Consolidated Media worried over price of NRL pay-tv rights

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Corso_Pete said:
I do not undertsand the hype of the TV money. All that will happen is that the salary cap will be increased and the players will will be the ones that that win, CEO's will be able to give themselves a payrise and the NRL will spend a few million on fighting the AFL in western Sydney. Will the extra money mean better games?, will it mean more people at matches? or will lead to a more even comp? I am pretty sure the answer to those questions is No.

All I see is longer & more ads on free to air and an increase in my monthly Foxtel bill.

I understand that with the expected salary cap/funding increase clubs will be allowed 30 players in their top squads and the minimum wage will increase.

Thsi shoiuld mean that the clubs have better quality depth to cover the injuries and younger players wil stay in the game longer as their salary will be higher.

The commision also needs to increase toyota cup to under 23 and provide funding for a strong reserve grade compettions which will also provide clubs with better depth and in theory better games.

Corso_Pete said:
I do not undertsand the hype of the TV money. All that will happen is that the salary cap will be increased and the players will will be the ones that that win, CEO's will be able to give themselves a payrise and the NRL will spend a few million on fighting the AFL in western Sydney. Will the extra money mean better games?, will it mean more people at matches? or will lead to a more even comp? I am pretty sure the answer to those questions is No.

All I see is longer & more ads on free to air and an increase in my monthly Foxtel bill.

To me, the grass roots of the game need an increase in funding and attention including more visits to schools to promote the game as the AFL is getting the monopoly with their AFL Auskick program.

I should also add to what I wrote above that I worked at a Primary School on the Gold Coast for about 5 years before I moved up here to Hervey Bay and over that 5 year period, I only ever saw the Titans have one visit to the school whereas the AFL were regular weekly visitors each year during their season promoting their game with Brisbane Lion visitations and the Auskick program.

gallop talks about "growing the games pie" incessantly. Its his catch phrase.

That pie also references the costs of the game, so any increase in revenue will be looked at by the IC with a view to allocating a % increase to the various cost centres of the game, including cap/club grants equalisation, grassroots, development & expansion programs, etc.

One would like to hope that funds being siphoned off and wasteful expenditure, as has been the case under news ltd/gallop rule, would cease.

tookey said:
The commision also needs to increase toyota cup to under 23 and provide funding for a strong reserve grade compettions which will also provide clubs with better depth and in theory better games.

Yes. We must return to those three-grade-team days, where the Under 20/23s play before the reserve graders and then the first grade. If some of the extra revenue goes to this then I'll be happy.

You'd think the costs would go down with one governing body rather than four and News not taking ten million a year from the NRL. And I agree Jethro, there needs to be more funding for grass roots and youth comps. I just hope the clubs don't run the IC like they're the only thing that matters.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4