Cleary - Performance or Potential

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Clay

Bencher
The accolades being thown around for Nathan Cleary, are they deserved based on his performance or is he rated based on potential??

I've seen a few Panthers games this year and whilst he has a good kicking game I'm not seeing much else.
He is playing with one of the best rosters available. I don't see him creating overlaps or putting players through holes. I see Maloney running the show.

It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up like Mullen or Pearce. In my opinion he was quiet in Origin. As in an Origin series loss or two and he would be discarded for the next big thing.

He is so young he could turn out to be anything, I guess those observing behind the scenes would have the best knowledge to judge .

Edit: If a mod could fix the title that would be awesome

That same kicking game won the Panthers the semi-final against us last year. He turned us around all night...it's unheard of for a 20 year old (who was 19 at the time) to have such composure in a big game. He is already one of the best organising halves in the competition at such a tender age...imagine how good he'll be when he continues to learn more about the game...

In saying that, his performances are already first class. He wasn't lucky to score the winning try against us last week, he runs more Km's each week in matches than any player in the comp, and here he was leading the chase with Kikau in the 75th minute.

He tackles like a seasoned veteran, supports his forwards, kicks well and lets Maloney provide the spark. Let's not forget he kicked the winning field goal for Penrith v Canberra a month back; a genuine match winning half.

The kicking game is often the difference between winning and losing so that is a huge plus and defensively a solid defender, which is a Massive upside for a halfback.
His running game is good as he is pretty quick in open space....but have noticed he looks a little programmed in attack at times, kind of pre meditating the run or pass before the play.
Last season when he broke into the top grade, had a more care free style which was more dangerous imo, playing heads up footy.
Its almost like he is trying to be that safer half, who plays percentage footy and imo, think he has more ability to create than some of his 2018 form, which I agree has been good - but feel there's more on the shelf.
Personally rate him as a very good young player, who I hope evolves with his natural ability shining, rather than just another cookie cutter half with a kicking game.
If Manly somehow landed him would be pretty damn happy....and he can bring his dad too....

Hasn't hit his previous standard since the return from injury.
He will be a very good half for years to come there is no doubt. Gus managers him very well, I'll give him that

I agree 100% @Clay as i too have watched a number of their matches and have been far from impressed with him. He has been steady at best.

I think Maloney is only going on 3 cylinders at the moment too.

Second year is often difficult, the teams work you out, look at Tom T he has been nullified to a very average fullback you can no longer score tries. Although Cleary is suffering as much due to a lack of involvement.

He is not the messiah they all claim him to be. If I was Wests Tigers I wouldnt be punting Brookes for him, at least Brookes is a Tiger at heart.

I think you'll find the Panthers will make a big play for Ivan so the 2 will pair up there.
What happens when Ivan is shown the door down the track? It will be a saga at some stage when only one is required. Coaches don't last ten years with few exceptions.

I agree he is a good defender. Whilst I haven't seen him live, what I do see is Maloney organising and setting up plays. However from the TV you don't get to see everything.

What happens when Ivan is shown the door down the track? It will be a saga at some stage when only one is required. Coaches don't last ten years with few exceptions.

It has already happened to him once ... and he seems to have handled it .... they are both smart enough to figure it is likely to happen again ... but good point ..

I too thought he was pretty much non existent thru origin.. Basically stood back and watched cook and maloney do absolutely everything. And when he did kick, all bar 1 or 2 the entire series went directly down a qlders throat..

Now, that's likely fittlers fault, as I have no doubt he woulda been told as a rookie origin half to just help out when he can and let maloney lead, but the way the announcers went on constantly about him thru the series was a bit much for mine..

At a club level, great kid, would love to see him at manly.. If only we had a spot available in the halves and an average coach we could let go for Ivan

That same kicking game won the Panthers the semi-final against us last year. He turned us around all night...it's unheard of for a 20 year old (who was 19 at the time) to have such composure in a big game. He is already one of the best organising halves in the competition at such a tender age...imagine how good he'll be when he continues to learn more about the game...

In saying that, his performances are already first class. He wasn't lucky to score the winning try against us last week, he runs more Km's each week in matches than any player in the comp, and here he was leading the chase with Kikau in the 75th minute.

He tackles like a seasoned veteran, supports his forwards, kicks well and lets Maloney provide the spark. Let's not forget he kicked the winning field goal for Penrith v Canberra a month back; a genuine match winning half.
Ivan....is that you?

The love for Cleary ( Dad) on here has surprised me to be honest , yes he’s a Manly boy BUT he’s not had much success wherever he’s coached.

I did see his stats on Twitter , and they aren’t a great deal better than Barrett.
I think the love for Ivan stems from the fact he’s the only former Manly player currently a first grade coach.He has improved every team he’s gone to but those teams really only had one way to go and that was up.The jury’s still out on him in my opinion

I think you'll find the Panthers will make a big play for Ivan so the 2 will pair up there.
EXCLUSIVE: The Penrith Panthers have offered Ivan Cleary a four-year deal from next season. It’s understood Ivan is considering asking for a release from Wests Tigers in the next 48 hours. Whether he gets one is a different story.
STORY: https://t.co/EIXhi9PjeO

The same situation could be asked of Tom T, at the moment we are paying him on potential

Cleary is a very good player and I would be taking a punt on him with big money

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10