Bulldogs offer to Des - according to G Hughes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle-rock08

Reserve Grader
I was listening to the radio on 2HD at Newcastle and heard the regular 'pre-match' picks by Hughes and a local TV and radio identity up here. They do this every Friday morning.

They both picked Manly by the way.

Graeme Hughes went on to say that the Dogs were offering Des an additional $200K to coach their side.

He also said he'd have something about the board meeting and the withdrawal of the lawyer just before the Glenn Stewart appearance judiciary a few weeks ago.

I for one would hate to see Des go but it's a big offer. But I hope it's more than just money with Des and it's Manly pride and he stays.

After all, in my opinion he should be and is 'coach of the year' for the past several years.

I would rate the coaches as follows:

1 Des
2 Cleary
3 Bennett
4 Belly ache (I don't know how he continually gets the nod - he had the best team money could buy and has still won nothing.)

I heard Crusher this morning. It's a complete beat up. Des is contracted to the Sea Eagles until the end of the 2012 season.

Penn has invested many millions into the team and he won't stand by and let Des go any time soon.

Certainly Bulldogs probably have made that offer. I don't think it makes a difference and we will see Des extend his contract. Though I would say that a lot of it hinges on whether the current make-up of the boards of both the FC and the Sea Eagles may impact on the decision. Ideally there would be a change in one if not both.

Canterbury Bulldogs keen to interview Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler
Phil Rothfield
Sports Editor-at-Large
The Daily Telegraph
September 23, 2011 12:00AM

THE secret is out on why the Bulldogs have delayed naming a coach for next season - they want to interview Manly's Des Hasler once he has completed his commitments with the Sea Eagles this year.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Canterbury have made preliminary contact with a senior player agent who is advising the record-breaking 2008 premiership-winning coach on his future.

It's a good time for the Bulldogs to be putting out feelers because Hasler is unhappy working under several board members who recently dismissed his long-time friend and media advisor Peter Peters. The same board members earlier this year had the opportunity to extend Hasler's contract beyond next season but inexplicably refused to do a deal.

Canterbury are also keen on Manly's recruitment boss Noel Cleal to work alongside Hasler.

It is unlikely Hasler would leave Manly because of his incredibly strong bond with the players, particularly the Stewart brothers, Glenn and Brett.

But the fact the Bulldogs have waited weeks and put a number of other high-profile coaches on hold indicates how keen they are to sit down with Hasler next week or after the grand final - even knowing Manly have an option on his services.

When I asked a senior Canterbury official about their interest in Hasler, he replied: "No comment." But he added: "Who wouldn't want Des Hasler?"

Hasler is on about $400,000 but could earn more than $600,000 at Belmore. He is rated among the top three coaches in the game, alongside Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy.

Any board members not giving 110% support to Des & Crusher have a hell of a lot to explain. Surely.

That's why people NEED to become members of the Football Club so that they can get voting rights to have a say who is on the Board to make these decisions!

Can anyone confirm if the statement in the article "The same board members earlier this year had the opportunity to extend Hasler's contract beyond next season but inexplicably refused to do a deal" is actually true or not?

And if it is true then explain why Des was not signed up long term?

Guys I believe this is all media bs .. News Ltd would be having a field day with this.. They are desprate to make sure we don't get a win.. Just forget about this shyte and concentrate on venting all this energy at the game tonight. We will be at the wrong end of the penalty count the boys need us more than ever tonight. Don't worry about Des he is Manly through and through. P.s whoever is not a member please consider joining its not that expensive for basic membership... Let's go manly...

He would have to go to Belmore every day and he would only get an extra $200K. Sounds like a cr@p deal to me.

ps. They are overpaying their halfback too!

I'm pretty sure that when Des took the reins it was somewhat due to the fact that he's Manly through & through and took the job because he knew he could make a difference. Also, reasonably sure that at the time it was mentioned that he didn't see himself as a "career" coach - things may have changed in that regard as he's proved to be pretty good at it.
Can't see him coaching anywhere else for all the tea in China frankly.

Received this e-mail from Bob reilly tonight

Dear Member
The Directors of Manly-Warringah District Rugby League Football Club (Football Club) and Manly-Warringah Rugby League Club (League Club) are deeply concerned at reports currently circulating about Des Hasler's position as coach of the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

As Chairman of the Football and League Clubs I can confirm that both Boards:
• Support Des Hasler as coach of the Sea Eagles
• Support the extension of Des Hasler's contract to coach the Sea Eagles
• Support Des Hasler's request for increased funding for the Toyota and NSW Cup teams
Both Clubs acknowledge the outstanding role Des Hasler has played in the Club as player and coach and his importance to the future of our great club. Both Boards are working with Penn Sport and the Quantum Group to secure a long-term extension of Des Hasler's coaching contract with the Sea Eagles. Rest assured, if we can make it happen, on terms that work for both Des and the Sea Eagles, we will.

Yours faithfully
Bob Reilly, Chairman
MWDRLFC
MWRLC

Basically what Des is saying that he wants to coach Manly but is sick of the board interference from the Football Club board. I can assure you that the coaching staff tolerated Max but never liked his interference, dating back to Monasgate!!! A few on our board are more concerned about their egos and their own role rather than what is good for the football club. I think it might be time for a personality or former player to put his name up as Chairman of the Football Club board. Is Max Krilich available?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8