Channel ten want it all

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
That's tommorows backpage of the smelegraph. They are going to hard for the league rights. Eat a dick ch9 and fox no mates rates this time.

That's ok berks if ten offers 1 bil nine has to pay more. That's more money for the clubs

Nrl will do much more bargaining power with fox and 9 if ten goes hard.

CHANNEL 10's newly appointed chairman Lachlan Murdoch and his chief executive James Warburton are set to make an audacious bid to snatch the NRL broadcast rights from Nine.

The Daily Telegraph can today reveal Ten has dramatically ramped up its interest in the game in recent months, so much so that it is already working out budgets to televise all eight matches per week.

Until recently, its interest had been confined to high-rating Friday or Monday night matches - but that has changed. "We want it all," said one Ten source last night.

NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed last night that Murdoch and Warburton had indicated a stronger interest than just one game a week in recent negotiations.

"That simply confirms the conversations we've had with James Warburton and Lachlan Murdoch in recent weeks," Gallop said. "If you're running a network and there's the possibility of getting your hands on over 30 weeks of high-rating cross-demographic content, you would be mad not to be interested."

The NRL is banking on a $1 billion payday from its next broadcast deal, which expires at the end of this year.

Gallop has long advocated the game would be willing to break up the television rights in order to bump up the value of the next deal.

It is understood Seven remains keen to broadcast State of Origin, although industry insiders said it has not discounted the idea of showing more matches.

Ten had appeared to lose interest in rugby league last year when it announced dedicated sports channel One HD would shift its focus to entertainment to take on Seven's digital channel 7mate.

Play Kennards Hire NRL Tipping 2012 

But it is understood Ten has now gone so far to start discussing possible commentary line-ups and production schedules to accommodate being the No. 1 rugby league broadcaster.

Murdoch, who was appointed chairman of Ten earlier this week, knows that Ten desperately needs high quality content on his network.There is also enormous pressure on the newly formed ARL Commission to strike a $1 billion-plus broadcast deal.

Chairman John Grant revealed last week that negotiations with current rights holders Nine and Fox Sports had started on February 1.

"Subject to our legal obligations, we would certainly consider breaking up our packages," Gallop said. "We are in exclusive negotiating periods with our incumbent rights holders but subject to that we are obviously interested in the other possibilities."

Ten remained tight-lipped on the network's interest in the rights last night. "We look at all sports rights as they become available," the spokesperson said.

This is Lachlan Murdoch, son of News Limited chairman, Super League supremo Rupert we're talking about. I'm not a fan of channel 9 but I was hoping to see News Limiteds influence in league waning. Wonder how much influence Rupert has over Lachlan? Was'nt David Gallop a News Limited employee at one time? Perhaps we should be careful what we wish for.

Moondog said:
This is Lachlan Murdoch, son of News Limited chairman, Super League supremo Rupert we're talking about. I'm not a fan of channel 9 but I was hoping to see News Limiteds influence in league waning. Wonder how much influence Rupert has over Lachlan? Was'nt David Gallop a News Limited employee at one time? Perhaps we should be careful what we wish for.

Don't the Murdoch's also own a share of Foxtel? If so, that only leaves 9 or 7 with no News limited ties i think.

Wouldn't mind getting a dedicated League channel if Fox have a big part in the next tv deal.

Its a laid down mizere. Channel 9 are gonsky. They a simply that much in the red they won't be able to compete against Ch 10 and Packers money.

IMO Channel One will be the new Commercial Rugby League Channel with possibly Andrew Moore and Blocker in the Commentary box. Total speculation but I'm confident on the outcome.

Im not too fancy when it comes to contracts, but i am wondering if channel 10's package is a way of avoiding ch 9's clauses. Channel 9 never will want all the league so does this change the goalposts

sure channel 9 still get the last chance but unless they match the same package does that allow 10 more wriggle room. In saying that ch 10 could still on sell rights depending on the contract to fox

Essentially you can add ch 7 and stokes into the equation they are all in this together . A number of joint ventures have been formed in recent years to ensure they all get a slice of the cake

Ch 10 interset may sound new but this rights deal has been forming for many years with all major parties in this up to there necks. Nothing is coming from left field. This is a very calculated deliberate pawn in the game, with the IC just another pawn

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Ch9 have the 1st right of refusal whatever that means

It means that if the NRL deals with all the interested parties (including Ch9) and then sees that the best option is a deal with Ch10 for a $1.2bil deal, then the NRL must approach Ch9 and offer them the option to buy for $1.2bil. If Ch9 agree, then they win the rights. But if they refuse, then the original deal with Ch10 is processed.

Hamster Huey said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
Ch9 have the 1st right of refusal whatever that means

It means that if the NRL deals with all the interested parties (including Ch9) and then sees that the best option is a deal with Ch10 for a $1.2bil deal, then the NRL must approach Ch9 and offer them the option to buy for $1.2bil. If Ch9 agree, then they win the rights. But if they refuse, then the original deal with Ch10 is processed.

Hmm could backfire too
What if Ten come out and say $900mil
Should be like an auction

NRL need to sort out best times for games & then
Interested parties bid on
Friday night games
Super Saturday
Sunday &/Or Sunday night
MnF

Semi final series including the GF

State of Origin

Test Football

Pre season games WCC, Charity shield or possible pre season knockout tourny instead of trials

It would be great to break the stranglehold Channel Nine has on free TV RL coverage, so I'm hoping Channel Ten (and Channel Seven who are the financially strongest of the networks) get at least some of the action.
Not everybody has Foxtel, so Free TV coverage is vitally important.

I would dearly love to see 8 games a week on FTA. If it was on 10 (especially if it was in HD) it would be perfect. Unfortunately Lachlan won't allow Foxtel to take the financial hit for the benefit of 10.

a serious downside for 10 , they would probably roll out Billy J smith, in a tub of aging cream, hoist him up on a ladder, and let him do his porky pig impersonation of commentry again. Oh the fond memories

Bda bda bda thats all folks

dowdz said:
Moondog said:

Don't the Murdoch's also own a share of Foxtel? If so, that only leaves 9 or 7 with no News limited ties i think.

Wouldn't mind getting a dedicated League channel if Fox have a big part in the next tv deal.

It's an incestuous business. Foxtel is 50% owned by Telstra, 25% News Ltd and 25% Consolidated Media Holdings (CMH). CMH was exclusively owned by PBL (The Packers), but I believe that Channel 7 are now a major shareholder in CMH as well.

So try and get some independence out of that.

Chip and Chase said:
dowdz said:
Moondog said:

It's an incestuous business. Foxtel is 50% owned by Telstra, 25% News Ltd and 25% Consolidated Media Holdings (CMH). CMH was exclusively owned by PBL (The Packers), but I believe that Channel 7 are now a major shareholder in CMH as well.

So try and get some independence out of that.
Mate is that foxsports your talking about???
I was under the impression foxtel is a jv between fox and Telstra being 50% partners

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8