Coote?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Holmsey

Bencher
High quality fullback, off contract. Anyone else think he'd be a good option? As much as I think Tom is a fullback and will play the majority of his career in that spot, it's obvious that he struggles with the fundamentals of the role. I would propose we sign Lachlan Coote to come play fullback for 2 or 3 years to help teach Tom but also make our side a better one. Coote plays fullback, does the exact role for us that he has at North Queensland, be the second kicker for our 7, do some organsing and play like a second 5/8 but with a very good kicking game. Tom moves to centre in defence, but in attack is given a license to roam, go anywhere on the field he wants. With Coote in the side Daly has another experienced playmaker to hold the side together meaning he doesn't have to shy away from taking opportunities just because he has to be around for last tackle. Surely we could afford Coote with all the players leaving and he would only want maximum of 500k. In the 6 depending on how the cap is after purchasing Coote I'd go after just a solid 6, someone who can do the job required like Hodkinson, Lamb or Jacks. If we can't pick up a 6 from outside the club then give the spot to T Wright. With Coote at 1 a running 6 becomes an option again.

1 Coote
2 Taufua
3 Walker
4 T Trbojevic
5 Kelly/Suli
6 Hodkinson/Lamb/Jacks/T Wright
7 Cherry-Evans

Anyway that's just a though on what I would do.

I thought last time he was up for a new contract he tested the market and then re-signed with the girls for supposedly way less everyone else was offering, so guess he will do the same again

• 🤝
Reactions: R3
Why is it every time Tom has a couple of bad games, everyone starts thinking we should buy another fullback and move Turbo to the centres?

Move Tom to the centres and you lose what he can add from fullback. Sure he's not in great form right now and I suspect that its largely because his head isn't in the right space. But in the centres he's limited to just one side of the field.

I agree with @Nice Beaver

Well, well, well... look who is back-peddling on his comments on my thread the other week regarding tommy t as not being best suited as our fullback. Nice one turbs

Well, well, well... look who is back-peddling on his comments on my thread the other week regarding tommy t as not being best suited as our fullback. Nice one turbs
This is just an idea, not based on Tom being a bad fullback as some say. I was thinking Coote more so for his kicking game and organising ability. Tom will still be our fullback long term regardless of who we sign.

No - pretty slow and seems injured half the time these days, though must say is a decent player....just the minimal money better spent elsewhere.

Really think that Anderson and Tom Wright would be quite capable of covering for Tom at full back in future seasons if he was unavailable for whatever reason .[ taking into account that Matt Wright is providing that role now ] If Walker and Kelly or Tom Wright [ or Croker ] for instance are not going to be considered as future 5 / 8 options , of course put the emphasis on bringing in a competent six . Players like Coote really would not bring much to improve the Manly back line stocks now , there are already good enough and capable back line players in the club already apart from an already established 5 / 8 . .

If he is a real talker which I suspect he is. He would be useful at either 6 or 1. We need more old wise heads. Got too many kids.
I'd go him as a 6. He has a great kicking game, and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty in defence.

No. Get Mbye to play fullback and kick goals. Have the Dogs pay as much of his pay as you can get so you strengthen us and weaken them at the same time. Move Tom to the centres and Kelly to wing or something.

High quality fullback, off contract. Anyone else think he'd be a good option? As much as I think Tom is a fullback and will play the majority of his career in that spot, it's obvious that he struggles with the fundamentals of the role. I would propose we sign Lachlan Coote to come play fullback for 2 or 3 years to help teach Tom but also make our side a better one. Coote plays fullback, does the exact role for us that he has at North Queensland, be the second kicker for our 7, do some organsing and play like a second 5/8 but with a very good kicking game. Tom moves to centre in defence, but in attack is given a license to roam, go anywhere on the field he wants. With Coote in the side Daly has another experienced playmaker to hold the side together meaning he doesn't have to shy away from taking opportunities just because he has to be around for last tackle. Surely we could afford Coote with all the players leaving and he would only want maximum of 500k. In the 6 depending on how the cap is after purchasing Coote I'd go after just a solid 6, someone who can do the job required like Hodkinson, Lamb or Jacks. If we can't pick up a 6 from outside the club then give the spot to T Wright. With Coote at 1 a running 6 becomes an option again.

1 Coote
2 Taufua
3 Walker
4 T Trbojevic
5 Kelly/Suli
6 Hodkinson/Lamb/Jacks/T Wright
7 Cherry-Evans

Anyway that's just a though on what I would do.

Watch out, writing anything negative about TT and Turbo1 will come out whinging

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8