BRETT STEWART TO SIGN WITH DRAGONS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Like The Wheel said, we were always going to have to lose a high profile player to stay under the cap next year. We are probably going to lose more of our high profile players over the next few years due to age and salary cap so its time to build for the future. DCE, Foran, Buhrer, lussick and Trex ect are where we need to direct our money.

Bones I've always thought it was 2014 for Glenn and I read it somewhere the other day ..
"The Daily Telegraph can reveal Schubert told the Sea Eagles both siblings are legally bound to the club until the completion of their contracts, with Brett's deal up at the end of 2012 and Glenn's expiring two years later."

2gb news -
"Manly fullback Brett Stewart is being 'linked' with St George Illawarra"

They did not say he HAS been linked.
I believe this is his managers work in his attempt to drive up the Sea Eagles offer.

TerryRandall said:
Still highlights to me some fundamental problems with how the game is being run - long-standing, loyal players being forced to move clubs, and the constant movement of players disrupting a season which has only just gotten underway.

100%! The only people being asked to show loyalty in league are us fans and even then we're being asked to PAY up as members for the privilige!

Meanwhile us fans get left holding nothing but our $200 jersey while players, coaches and officials just go where the $ are to put on some other club's colours.

And to make it worse all this crap goes on during the season.

If Dragons sign Snake I predict the whiteanting of Gift's contract to begin about two seconds later. I predict Gift will be gone to Dargons too by end of this season.

What's the point of the upside of winning a grand final is that over the next 6 months you have feel the pain of watching your club torn apaprt by the salary cap & vultures from the other 15 clubs picking the eyes out of your team? What's the point? Why do we as fans bother with supporting NRL at all?

Good luck to Brett either way. If he goes it really exposes the idiocy if young hoppa. He had the opportunity to be our fullback for the next dozen years injury permitting. The dumb mission thing takes 2 great years off his career. Then he goes to the predicted 2012 wooden spooners, will be behind hayne most likely, and there is no guarantee Kearney will be there in 6 months let alone 2 years. The kid needed better advice than what he got from tyran smith, it should be about a long term career.

bones said:
Andrew Webster was on the BSB this morning saying he has heard the rumours but he doesn't think anything has been done yet. He said in all honesty he can't see Brett leaving Glenn. He also said Glenn is contracted til the end of 2014, not 2013. I always thought it was 2014, but others are saying 2013. Does anyone know for certain which is right?

The only players contract to play in the 2014 season at this stage are Anthony Watmough, Jason King and Jamie Buhrer, Kieran Foran has an option, according to zero tackle.

Ps gutherson sounds like the next Dugan by all accounts, and he can kick too. Will he be ready next year? Brett debuted at 18? As did hoppa, k hunt?

The Independant commission need to change the rules so clubs can retain their own players so they become 1 club players
5 years 25%
7 years 50%
10 years 100%
Funded by the NRL

slickster71 said:
Just heards on the Alan Jones program that Brett Stewart about to sign with the Dragons on a long term deal
Alan Jones coached the Tigers did'nt he?....... Who is it we're playing tonight?..............

Berkeley_Eagle said:
The Independant commission need to change the rules so clubs can retain their own players so they become 1 club players
5 years 25%
7 years 50%
10 years 100%
Funded by the NRL

Is unfair as the Broncos being only club in Brisbane can go get 3rd party deals for their top players. Manly can't compete with that.

It's more than sad if it is true, Brett Stewart would have been one of the Manly greats had he finished his career with us, but the sad fact of the salary cap days is that you just cant hold onto everyone.

It will be a long long time before we find a fullback of his quality

Chip and Chase said:
It will be a long long time before we find a fullback of his quality

We potentially had one in Hoppa, but let him go as well.

I disagree, hoppa was good but he never would have been of the same ilk as Brett. Brett is a unique player and a completely different style to Hoppa. He would have been handy, but not the same.

Well lets hope this kid people are talking about in the SG Ball can make a rapid rise to NRL

slickster71 said:
Just heards on the Alan Jones program that Brett Stewart about to sign with the Dragons on a long term deal

As my Dragons supporting wife said Alan Jones would know this why???

Oh hang on - "Hi AJ its Snake here have I got some news for you" - NOT

Sad if it happens.

Look at the positives we have some really exciting young kids coming through and once(hopefully we retain) our halves we are always going to be strong.
We could potentially have another B.Stewart in the wings only time will tell

Doesn't make sense to me.
They had Moltzen with his career in front of him for probably half the dosh but let him stay at the Tiges and then sign up Snake.
Didn't the cap squeeze out quite a few quality forwards at the Dragons,
Gaz was apparently on a lot but not that much, surely.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6