Could this be the MODERN ERA blueprint and is Des onto it?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Jay Eagle

Reserve Grader
I say this with the way the game has evolved and so quickly in recent months, watching the teams that are doing well and their structures.
The game is fast becoming touch footy in attack BUT the tight fight for each other defence is a must when trying to stop that attack. So a blend of old school thinking with the new school flexibility.

players of real value need to not only be really good defenders but also be ball players or have an offload.

you need:
1- A ball playing fullback that plays ALL areas of the field including hit ups through the middle
2- 2 fast wingers that can finish tries and catch a high ball
3- 2 defensive centres that just run good lines in attack but are mainly DEFENSIVE Players
4- 7 Ball players- half, 5/8, hooker,Lock, Fullback and 2x second rowers
5- 6 x defensive middle men ( Props and Hooker 3 on at a time) with 3 on the bench for rotation, the key here is they have to hit and stick in defense and have the ability to offload in attack
6- A fast thinking dummy half who's main purpose is quick disposal and getting the ball to the right side of the ruck when needed, must also be a ball player and have speed.
7- 2x leaders controlling the attack on separate sides of the ruck, must be footy smart and play what they see
8- A fullback who controls the defence from the rear.

having SO many ball playing players in the team is exactly whats needed to play the sort of attacking game that will win matches in today's game and usually win with large margins.

Even with everyone fit and available I wouldn't be surprised to see our best 17 look like this and for the very reasons why I have listed above.

1- Turbo- Speed, Ball player, good defensive organiser
2- Saab- Speed, High ball
3- Harper- Speed , High ball
4- Parker- Defensive centre
5- Garrick- Defensive centre
6- Foran- Ball player, organiser
7- DCE- Ball player , organiser
8- Paseka- Defense, has an offload
9- Fainu- Defense, Ball player and very footy smart
10- Kapow- Defense- has an offload
11- Schuster- Defence- Ball player
12- Gauc- Defence- Ball player
13- Jake- Defence- Ball player
14- Walker- Defence- Ball player
15- Keppie- Defence, has an offload
16- Aloiai- Defence, has an offload
17- Lawton- Defence, Ball player

This train of thought would rule out players like:
Suli- Not good enough as a purely defensive centre, good in attack, but centres need to be defensive for the touch footy attack
Taufua- Not fast enough as a winger, not good under a high ball, great defender
Sirro- Doesn't have ball playing ability or the defense
Funa- Not good enough as a defensive centre or fast enough as a winger, good under high ball
Boyle- Not good enough in defence has no offload
Gosiewski- no offload, not a ball player, good defender

And players like these below would remain valuable to a team roster
Cust- Defense, Ball player
Croker- Defense, Ball player
Tuipulotu- Speed, height
Koula- Speed, defense
Davey- Defence, offload in attack
Toff- Defence
Saddler- good defender , has an offload

Undecided as i have not seen enough from them:
Burbo
Weeks
De Luis

thats 33 players and in my opinion if I had to let players go from the roster I would let players go from the "rule out" players above, yes they have some value and play some good footy but for the modern game they would be the players I would let go first before any others on the list.

what are your thoughts and why?

Pretty good summary Jay, ... (I realised that when I found myself agreeing with you)

Only player I would question your appraisal of is Siro ... whilst you are correct when reviewing his play over the past 2 years .. I am not convinced that he is such an old dog that he can't be taught new tricks .. he has played plenty of 5/8th, and can pass, he is big and athletic and can run a good line, his defense is also good .. wouldn't mind seeing him re-invented, possibly as a middle ...

I feel like Jake's defence is invaluable against good opposition, but he might need to drop a few kilos to be a bit more mobile in attack.

Lock forward is a role that looks like it is changing the most under the new rules, away from being a third prop and more towards a roving #6.

I feel like Jake's defence is invaluable against good opposition, but he might need to drop a few kilos to be a bit more mobile in attack.

Lock forward is a role that looks like it is changing the most under the new rules, away from being a third prop and more towards a roving #6.
I actually toyed with the idea of playing Paseka and Jake as starting front rowers and Marty to the bench as he would add a lot of impact, then bring Walker off my bench to lock....

Pretty good summary Jay, ... (I realised that when I found myself agreeing with you)

Only player I would question your appraisal of is Siro ... whilst you are correct when reviewing his play over the past 2 years .. I am not convinced that he is such an old dog that he can't be taught new tricks .. he has played plenty of 5/8th, and can pass, he is big and athletic and can run a good line, his defense is also good .. wouldn't mind seeing him re-invented, possibly as a middle ...
Yeah I really like Sirro as a player and found it hard to leave him out, but I was also trying to be really true to the train of thought about how the new game is going, and with Sirro I cant see the ball player, he actually stiffled a lot of our attack.
he may not be one of the first players I would let go but he would go before the others i listed.

The real winners from the "new game" are definitely Parker and Harper, both just happen to be defensive centres that have slotted in and I really cant see Des moving for that very reason.
No use having flashy backs who can't then defend when the opposition is playing touch footy out wide. Both Parker and Harper saved 2 or 3 tries against the Titans and without that we may have been on the wrong end of the scoreboard yesterday.... It may sound bizarre after teh fact of what actually happend but if we went into half time 36 or 42 to 8 it may have been a different story, and that wont be lost on Des.

i think sirro has been a little too comfortable, almost guaranteed a starting spot. he is well down the pecking order these days in my opinion. having to earn his spot is possibly the silver bullet he needs. if he doesnt get going soon though his goose will be cooked at manly

foran playing well makes his contract for next season an easy choice. that leaves schuster as back up and back row for another year. huamole is the man and lawnton is pretty handy and brings a lot of everything to the game. and keppie is really upping his game. despite sirros ability his contract price may be the sticking point

i think jake stays as first receiver as long as cherry is here so dont see him pushing into the front row

ol jetski should be worried

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10