Bulldogs Willie Talau’s brother accused of punching teen referee

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...&utm_source=DailyTelegraph&utm_medium=Twitter

bd024b7815f953eca3762132174b1a18

Jucy Talau allegedly punched teenage rugby league referee Kurt Portsmouth, 16, during an under-12s match in Engadine on Saturday. Picture: Facebook

Champion Bulldogs centre Willie Talau’s brother accused of punching teen referee Kurt Portsmouth
6cf0cacf9a5f388ead215f7739a1d27e

LAURA BANKS and PHIL ROTHFIELD, The Daily Telegraph
June 19, 2016 10:00pm

6cf0cacf9a5f388ead215f7739a1d27e

THE BROTHER of Canterbury Bulldogs star Willie Talau is facing serious assault charges after allegedly punching a 16-year-old referee during an under-12s rugby league game.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal it was 34-year-old Jucy Talau who allegedly punched teen referee Kurt Portsmouth in a shock incident that drew condemnation from authorities.

Kurt’s father Scott Portsmouth last night said he had “never seen anything” that compared to the incident in his 35 years of being involved in the sport. “The crowd just groaned and I ran out on to the field to be with my son,” he said.

04455efe97dc5ee71017551facd9537a

Kurt talks to police after the alleged assault.
The incident occurred after the young referee had ruled Talau’s son be replaced during a match between the Engadine Dragons and Gymea Gorillas. Police had to be called to Anzac Oval in Engadine, with Talau — a trainer with the Gorillas — being charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Kurt — who suffered a brain tumour four years ago — was taken to Sydney Children’s Hospital with bruising.

Cronulla Junior Rugby League general manager Nathan Waugh issued a blanket media ban to league officials via email yesterday, warning that anyone caught talking to journalists about the “distressing incident” would face judicial discipline.

“If anyone is found to have made comment to the media and is named or quoted concerning the incident, the Junior League will cite that individual and they will face a judicial hearing,” the email read. “The Junior League is working closely with the Referees Association, the two clubs involved, Cronulla Sharks, NSWRL and the NRL.

“We are co-operating with all relevant parties to look after the welfare of the young referee.”

Mr Portsmouth said his son was keen to get back on the paddock and to referee more games.

“Kurt is OK except for a black eye,” he said. “The important thing is Kurt doesn’t want this incident to put off other potential young referees.”

Talau will appear in Sutherland Local Court on Wednesday.

A rugby league judiciary hearing is yet to be fixed.

knowing the Portsmouth family, all I can say, some of the nicest people you can meet.
low act by a big bully, should be rubbed out of the game and I certainly hope a civil action follows as this will be the only way you can hurt some of these people.

Did I hear correctly that the ref requested that the player in question be replaced due to persistent back chat and dissent ?? If so, it makes sense where he got that attitude from given his fathers reaction to the situation.

Surely this guy will get a life ban and also face criminal assault charges.

Wow the kid has recovered from a brain tumour so a blow to the head could have been even more dangerous.

Surely there is some way the Bulldogs can be made liable for this? Imagine if the brother of an ex manly player had done this? Docked points, suspensions, fines ...

Also it was in the cronulla junior league. What sort of tin pot comp are they running down there? Flanagan has a lot to answer for ;0)

I know:

Manly link to ref assault

The man arrested for punching cronulla junior referee is the brother of Willie Talau, who played against manly over a decade ago. Rhymes with Tapau.

I think that is fair. He will have a long time to think about it and will miss all his kids football.
The true test of justice will come from the courts.

I would have been happy with a lifetime ban.
@southsideeagle let's hope the courts don't give him a slap on the wrist. If it was my son I'd want him to serve "some" jail time.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8