Club News 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

One killer punch put Craig Field in jail. Now he tells players to ‘own your actions’​

Christian Nicolussi

By Christian Nicolussi

February 22, 2023 — 8.08pm

Former Manly halfback Craig Field addressed Sea Eagles players on Tuesday and spoke about his time in jail for manslaughter and the need to “own your actions”.
Field was convicted for the one-punch death of Kelvin Kane at the Kingscliff Hotel in 2012.

Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton plead not guilty over alleged fight

https://silvertails.net/javascript:void(0);
After being released from prison at the start of last year, Field, now 50, revealed how he wanted to help young people by telling them his story.
“If I get a phone call from a club that wants some help in welfare or mentoring that is something I’d love to do,” Field told News Corp at the time.

Field played at South Sydney with new Sea Eagles chief executive Tony Mestrov, and spoke to the players at their Brookvale HQ. It was the first time he had spoken about his experience at an NRL club.
Each week a group of Manly development players with less than 15 games of NRL experience listen to stories from past players, but the senior Sea Eagles wanted to sit in and hear Field’s story.
Craig Field told Manly players about  gambling and life in prison.

Craig Field told Manly players about gambling and life in prison.Credit:Alfred Naupoto (Manly Media)
“He showed so much remorse and he owned his actions, and he wanted us to learn from it,” skipper Daly Cherry-Evans told the Herald. “He wants to help people learn before something like that happens.
“His key messages were, you need to own your actions, be accountable for who you are and what you do, and bad choices have bad consequences; be a good person and stay out of trouble.
“Some of the younger boys didn’t really know his story, but once he delved into it, it was easy to sit there and listen. He was really open about what had happened.
“Selfishly it was good to hear from him because we took a lot out of what Craig said.”
Craig Field addresses the Manly players on Tuesday.

Craig Field addresses the Manly players on Tuesday.Credit:Alfred Naupoto (Manly Media)
Coach Anthony Seibold said, “you could hear a pin drop” when Field spoke, and any NRL club or school would benefit from hearing his tale.
“It was the first time he had shared his story [with a group] and it was almost a weight off his shoulders, just to be vulnerable,” Seibold said.

The Sea Eagles were crowned the inaugural pre-season challenge winners, with $10,000 of the $100,000 prizemoney to be donated to local charity Bear Cottage.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mi...-nightclub-fight-charges-20230222-p5cmk7.html
Cherry-Evans will be one of 10 Sea Eagles to shave his head in the hope of raising more funds, which is already sitting close to $35,000.
Manly launched their season at North Head on Wednesday, Josh Schuster confirming he injured his calf in the opening minutes of last Friday’s trial, but said he was aiming to be back by round three.
Cooper Johns, the son of popular media identity and former Newcastle and Cronulla playmaker Matthew Johns, is on a $1000-a-week train-and-trial deal, but will fill the final spot on the top-30 roster before Saturday week’s opener against Canterbury.

Schuster, who will be the regular No.6 after Kieran Foran’s departure, said of his untimely injury: “It pulled up tight in the first five minutes of the first half, [but] I didn’t want to say anything because I hadn’t played in a long time. It got tighter throughout the game.
“I told ‘Seibs’ [Seibold] once went into the sheds and I said, ‘it’s not good’. I had scans on Monday and it confirmed a tear.”

Seems a lock in Johns is 6 now keen to see him in proper nrl hit out was impressive in trials. Hoping Weekes get spot on bench but they may not go that way

Cooper speaks very well, i thought he might just be a larrikin life of the party type but he showed some real maturity I thought. When he came to Manly I thought Meh but I'm now thinking he's a great asset for us this year. He'll do well against the Dogs too. Schu will be hoping not too wel!

Cooper speaks very well, i thought he might just be a larrikin life of the party type but he showed some real maturity I thought. When he came to Manly I thought Meh but I'm now thinking he's a great asset for us this year. He'll do well against the Dogs too. Schu will be hoping not too wel!
I get the feeling from that interview Johns may be a long term Manly player.

Last edited:
I was expecting a little more renunciation from the players. From the photo, it appears most haven't had full head shaves, but rather no.1 or no.2 cuts. Also, I would have expected facial hair to go :)

Of course, the main thing is that much needed funds are being raised for Bear Cottage :heavycheck:

Im hoping that every NRL squad player that is available but not in the game day 19 or injured is playing in the reggies EVERY WEEK, NOT just for match fitness but for a "team" mentality of NEXT MAN UP approach and they will be up and ready for an NRL call up if needed, and also so that the BWSE win the comp and put a bit of pride in wearing the sea Eagles logo.

For example
1- Toby
2- Veaga
3- Myers
4- Harper
5- Parker
6- Johns
7- Humphries
8- Tuitavaike
9- Roach
10- Fifita
11- S Fainu
12- Condon
13- Fulton
14- Matterson
15- Boyle
16- Diaz
17- Stuckey

Im hoping that every NRL squad player that is available but not in the game day 19 or injured is playing in the reggies EVERY WEEK, NOT just for match fitness but for a "team" mentality of NEXT MAN UP approach and they will be up and ready for an NRL call up if needed, and also so that the BWSE win the comp and put a bit of pride in wearing the sea Eagles logo.

For example
1- Toby
2- Veaga
3- Myers
4- Harper
5- Parker
6- Johns
7- Humphries
8- Tuitavaike
9- Roach
10- Fifita
11- S Fainu
12- Condon
13- Fulton
14- Matterson
15- Boyle
16- Diaz
17- Stuckey
A vastly different looking side.

For example
1- Toby
2- Veaga
3- Myers
4- Harper
5- Parker
6- Johns
7- Humphries
8- Tuitavaike
9- Roach
10- Fifita
11- S Fainu