. Sure, he's not as dangerous returning the ball as somebody like Inglis but he doesn't have to be. For a fullback that's a bonus, not a requirement.
Like many of our current stars, I still don't think he gets the accolades he deserves, partly because he plays for Manly and partly - sadly and horribly - because a false accusation dragged his reputation through the mud and the NRL hung him out to dry. But he's better than Slater, better than Inglis, better than anyone.

I missed this post, but you could not hit the mark more perfectly than you just did. His passing game is second to none for a fullback. Deciding either to throw the cut out or to the centre is 99% times the correct decision. If his kick returns were more powerful (and we can blame his dodgy knees for this) I have no doubt that he would be the best fullback in the modern era. 2 years of injury has also robbed him of this accolade.

In 2009 he was the best player in the NRL.

Long live the Snake.

Sheikheagle said:
I think killer deserves to be talked about in the same terms. He is the glue that holds the team together

I agree with this, Killer is an outstanding all round player, Goal kicker, try scorer, and Captain.

Bozo probably gets the nod as the most important, but it would be a toss up with Killer for mine.

Wombat was an awesome goal kicker, but not as important as Snake for x factor perhaps. Snake would have to be Manlys most important fullback, debatable if he is the best, but most important to this side yes.

Most of our great fullbacks kicked goals. Ridge was probably the 3rd greatest ever kicker, eclipsed only by Halligan, and El Masri, in the modern era, IMO....

It's always hard to compare players from different eras, but it pressed, I'd have to say Snake is the best.

I still have vivid memories of Wombat though and two more than the others. The way he would chime into the backline at a scrum, slice straight through and set sail for the corner. And him crunching players into touch 5m out in cover defence.

But I have to throw Ridge in there too. He may have been a different style of fullback, but he was crucial to our side in the 90's.

Love all 3 of them.

Article basically says we'll win the GF on the back of Brett's X-factor. Hard to disagree :)

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/10/02/why-the-sea-eagles-will-win-the-nrl-grand-final/

Thats a great article. Its nice to see him pointing out past incidents as 'pure fantasy'. Not all journalists and commentators make the effort to do so

The Year of the Snake - Chinese Calendar - STARTS TODAY !!

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/social_customs/zodiac/snake.htm

:exclamation: :idea: :exclamation: :idea:

The Prince of Brookvale said:
The best player to ever wear the no 1 for Manly.

Eadie, Ridge, Snake...

All were instrumental in our achievements at their respective times. I can never rate one above the other.

Given this problem exists for our club across the eras, I think it's time to seriously think about TWO seperate teams (Improbables vs Impossibles) to make up our Best Ever squads.

17 positions just aren't enough.

Hamster Huey said:
The Prince of Brookvale said:
The best player to ever wear the no 1 for Manly.

Eadie, Ridge, Snake...

All were instrumental in our achievements at their respective times. I can never rate one above the other.

Given this problem exists for our club across the eras, I think it's time to seriously think about TWO seperate teams (Improbables vs Impossibles) to make up our Best Ever squads.

17 positions just aren't enough.
There'd be a thread we could 're-invigorate' ? actually a few, 'cause we're so blessed with talent across the decades . . . .

I now think he has surpassed Wombat as our most influential fullback primarily because of the win-loss ration when he plays/is out.
However, our most influential all-time player is Bob Fulton. It is hard for those who aren't old enough to have seen Bozo play to appreciate just how great he was.
If you could combine the acceleration of Snake, with the toughness of Foran, the guile of Cherry and the overall skill of Lyon then you may be able to imagine how influential Bozo was.

The Who said:
I now think he has surpassed Wombat as our most influential fullback primarily because of the win-loss ration when he plays/is out.
However, our most influential all-time player is Bob Fulton. It is hard for those who aren't old enough to have seen Bozo play to appreciate just how great he was.
If you could combine the acceleration of Snake, with the toughness of Foran, the guile of Cherry and the overall skill of Lyon then you may be able to imagine how influential Bozo was.

Bozo holds that special place in our history . . . .All except for one vital quality. ie Bob Fulton abandoned Manly in the off season 1976 to go an play for you know who. I held the view that Fulton was the number 1 until a few weeks ago.

If we win Sat it'll be 3 Premierships each. Coupled with the try scoring ratio and sheer excitement factor, Snake will have it.
At the very least the Jane Try Stand should be renamed etc etc.

I think you will find that the Jane Try Stand will unfortunately never be renamed due to the historical tie with the land and Warringah Council! Maybe this would change if the ground wasn't owned by the council......

KaZa said:
we will look back in 10 years and think Geez.. i wish we had a player like B Stewart. He won 3-4 grand finals with us.. what an era ;)

I believe we will look back in 10 years and say how lucky were we to have a player like C Gutherson to replace B Stewart when he retired.

Clints game and skills are very very similar. The only question I have is on his ability to organise defence and read the game like Brett

091030-stewart-brothers.jpg

The Manly Sea Eagles' superstar brothers and dual premiership players Brett and Glenn Stewart, pictured as junior recruits at Brookvale Oval. They will play for a third NRL title on Sunday against the Roosters.

Wharfie Darren Higgins shipped Manly stars Brett and Glenn Stewart towards NRL glory
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wharfie-darren-higgins-shipped-manly-stars-brett-and-glenn-stewart-towards-nrl-glory/story-fndv31ch-1226731091233

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8