Brett Stewart's done it all, but would he do it all again? Perhaps not

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mitch

Bencher
SMH - Danny Weidler

It's fair to say Brett Stewart is in a happy place. It's called Melbourne. It's his new home. Where he's starting a new life.

He is the managing director of Toko San, his new restaurant project. There was light and happiness in his voice. Something I've not heard for some years.

He has not talked publicly since retiring from the Sea Eagles, but after close to a year out of the public eye he was happy to chat.

"I am enjoying my time after footy," he said. "Sure, Iam missing the boys and the camaraderie ... but there are lots of things I'm not missing — like being in the media, the politics, the scrutiny."

Stewart will be given the send-off he richly deserves next weekend when he is paraded before Eagles fans.

"It means a lot to me because the fans at Manly have been a huge part of my life and it will be great to have that kind of send-off," he said.

"I have so many great memories at the club ... the 2008 and 2011 grand finals ... the fans and the football have been such a big part of my life".

He is the Prince of Brookvale. Few have owned that turf like he has.

What does he think of the nickname? "It makes me smile," he said.

Yet, when I put a standard retirement question to him, I get anything but a stock answer. Would you do it over again?

"I can't answer that," he said. "It's a very good question. I can't give you an honest answer. I'd really have to think about it."

This columnist thinks the answer would be no. Who would want to have their reputation destroyed by a false allegation that he sexually assaulted a young girl.

He successfully sued the media outlet that reported the claim on its front page. But the money doesn't take away the sideways glances or the innuendo.

Before that he was a poster boy of the game. The allegations changed him.

"I didn't know who to be angry at," Stewart said. "Thepeople reading it and believing it or the people writing it. In the end, it was at the media.

"When it first became public, I tried to control it. But there was nothing I could do. I've had the attitude that I can't cry over spilt milk. I can't dwell on it but, yeah, it hurt."

Far more than any injury. His career was nearly cut short in 2010. A serious knee injury gave him a glimpse into the future.

"The doctor told me if I was coming back to him it would be bad and that's what happened almost exactly a year ago," Stewart said. "He told me I was on borrowed time and my latest injury ended it."

After his first big operation, Stewart somehow rediscovered his best. And that's why the send-off will mean so much. Football was always a happy place.

"I had lots of fun at that ground [Brookvale] and it will be great to be back there," he said. "I haven't been to a game since I retired, so it will be nice to be back."

And how does he hope to be remembered. "Just as a bloke who his teammates liked playing with."

Sensational Snake was pure Speed and Skill .
At his best he was unstoppable !!!
2e3a6c9fc2b706370f55dddc04d0ab53.jpg

This article may help stop the speculation on here why he is still not around the club mentoring Tommy Turbo .
I could only imagine that he has plenty of spare time to fly in from Melbourne a couple of times a week while being a managing director of a restaurant .
Also yes he played poorly last year as we all know (as he would know too). But rather than match fixing or sulking (like a few on here suggest) could it just be that his body (and endless) injuries totally caught up with him and that he lost a lot of confidence from that .
Also yes I do know and am aware that he and Steve Matai are still on contract for this year but imo they have battered their bodies and done so much for the Sea Eagles over the years that the Sea Eagles board and owners have absolutely no problem that they want to get away from footy and move on with their lives however they choose .
Another great thing about this article is that unlike Anthony Watmough he does not sound bitter or take any pot shots at the club.
I cannot wait to see Brett Stewart , Matt Ballin and hopefully Steve Matai next weekend get the farewell lap and recognition from the fans they all truly deserve

I'll forgo my seat in the Jane Try to get a spot on the fence to give him a standing ovation and hopefully a pat on the back.

I love the guy and what he had to endure off the field was disgraceful. I still feel angry about it and it wasn't even happening to me!

And i do believe that while his mind probably wasn't into the last year of playing, his knee just wasn't up to it and that's why he played poorly.

It looked to me that he was asked to play on while we had half our side out injured but he really couldn't run. He just had to take his place in the side as that was the year we had the most injuries i've ever seen.

Anyway, one of my alltime favourite players and i'll have a tear in the eye while cheering my heart out for the champion.

Also for Matty Ballin and Steve Matai who were both warriors and champions for us.

And thank you to Danny Weidler who actually stated what we all know in that he was falsely accused of that sexual assault.

Most just say how he got off but rarely do they say it was a false allegation.

Last edited:
Absolute legend of the club! I'll be forever grateful that I was around to witness him in full flight for all those great years. Great career

I understand that people are entitled to their opinions but so am I...I think if you've bagged or sulked or kicked the boot into Snake or Matai, you're a piece of dirt.

Two absolute legends of the club that helped us win two premierships...what happens behind closed doors is anyone's guess but they gave far more than they ever took over the years so it's just poor form to bag them regardless

So glad to read this. I've always believed that the false accusations really changed tho happiness of this bloke who had been a kid on top of the world. Glad that he's getting on with his life post footy.
Can't be there next Sunday due to geographics but really wish I could be.
Go The Snake!
Such a pity The Matai can't be there.

So glad to read this. I've always believed that the false accusations really changed tho happiness of this bloke who had been a kid on top of the world. Glad that he's getting on with his life post footy.
Can't be there next Sunday due to geographics but really wish I could be.
Go The Snake!
Such a pity The Matai can't be there.
Yeah imagine the personal trauma he went through and the injuries and playing with diabetes for all those years...then he plays through obvious injury last year and people want to stick the knife in...I don't get it.

Besides, if the worst thing he ever did was feel hurt at the treatment of his brother, well so be it. We've all been upset with our employer for various reasons, the only difference is our workplaces don't have jerseys and supporters. He signed an extension after his brother had left and so did Matai so they couldn't have too big a problem with the club to want to stick around.

these guys are human beings and I personally don't understand why some supporters feel so entitled to perfection all the time...like it has to be one big happy family with no conflict and they just go out and bleed for the jumper and win so you can lay your head on the pillow at night and feel satisfied...it's beyond belief; it's fairy tale stuff.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8