Cliffy is poised to make a shock comeback

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
By James Phelps

September 22, 2007
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001023,00.html

NEWSFLASH: Manly great Cliff Lyons is poised to make a shock comeback to rugby league tonight for the Sea Eagles.

Manly sources last night revealed the 45-year-old former Test five-eighth was on stand-by, with Jamie Lyon in doubt with a mystery case of gout.

But if you believe that, then you probably also believed the news yesterday that Ben Kennedy was set to play for the Sea Eagles in tonight's grand final qualifier at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The rugby league community was yesterday sent into a spin when Manly media man Peter Peters declared on morning radio that the retired Kennedy was "on stand-by" for the clash against the Cowboys.

But what started as a joke quickly snowballed into a serious story, with major news outlets reporting Kennedy as a possible starter for the injured Glenn Stewart.

Kennedy signed a $3 NRL contract with Manly as an emergency back-up earlier this year, but on arrival in Sydney yesterday laughed off suggestions he had come out of retirement.

"The first I knew about it was at 4.30am on my way to work (at a fruit shop), and I heard on the radio that I was playing," Kennedy said.

"Basically I am coming down to watch a game of footy, have a beer and a feed tonight with my mates and wish Manly all the best.

"Now I have cameras and microphones in my face, so it's a little bit weird."

The rumour grew with such ferocity yesterday that the NRL was called in to send out a release on behalf of Manly denying the shock development.

For Manly coach Des Hasler, the bizarre distraction could not have come at a better time. He was able to prepare his side for tonight's clash away from prying eyes.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8